X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movie Thread: Grab Some Popcorn, Enjoy The Show

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    It might've been a direct to DVD release, but it's just too good for me to have not heard of it before. I was watching a series of horrible movies (I, Frankenstein - I had really low expectations and it failed to even meet them despite having Bill Nighy and Aaron Eckhart) when Tucker & Dale came up in the suggested viewings list. I read the synopsis, saw that it had Alan Tudyk and that guy who starred in Reaper (TV show), so I gave it a whirl. Freaking great!
    I heard of it from melmac and bbdl, IIRC (definitely melmac). Gave it a whirl, and all the love. Friggin' fantastic.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Pixels - better than it had any right to be given so much of Sandler's work but I laughed often and there no extended dead spots.

Comment

My favorite part is when the kid dives into the wood chipper.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Movies watch in August (* Criterion Collection)

Kiss Me Deadly, Robert Aldrich (1955) *
          Selma, Ava DuVernay (2014)
          Written on the Wind, Douglas Sirk (1956) *
          And God Created Woman or Et Dieu…créa la femme, Roger Vadim (1956) *
          Les Diabolique, Henri-Georges Clouzot (1955) *
          Rififi or Du rififi chez les homes, Jules Dassin (1955) *
          Jubal, Delmer Daves (1956) *
          A Man Escaped or Un con****é à mort s’est échappé, Robert Bresson (1956) *
          Masaki Kobayashi Against The System, Eclipse Series 38 (2013) *
          - The Thick-Walled Room, Masaki Kobayashi (1953, released 1956)
          - I Will Buy You, Masaki Kobayashi (1956)
          - Black River, Masaki Kobayashi (1956)
          - The Inheritance, Masaki Kobayashi (1962)
          Late Ozu, Eclipse Series 3 (2007) *
          - Early Spring, Yasujiro Ozu (1956)
          - Tokyo Twilight, Yasujiro Ozu (1957)
          - Equinox Flower, Yasujiro Ozu (1958)
          - Late Autumn, Yasujiro Ozu (1960)
          - The End of Summer, Yasujiro Ozu (1961)

Early Bergman, Eclipse Series 1 (2007) *
          - Torment, Alf Sjöberg (1944)
          - Crisis, Ingmar Bergman (1946)
          - Port of Call, Ingmar Bergman (1948)
          - Thirst, Ingmar Bergman (1949)
          - To Joy, Ingmar Bergman (1950)
          The Burmese Harp, Kon Ichikawa (1956) *
          Crazed Fruit, Ko Nakahira (1956) *

Elena and Her Men, Jean Renoir (1956) *
          The Red Balloon, Albert Lamorisse (1956) *
          Bigger Than Life, Nicholas Ray (1956) *
          Gervaise, René Clément (1956) *
          The Seventh Seal or Det sjunde inseglet, Ingmar Bergman (1957) *
          Wild Strawberries or Smultronstället, Ingmar Bergman (1957) *

Nights of Cabiria or Le notti di Cabiria, Federico Fellini (1957) *
          The Cranes Are Flying, Mikhail Kalatozov (1957) *
          Mr. Turner, Mike Leigh (2014)
          12 Angry Men, Sidney Lumet (1957) *
          Throne of Blood, Akira Kurosawa (1957) *
          Life Itself, Steve James (2014)
          Elevator to the Gallows, Louis Malle (1957) *
          3:10 to Yuma, Delmer Daves (1957) *
          The Lower Depths or どん底 Donzoko, Akira Kurosawa 黒澤 明 (1957) *

Le notti blanche, Luchino Visconti (1957) *
          Kanal, Andrzej Wajda (1957)
          Nikkatsu Noir, Eclipse Series 17 (2009), I Am Waiting, Koreyoshi Kurahara (1957) *

So, I had just typed out a bunch of comments on selected films watched in August...and then lost it all. So I'm simply posting the films.

All are worth watching, but the ones in bold I recommend.
          NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

So after the Mel Gibson discussion we had last week, I decided I'd pick up The Bounty while it was still available. Did a little searching, and found there's a company called Twilight Time who come out with limited edition blu-rays of certain movies, and The Bounty was one of them. From one review I read, they say the regular dvd picture looks likes total crap when compared to this transfer by Twilight Time. Others with more blu-ray experience and better systems than mine have said that while it's better than the dvd, it's not comparable to true blu-ray quality. Good comparison site here, hold your cursor on the image for the dvd picture, and then move it off for the blu-ray image to appear.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...ss=1#vergleich

So I went ahead and ordered it. Only 3000 copies available, and yeah, it was a bit pricey, but not too bad.

The movie looks absolutely stunning to my eyes. Any time there's a long shot of the ship at sea, or framed against the island paradise, sunsets or clouded dusk skies, it's just absolutely gorgeous. The cinematographer on this film was a true artist.

