X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread: Grab Some Popcorn, Enjoy The Show

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Edit: my fave HO line is so simple, but given the character and the situation, and the scene...beauty:
    Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    My favorite HO quote is still:
    Alan: It's not illegal, it's frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Agreed. And HO 1 was good, and still is good.

As for Deadpool, no child should be entering that theater, from all accounts/reviews. Those parents are morons. Or "morans," to keep the bit going.

Edit: my fave HO line is so simple, but given the character and the situation, and the scene...beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPHwjD-g1L0
      One of the feeds I get on Facebook added a JPEG of a Facebook conversation that went like this:

Original Poster: [My husband] and I left with [our son] after 15 minutes. They should have told people that this movie isn't for families with children.
      First Responding Friend: Oh that's horrible!
      Second Responding Friend: It's rated R.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Agreed. And HO 1 was good, and still is good.

As for Deadpool, no child should be entering that theater, from all accounts/reviews. Those parents are morons. Or "morans," to keep the bit going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPHwjD-g1L0
        My "child" went last Friday night with 5 buddies, of course he's 18 so....

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          My child's 24, though she varies between 4 and 64.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

DVR'd Casablanca off TCM and watched it again last night for the umpteenth time. Just calling it a great movie does it an injustice. And Ingrid Bergman.........let's just say I dreamt well.
            "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
            Groucho Marx
            "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
            Ron White
            "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
            Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
              DVR'd Casablanca off TCM and watched it again last night for the umpteenth time. Just calling it a great movie does it an injustice. And Ingrid Bergman.........let's just say I dreamt well.
              I missed that movie but I saw the end of Sabrina and then I watched the end of Now, Voyager. I'd add those to the ROM COM lists we were working on before. I had forgotten about them. Fact is there are so many old movies that are not ROM COM's cause they predate the term but are so good and so much better than the crap today it's startling.

Love Casablanca though. Can't go wrong there.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

TCM rocks in February; they roll out all their Oscar winners. I typically record 4 or 5 movies a month; this month I have been recording 4 or 5 a week.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Feb. on TCM is the best. I've got Sabrina on the DVR also. Waiting for my youngest to come home and watch it with me. She just loves Hepburn and I try not to drool too much.
                  "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                  Groucho Marx
                  "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                  Ron White
                  "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                  Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                    Then let me restate: no minor should really be watching this movie.

And haven't seen Casablanca. Yes, you know the line: It's on my list.

Watched "Experimenter" tonight, a biopic on Stanley Milgram, a psychologist that did experiments on human behavior/obeying authority. Very, very dry, I'm assuming it was based on a play, as that how the movie was presented (w/backgrounds and such). Either way, I liked it. Really drove home the trends of human behavior, which I'm always curious about.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      One of the feeds I get on Facebook added a JPEG of a Facebook conversation that went like this:

Original Poster: [My husband] and I left with [our son] after 15 minutes. They should have told people that this movie isn't for families with children.
                      First Responding Friend: Oh that's horrible!
                      Second Responding Friend: It's rated R.
                      Know the source material better than just that its a comic book movie. Deadpool isn't meant to be PG! He's a dirty, naughty boy who enjoys it too much when he gets spanked!
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        Alan: It's not illegal, it's frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.
                        Is this the REAL Caesar's Palace?
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Richard Dreyfus vs Bill Murray. "What About Bob?" Laugh myself to tears every time I see it.
                          Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                            Richard Dreyfus vs Bill Murray. "What About Bob?" Laugh myself to tears every time I see it.
                            "Baby step to the elevator"

"I'm SAILING!"

Guilty pleasure of mine too.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              "Baby step to the elevator"

"I'm SAILING!"

Guilty pleasure of mine too.
                              Yep. Definitely one of my all time fave comedies.

"He's not gone!!!!!! He's never gone!!!!!"
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Straight Outta Compton:

Excellent movie. O'Shea Jr....JFC. He IS his dad (better known as Ice Cube). Every mannerism, inflection in voice, EVERYTHING. The rest of the casting was really good, but **** for O'Shea. Yes, there is some fiction in the movie, go figure, but all was well done. The only real nitpick I had was the jumpiness in the movie after Cube left the group. There is a bit of filling in the blanks, if you are not a rap fan or at least don't know about the players at the time (Suge/Heller storylines, etc).

I will eventually buy the director's cut, that is for certain. Not only do I want to see the FULL version, but the extras sound awesome (live in DET concert, etc).
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X