This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Has Shamalamadingdong ever properly ended a movie? All of his twist endings are lame as $hit.
    Having never seen any beyond Sixth Sense are they like Final Fantasy series twists or what?
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Movie Thread: Grab Some Popcorn, Enjoy The Show

Out of boredom went to God's of Egypt. Pretty meh. Nice tracts of land scenery, and a bunch of cgi.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        Out of boredom went to God's of Egypt. Pretty meh. Nice tracts of land scenery, and a bunch of cgi.
        Were the tracts eh-youge?

Comment

Eddie the Eagle

I'd admit, as a skier, I was in the tank for this movie. I wanted it to be good.

It was a solid sports flick. It had its cliches - the bullying Scandinavian squad and the super eeeeeevil head of the British Olympic Committee trying to hold him back. Worst of all, Hugh Jackman trying to play the washed up, drunken, ex-American rising star turned coach - he mailed in his performance and is just there to be eye candy for the housewives that bring their kids to this one. However, the rest of the acting is good. In particular, the guy playing Eddie Edwards was a convincing, virginal nerd with the dream of being an athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Eddie the Eagle

I'd admit, as a skier, I was in the tank for this movie. I wanted it to be good.

It was a solid sports flick. It had its cliches - the bullying Scandinavian squad and the super eeeeeevil head of the British Olympic Committee trying to hold him back. Worst of all, Hugh Jackman trying to play the washed up, drunken, ex-American rising star turned coach - he mailed in his performance and is just there to be eye candy for the housewives that bring their kids to this one. However, the rest of the acting is good. In particular, the guy playing Eddie Edwards was a convincing, virginal nerd with the dream of being an athlete.
            Good to know. I want to see this. Loved Eddie when he did his thing.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Good to know. I want to see this. Loved Eddie when he did his thing.
              Based on what I know, I would say the movie is only about half true, but such is Hollywood.

Comment

Based on what I know, I would say the movie is only about half true, but such is Hollywood.
                Figured. *shrug* Eddie still ruled, though.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Criterion Collection watched this past week:

Monterey Pop, D. A. Pennebaker (1968)
                  I’ve seen this before on PBS or something like that. Good festival shoot of behind the scenes activities, crowd happenings, and performances. The notable performances are The Who (Pete Townshend smashing guitar), Janis Joplin, Hendrix (Jimi making love to guitar), and Ravi Shankar.

Samurai Rebellion, Masaki Kobayashi (1967)
                  Father (Toshiro Mifune) and son stand up to their lord who has rejected one of his “wives” (even though she gave him an heir) and allowed Mifune’s son to marry her, but then wants her back. Good look at going against the system and standing up for what you believe in and not giving in to the powers that be. With some swordplay mixed in as well.

When Horror Came to Shochiku, Eclipse Series 37 (2012)
                  - The X From Outer Space, Kazui Nihonmatsu (1967)
                  - Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell, Hajime Sato (1968)
                  - The Living Skeleton, Hiroshi Matsuno (1968)
                  - Genocide, Kazui Nihonmatsu (1968)
                  These are mostly sci-fi with some horror thrown in. Some are campier than others—more B movie—but all good to watch. I particularly liked the black & white The Living Skeleton, which is mostly a pretty good ghost story about revenge.

Marketa Lazarová, František Vláčil (1967)
                  Very good Czech film about feuding families, one Christian, the other pagan, set sometime in the middle ages. Filmed in black and white, mostly in winter, on location, so it gives a very good feel for the real, though the director uses some somewhat surreal and dreamlike techniques to give the film an illusory feel. The actress who plays Marketa does an amazing job of portraying a young girl being pushed and pulled and knocked about in the violence and primitiveness of the times.

The Young Girls of Rochefort, Jacques Demy (1967)
                  Very good French musical about a travelling troupe that comes to town to perform and their involvement and inter-play with local town relationships. Particular focus on two sisters of the town, one a dancer (Catherine Deneuve) the other a pianst/compsoser (Deneuve’s real sister, Francoise Dorleac). Gene Kelly is also in the movie in a supporting role; and, at 55, looking and dancing like he’s in his 20s or 30s.

A Colt is My Passport, Takashi Nomura (1967) Nikkatsu Noir, Eclipse Series 17 (2009)
                  Final movie in this Eclipse Series, and probably the best. A hit man, Shuji (Joe Shishido), tries to stay alive after making a hit for one of two warring gangs. After the killing, the gangs decide to merge and the wronged gang wants the hit man eliminated, subterfuge ensues.
                  NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Spotlight: It's straight reporting of straight reporting, but man... it really makes you think about the stupidity of that celibacy thing and the unbelievable corruption that must be festering in the Vatican (the most shocking part of the movie to me was the tidbit, right before credits rolled, that Cardinal Law was appointed to a high-ranking position in Rome following his unmasking in the U.S.) Also I have a secret crush on Rachel McAdams.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      Were the tracts eh-youge?
                      This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.

/Johnnie Cochran
                        FYP, in honor of the recent broadcast of American Crime Story.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Just ordered the DVDs for a handful of my favorite bad movies. Troll 2, Dungeons & Dragons, Vertical Limit, and The Langoliers. Looking forward to having these unintentional comedies in my collection.

Comment

Just ordered the DVDs for a handful of my favorite bad movies. Troll 2, Dungeons & Dragons, Vertical Limit, and The Langoliers. Looking forward to having these unintentional comedies in my collection.
                            TROLL 2?! My God, man.....

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              TROLL 2?! My God, man.....
                              It's easily the worst movie in that list, but I'm looking forward to owning D&D the most. Uncle Scar's overacting is truly spectacular - right up there with the average Nic Cage flick. Irons doesn't just chew the scenery - he devours it, vomits it back up, and swallows it again.

Comment

It's easily the worst movie in that list, but I'm looking forward to owning D&D the most. Uncle Scar's overacting is truly spectacular - right up there with the average Nic Cage flick. Irons doesn't just chew the scenery - he devours it, vomits it back up, and swallows it again.
                                Having watched a doc on Troll 2, and seeing Troll 2....and loving bad movies...I still question that choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X