Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgiving

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgivin

No, the restriction of just man-woman was lifted.

As far as I see it, all the ruling did was that. Age rules still apply, numbers still applied, close relative rules apply, etc. Like lifting the ban on race, this just lifted the restriction on gender.

That's it.

Did I miss some of the opinion? That's all that was challenged anyway.
    Last edited by alfablue; 09-04-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      No, the restriction of just man-woman was lifted.

As far as I see it, all the ruling did was that. Age rules still apply, numbers still applied, close relative rules apply, etc. Like lifting the ban on race, this just lifted the restriction on gender.

That's it.

Did I miss some of the opinion? That's all that was challenged anyway.
      No, you didn't. That's all it did.

Comment

Re: The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgivin

Kim Davis' attorney is arguing that the licenses issued today are "invalid" and "not worth the paper they're printed on," all because his client's name is not on them.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I wonder what Kim Davis' reaction would be if she went to Wendy's and ordered a Baconator, but the guy behind the counter wouldn't put bacon on it because eating pork goes against the shift manager's deeply held religious beliefs?
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            I wonder what Kim Davis' reaction would be if she went to Wendy's and ordered a Baconator, but the guy behind the counter wouldn't put bacon on it because eating pork goes against the shift manager's deeply held religious beliefs?

My guess is before she got famous she would have made a stink and demanded to be served, but now she'd be fully supportive so she doesn't appear ridiculously hypocritical.

Comment

A ruling that was arguably long overdue, surprised no one, and harms no one, and these bozos go on an attention-seeking binge.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                I hope she's harassed for a long time with people doing all manner of refusals to serve her.

Comment

Huckabee and some other guy are going to be leading a protest on Tuesday in Grayson, KY to demand Davis' release.
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Legal Beagles -- what is an immoral / illegal law and is it the duty of a citizen / office holder to oppose such a law? We have examples in the military where it is the duty of the soldier not to obey an illegal order. Does the same admonishment extend into the civilian sector?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                      Huckabee and some other guy are going to be leading a protest on Tuesday in Grayson, KY to demand Davis' release.
                      I hope those fvcksticks are reverse-trolled with massive amounts of dreaded same-sex kissing.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        I hope those fvcksticks are reverse-trolled with massive amounts of dreaded same-sex kissing.
                        Here's the facebook page for the protest: https://www.facebook.com/events/1716...y_type=regular

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Legal Beagles -- what is an immoral / illegal law and is it the duty of a citizen / office holder to oppose such a law? We have examples in the military where it is the duty of the soldier not to obey an illegal order. Does the same admonishment extend into the civilian sector?
                          Joe, with all due respect (and I really don't think you are a bad guy), it should not take a lawyer to realize the difference between a SCOTUS ruling from the country's top legal eagles who have the authority to interpret the law, and an order from a superior officer who does not.

Comment

Refuse and resign.

This has nothing to do with conscience. It's the child kicking and screaming by the candy display at the checkout stand.

Comment

As with all things, it depends. The big difference is that civilians are not conscripted, and don't sign their lives away to their jobs, thus they always have the option of quitting.

Also, gay marriage isn't illegal, no matter what you personally believe. The nation's highest court just issued a high profile ruling on that.

If you're truly asking generically and not simply begging the question, you say state your belief in court and let the courts decide. But if they say it's legal, as with gay marriage, then you **** well better understand it's legal and we're back to choosing between doing your job or quitting.

If it's legal but personally immoral, your option is to do it or quit if it involves an essential job function that cannot be reasonably accommodated. And note that reasonableness is a much more employer friendly standard for religious accommodation cases than disability ones.
                              Last edited by unofan; 09-04-2015, 09:58 PM.

Comment

"I'm sorry, I can't issue you this gun license due to my sincerely held religious beliefs. Thou shalt not kill. Doesn't get much clearer than that."

Watch Fox News have an existential crisis.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X