This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread: Grab Some Popcorn, Enjoy The Show

Lone Surivor was a good story but I wasn't anywhere close to tears on that one. Good movie imho but American Sniper was a better movie and imho a better story.

I do agree with you on Sicario though - I liked it didn't love it.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 01-30-2016, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Lone Surivor was a good story but I wasn't anywhere close to tears on that one. Good movie imho but American Sniper was a better movie and imho a better story.

I do agree with you on Sicario though - I liked it didn't love it.
      GTFO of my country!! Oh....wait......nm.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        GTFO of my country!! Oh....wait......nm.

Maybe we could get him kept out....?

Just a thought.

Comment

Criterion Collection movies watched this past week:

Speedy, Ted Wilde (1928) - Harold Lloyd in NYC
          - Some of this was filmed in NYC, so it's great to see the city as it looked in the 20s. Babe Ruth makes an appearance. A trip to Coney Island, featuring a number of rides, and Luna Park at night. Great gags by Lloyd throughout the film. This is a timeless gem.

That Hamilton Woman, Alexander Korda (1941) - Vivien Leigh & Olivier
          - Apparently Winston Churchill is said to have watched this film "over eighty times." A sort of veiled piece of propaganda to show what England faced with Hitler's threat as related to Horatio Nelson fighting off Napoleon during the late 18th century. Plus the love affair Nelson had with Lady Hamilton and the resulting consequences of that relationship.

Seconds, John Frankenheimer (1966)
          - kind of a contemporary psychological/sociological Frankenstein film. How do we deal with a new life after we've been changed over into something physically new, but we're the same inside? Rock Hudson is great in this mostly dramatic role, as is the rest of the cast.

Le deuxième soufflé or Second Wind, Jean-Pierre Melville (1966)
          - French crime film about an escaped felon who cannot escape his former life of crime and murder.

Persona, Ingmar Bergman (1966)
          - Another interesting psychological/sociological film about who we really are as individuals.

The Shooting, Monte Hellman (1966) - western with Jack Nicholson
          Ride in the Whirlwind, Monte Hellman (1966) - western w/Nicholson
          - Two very good existential/minimalist westerns shot on location in the "moonscape" of Utah, some of which is now under Lake Powell.

Bitter Rice or Riso amaro, Giuseppe De Santis (1949)
          - neorealist Italian film centered around the women who plant and harvest rice in northwestern Italy. Crime, murder, and desire fill out this kind of pulp melodrama.
          NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

M (1931)

Pedophile/child murderer eludes the police, but the criminal underworld (due to their operations being raided in the manhunt) gets involved to find the guy.

Great movie. Very harsh content especially given the time. The suspense, the drama, etc...highly recommend.
            Very good with Peter Lorre, by the master German director Fritz Lang.
            NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Child 44:

All star cast, IMO. Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace (Girl With trilogy in Sweden, the 2nd Sherlock Holmes movie), Gary Oldman, and Vincent Cassel (another favorite of mine, most known as the bad guy in the Ocean's movies with Clooney).

The story is beyond disjointed. Absolutely no direction or smoothness to the telling of it. The accents (Russian)? Hit and miss. At best. The portrayal of the Russian system at the time? Kudos. Very well done. I saw a trailer before it came out in theaters, and I had high hopes. Saw many reviews, tempered my hopes. And it STILL disappointed. I gave up after watching 3/4 of it, and just wiki'd the ending. That frustrating of a movie. Don't bother, even if you are a fan of all the actors involved.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Russian accents are always the worst. Rarely does any non-Eastern Euro actor get it right. Always too much "Moose & Sqvuirrel".

One of the most unintentionally comical scenes in The Hunt for Red October is Connery's Scottish-speaking-Russian accent vs. Baldwin's semi-legit one.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Russian accents are always the worst. Rarely does any non-Eastern Euro actor get it right. Always too much "Moose & Sqvuirrel".

One of the most unintentionally comical scenes in The Hunt for Red October is Connery's Scottish-speaking-Russian accent vs. Baldwin's semi-legit one.
                  Viggo Mortensen nailed it in "Eastern Promises."

From IMDB:
                  One day after shooting, Viggo Mortensen went to a pub without washing off his tattoos or even changing out of his costume. He claims that some of the patrons became very frightened of him, assuming he was a real member of Vory v Zakone (my note: Russian mafia)

Comment

Cartel Land

Documentary obviously slanted towards vigilante militias (touches on the US, more focused on the Mexican Autodefensas) fighting against the cartels. Pretty intense look at it, some gunfights caught on tape and such. However, it doesn't make the vigilantes look like saints. There's more than a few moments where you are shaking your head at what the vigilantes are doing/thinking. In the end, it does summarize the problem in Mexico with the cartels quite fairly...because it really is the truth.
                    Watched it tonight. Crazy shyte going on down there in Mexico. Seen Sicorio yet? Watched that this afternoon. It's pretty good.
                    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                      Watched it tonight. Crazy shyte going on down there in Mexico. Seen Sicorio yet? Watched that this afternoon. It's pretty good.
                      I did. The characters were too defined. You knew what they would and would not do. Could have reached that next level, but went Hollywood safe on it. Gave it 4/5 stars, it could've easily been a 4.5 or even 5.

Comment

Viggo Mortensen nailed it in "Eastern Promises."

From IMDB:
                        One day after shooting, Viggo Mortensen went to a pub without washing off his tattoos or even changing out of his costume. He claims that some of the patrons became very frightened of him, assuming he was a real member of Vory v Zakone (my note: Russian mafia)
                        IMHO Sean Bean nails it in Legends.
                        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Groundhog Day. Today's the day for it....

Rita: [Phil has described several people in the diner] What about me, Phil? Do you know me too?
                          Phil: I know all about you. You like producing, but you hope for more than Channel 9 Pittsburgh.
                          Rita: Well, everyone knows that!
                          Phil: You like boats, but not the ocean. You go to a lake in the summer with your family up in the mountains. There's a long wooden dock and a boathouse with boards missing from the roof, and a place you used to crawl underneath to be alone. You're a sucker for French poetry and rhinestones. You're very generous. You're kind to strangers and children, and when you stand in the snow you look like an angel.
                          Rita: [in wonder] How are you doing this?
                          Phil: I told you. I wake up every day, right here, right in Punxsutawney, and it's always February 2nd, and there's nothing I can do about it.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Grading of all RomComs in history:

Groundhog Day: A
                            Fifty First Dates: B+
                            When Harry Met Sally: B
                            all others: F

Note: RomComs begin in 1970. Prior to that directors and writers were competent enough to make great movies that also happened to involve romance and comedy. For example:

Bringing Up Baby: A+
                            The Philadelphia Story: A+
                            His Girl Friday: A+
                            It Happened One Night: A+
                            Last edited by Kepler; 02-02-2016, 03:02 PM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Grading of all RomComs in history:

Groundhog Day: A
                              Fifty First Dates: B+
                              When Harry Met Sally: B
                              all others: F
                              You've obviously never seen The Sure Thing. A+.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                You've obviously never seen The Philadelphia Story or The Sure Thing. Both A+.
                                You replied before I added my footnote.

I have not, however seen The Sure Thing. I take it I should?
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X