*******http://s4.postimg.org/d5eb71dws/2015...26.jpg********

And the score by Vangelis is amazing as well, majestic and stirring, from the moment it starts in right after the MGM lion's roar(on the dvd, the roar comes in in the middle of the musical opening), and continues on after the credits end, not cut off as on the dvd.

Probably the best version you'll be able to find, unless they do a complete restoration for 4k digital, which seems unlikely. You can find it available here.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_...E-BOUNTY-1984/

They've also got a blu-ray of Breaking Away that I might have to pick up.
            Last edited by rufus; 09-03-2015, 10:29 AM.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Mission Impossible Rogue Nation was cromulent
              I'll save you guys the trouble:
              cromulent
              adjective
              1. fine, acceptable
              2. Appearing legitimate but actually being spurious
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                I'll save you guys the trouble:
                I meant definition 1.

I re-watched Harper for about the 8th time, and I still enjoy it. My god it's a period piece for the 60s though. Among the highpoints:

+ Strother Martin ("See this quarter? It used to be a nickle.") in a serious role.
                + Lauren Bacall chewing scenery and still being lovely despite pushing 80*
                + Robert Wagner being completely gratuitous cheesecake
                + Shelley Winters playing Shelley Winters
                + A William Goldman script

The book it is based on is Ross MacDonald's The Moving Target, which was the first in his Lew Archer** series that is endless and outstanding if you like hard boiled self-parody. I've read most of them and Newman is actually a good Harper/Archer, though a little young.

Anyway, B+, won't ennoble you but won't kill too many braincells either.

* Holy crap, I looked it up and Bacall was only 42. She is lovely, but the mileage man, the mileage... She looks like an old actress playing a middle aged woman, but she's actually a middle aged actress looking like an old actress playing a middle aged woman.

** Fascinating bit from Wikipedia:
                The script was originally called Archer. The name of the lead character was changed from Lew Archer to Harper because the producers had not bought the rights to the series, just to The Moving Target.
                Any intellectual property lawyers out there? That's interesting.
                Last edited by Kepler; 09-03-2015, 10:18 AM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Three films were enough!

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.asp...rman&id=558478
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Three films were enough!

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.asp...rman&id=558478
                    One film was enough.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

"One-Minute Time Machine", a funny short film (~5 min)

Starts out kind of like Groundhog Day, then gets interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkBS4O3yvY
                      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Time Lapse:

Three friends discover a mysterious machine that takes pictures 24hrs into the future and conspire to use it for personal gain, until disturbing and dangerous images begin to develop.

At times, the dialogue/acting was not the greatest by any means. Very B-movie (and given the budget, understandable). However, love the story and the implications of the "chicken vs egg" arguments. A photo is definitely not all that it appears to be. Recommend, for sure.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It was so much worse than expected. There was only one good scene in the entire movie and it only lasted some ten seconds. When I was a teenager, my brother, his fiancee and my eventually nephew were living in parents' home and I watched that TV show with my nephew while babysitting him. The movie had so much promise to be corny fun, but Bay just ruined it. The movies from the early 90's were so much better with those guys wearing cheesy costumes. How does Bay continue to get projects?
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It was so much worse than expected. There was only one good scene in the entire movie and it only lasted some ten seconds. When I was a teenager, my brother, his fiancee and my eventually nephew were living in parents' home and I watched that TV show with my nephew while babysitting him. The movie had so much promise to be corny fun, but Bay just ruined it. The movies from the early 90's were so much better with those guys wearing cheesy costumes. How does Bay continue to get projects?
                            Read the Eastman/Laird comics as a kid (they were a BIT darker than the cartoon, etc). Movie was cheesy fun. Uh, oh, here comes Bay. I am not even curious as to how bad it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Read the Eastman/Laird comics as a kid (they were a BIT darker than the cartoon, etc). Movie was cheesy fun. Uh, oh, here comes Bay. I am not even curious as to how bad it is.
                              The first Transformers movie - I liked it. While I know many people thought it was bad, it fit the feel of the TV show to me. He's done a few good movies over the years, but the stuff in the past 6-7 years have just been horrible. They're earning money based upon being sold on old TV franchises, but there has to be a point at which his name will kill any goodwill the history of the franchises could engender.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The first Transformers movie - I liked it. While I know many people thought it was bad, it fit the feel of the TV show to me. He's done a few good movies over the years, but the stuff in the past 6-7 years have just been horrible. They're earning money based upon being sold on old TV franchises, but there has to be a point at which his name will kill any goodwill the history of the franchises could engender.
                                The first Transformers, didn't expect much, and got exactly what I expected. A time-killer that didn't want to make me want to shoot myself. But overall, he's terrible. I think he and Adam Sandler have the same agent.

Comment

Working...
                                X