X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread: Grab Some Popcorn, Enjoy The Show

Criterion Collection watched this past week:

I Am Curious—Yellow, Vilgot Sjöman (1967)
    I Am Curious—Blue, Vilgot Sjöman (1968)
    Sjöman’s look at 1960s Sweden mostly through the story and eyes of Lena, a strong-willed, adventurous, young woman. Both movies are of the same shoot, but due to the extensive filming, they simply vary in subject matter: sex, crime and punishment, politics, class, work, etc. Initially banned in the United States and other places in the world.

Kinosh i ta and World War II, Eclipse Series 41 (2014)
    - Port of Flowers, Keisuke Kinosh i ta (1943)
    - The Living Magoroku, Keisuke Kinosh i ta (1943)
    - Jubilation Street, Keisuke Kinosh i ta (1944)
    - Army, Keisuke Kinosh i ta (1944)
    - Morning for the Osone Family, Keisuke Kinosh i ta (1946)
    I’m currently reading a history on post-WWII Japan, Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II by John W. Dower, so these movies were good to watch in order to give context during the war as well as after. Kino****a was a pacifist and a humanist, so even his wartime films have a very good universal tone to them, showing the Japanese people in their daily lives much as you would any other place in the world, but mixed with the war mind-set of the militarists and ultranationalists.

2 or 3 Things I Know About Her, Jean-Luc Godard (1967)
    Godard is an interesting filmmaker, but difficult for me to understand. So, I’m glad that Criterion offers a visual essay in the supplements as a concordance to the film. *

The Two Of Us or Le vieil homme et l’enfant, Claude Berri (1967)
    Very good story of a young Jewish boy sent by his parents to the French countryside during WWII to live with an older Catholic couple who are unaware of his being Jewish. The old man, played by the remarkable Michel Simon, is a bigot and anti-Semite, but a good soul. The boy becomes enamored with him and they share many delightful moments together despite their unknown differences. Based on Berri’s life experience during the occupation. Wonderful film!

Weekend, Jean-Luc Godard (1967)
    * See above. This film does have some remarkable scenes in a sort of modern apocalyptic tale. I particularly like the drum solo with song; “Greetings, ancient ocean! Ocean, often I have asked myself which is the easier to divine: the depth of the ocean or the depth of the human heart….” From a poem by Isidore-Lucien Ducasse, which became a “keystone” for the surrealists according to the Criterion supplement.
    Last edited by aygwm2; 02-21-2016, 12:21 PM.
    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies

Apparently is was actually a mini-series, not a movie; Netflix sometimes fails to make this distinction. To be fair, IMDB said it was 2 episodes, and the whole thing is only about 2 hours long....

Anyway, about a very odd former schoolteacher who is falsely accused of murder. I'll be frank: you need a lot of patience with this one. Very, very dry, slow, methodical (not meticulous; you'll understand this comment if/when you watch this), etc. It was ok as a viewing option, but probably wouldn't go out of my way to see it.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The Interview: It's the James Franco/Seth Rogan movie where they're sent to assassinate Kim Jong Un. If you liked their previous buddy comedy movies, you'll like this one. It's not great, but it's not horrible. I laughed quite a bit because I'm childish like that.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          The Interview: It's the James Franco/Seth Rogan movie where they're sent to assassinate Kim Jong Un. If you liked their previous buddy comedy movies, you'll like this one. It's not great, but it's not horrible. I laughed quite a bit because I'm childish like that.
          A Christmas classic.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

yip.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

MUCH better than it had any right to be. MUCH better. Still not great, but not horrible by any means.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I fell asleep while watching The Interview. On two separate occasions.

Comment

Hoop Dreams:

Finally got around to watching this. Great doc on following two Chi-town bouncyball players with aspirations of the NBA. I thought the doc overly villianized St Joseph's, but that is a nit-pick. What I got out of it was "pass the buck," as no one took responsibility for their actions. Schools, students, all of 'em. Kinda made me mad.

Brother's Keeper (1992):

Doc about 4 illiterate brothers, who farm in central NY. One is accused of (mercy) killing another, to end his suffering. Makes "Making A Murderer" look like a Matlock episode. And the brothers? They make the people in "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia" look like educated urbanites. I quite literally uttered "What in the actual eff?" more than a few times. That messed up. Highly recommend.
                  Last edited by The Rube; 02-21-2016, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Rewatched A Few Good Men...still love it
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Rewatched A Few Good Men...still love it
                      Great movie. Just solid the whole way through.

"I need my bat."

Comment

The baseball game he is watching when Demi Moore asks him out to dinner is the Twins vs. Baltimore where they stopped the streak back in '91
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          The baseball game he is watching when Demi Moore asks him out to dinner is the Twins vs. Baltimore where they stopped the streak back in '91
                          Oh God, that's right....wasn't it 0-19? Something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Oh God, that's right....wasn't it 0-19? Something like that?
                            1988. 21 games. Broken by Chicago.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              1988. 21 games. Broken by Chicago.
                              Wrong streak, Brent and Kepler. The 1991 season had the Twins go on a 15-0 streak that was ended by the Orioles on June 18. A Few Good Men was released in 1992.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Wrong streak, Brent and Kepler. The 1991 season had the Twins go on a 15-0 streak that was ended by the Orioles on June 18. A Few Good Men was released in 1992.
                                Yes that would be the one.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X