Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgiving

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgivin

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    I have previously posted the following conduct guides
    1. If it harms no one, do it.
    2. Protect the weak from the strong.

Obviously the extermination camp example runs afoul of the above. If a law violates one of the above, it should be opposed. Gay marriage does not.

I am not for gay marriage. I think SCOTUS made a mistake in the breadth of the ruling and should have left it to the individual states. They made the same mistake with Roe. Obviously, on this board, I am in the minority. Time will tell which path would have been better.
    I pose a question on the limits of Constitutional authority and you interpret it as my views.

But FF's post related to another challenge to PPACA. This time by the Congress taking the Executive to court. My question related to the Constitutional issue presented.

If one side of the triangle gets too powerful, what are the remedies?

Read it in that context and get back to me.
    So if you read my reply, I did address the question of triangle power- the relative power is very dependent on how you see the ruling. Some could easily question the legislature/public vote's authority to limit the rights of specific people as being an infringement of THEIR triangle power. But the essence of the court is to hold the right of the individual over the will of the masses.

My follow up question goes back to your earlier post that I included, where you listed your two conduct guides of being ok, which SSM seems very much to fit both, yet you are against SSM, and feel that the court overstepped it's bounds- leading to your new point.

I'm asking you to resolve the conflict of your points- SSM 1) harms nobody, and 2) gives equal rights to the minority gays over the majority Christian, yet you are against it.

In other words you ask the court to act in a manner where they fit your model of decision, but since you don't agree with it, it's overstepping their bounds on the magic triangle.

Otherwise, your hypothetical of the court overstepping their bounds really doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Comment

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgivin

I pose a question on the limits of Constitutional authority .... My question related to the Constitutional issue presented.

If one side of the triangle gets too powerful, what are the remedies?

Read it in that context and get back to me.
      That is exactly why Judge Collyer allowed that portion of the lawsuit to proceed. Congress has the sole constitutional power to appropriate funds. Therefore the Executive branch violated the Constitution by unilaterally appropriating funds for a purpose not authorized by Congress (namely by paying billions of dollars to insurance companies to cover losses they incurred under PPACA 'mandates'). Meanwhile she also disallowed another portion of the exact same lawsuit that said the Executive exceeded Constitutional authority by delaying the onset of the employer mandate. It was an interesting split decision. This case too will wind up in front of SCOTUS eventually.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

The fungus is spreading.

A second Oregon judge reportedly stopped performing marriages after a federal court struck down the state's ban on gay marriage, citing his personal religious beliefs.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."

God's not Caesar.
          This. Absolutely nailed it. (No pun intended...? :-/ )

Even using a line from the Bible.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            The fungus is spreading.
            Is there really pockets on the northern side of the left coast that buys into this tripe?
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              The fungus is spreading.
              Everyone does what's in their own self interest. Does anyone here not speed or jaywalk?

The system remains to blame. If the system chooses to not police itself, laws mean nothing.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Is there really pockets on the northern side of the left coast that buys into this tripe?
                I think you underestimate how many nutjobs there are once you get into the eastern parts of Oregon and Washington. It's like Utah out there.

Map of 2012 POTUS election results by county proves my point:

Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 09-10-2015, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Also, to correct my own grammar, I should have said "Are there..."
                  Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                    Same thing if God condemns pedophilia or incest. This is easy to flip around.
                    I don't need God to tell me pedophilia is abhorrent.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Eastern OR is host to the largest rodeo in the US (Pendleton). Those folks are basically Oklahomans living in a Wyoming climate.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                        Not really. Just a handful of people on this board who seem to enjoy complaining about things a lot, even at times when I agree with them and they're so used to complaining they don't notice.
                        You have our sympathy. It must be hard.

Comment

Pretty sad when the Courts have to protect us from the EPA.

http://www.startribune.com/court-rev...ees/326524291/

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          He does have an incredible burden to bear around here. It's quite stunning.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            It would be hard if I cared much what a few internet blowhards whinge about.
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              I don't need God to tell me pedophilia is abhorrent.
                              Whoosh. Again.
                              Originally posted by Priceless
                              Good to see you're so reasonable.
                              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                              Very well, said.
                              Originally posted by Rover
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                                Whoosh. Again.
                                This from the Whooshee King.

Comment

Working...
                                X