This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread: Grab Some Popcorn, Enjoy The Show

Some of you are fans of the horror genre...me, not so much. But, I watched a very good "gothic ghost" movie last night from 1961: The Innocents with Deborah Kerr in the leading role. Based on Henry James's The Turn of the Screw with screenplay cowritten by Truman Capote. The young boy who plays Miles was also in Village of the D a m n ed.

Might be a good Halloween movie.
    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
      Some of you are fans of the horror genre...me, not so much. But, I watched a very good "gothic ghost" movie last night from 1961: The Innocents with Deborah Kerr in the leading role. Based on Henry James's The Turn of the Screw with screenplay cowritten by Truman Capote. The young boy who plays Miles was also in Village of the D a m n ed.

Might be a good Halloween movie.
      It's a good treatment of a story that probably really shouldn't be made into a movie because the scariness takes flight in the reader's imagination. I'm currently reading Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, and it, similarly, is incomparably better than the 1963 film, even though the latter is really very good (and has both Riff from West Side Story and Miss Moneypenny!)
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

'71

British soldier is accidentally left behind in the wrong part of Belfast after a "home search" and riot.

Entertaining, for sure. It's more about how complicated all the relationships were between the UK, IRA, and Irish UK supporters. Worth a watch.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I watched the HBO film, The Leisure Class, last night. This is the movie that came out of the most recent Project Greenlight on HBO.

Man, I'm not sure you could make a worse movie. Completely unwatchable, and it's only 90 minutes long.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I watched the HBO film, The Leisure Class, last night. This is the movie that came out of the most recent Project Greenlight on HBO.

Man, I'm not sure you could make a worse movie. Completely unwatchable, and it's only 90 minutes long.
            Currently has a 0 on Rotten Tomatoes.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Currently has a 0 on Rotten Tomatoes.
              What was that piece of trash Skit 49 or something? It'd be hard to beat that. I made it through about 3.5 minutes before I shut it off. And ALL the stars were in that one...
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The Decline of Western Civilization. Classic punk documentary I hadn't seen since it came out in 1980. .
                Oddly enough, my local library will be screening this Friday night. I saw the messageboard out front and thought, nah, it can''t be the same film. But sure enough.........

Do I pass up Maine at BC to go see this instead? Probably will be more entertaining.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  Oddly enough, my local library will be screening this Friday night. I saw the messageboard out front and thought, nah, it can''t be the same film. But sure enough.........

Do I pass up Maine at BC to go see this instead? Probably will be more entertaining.
                  God no, go to the game. You can always Netflix Decline.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Watching Ratatouille, probably my favorite Pixar movie.

I have Inside Out coming to me from Amazon. Everything I've heard about it is positive...
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

God no, go to the game. You can always Netflix Decline.
                      Listen to the game, not go. Going out to the movie would be a social event.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        Listen to the game, not go. Going out to the movie would be a social event.
                        Bears have no shot. Nada. Go out and have fun
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Used to great effect in V for Vendetta, it's The Fifth of November.

Remember, remember!
                          The fifth of November,
                          The Gunpowder treason and plot;
                          I know of no reason
                          Why the Gunpowder treason
                          Should ever be forgot!
                          Guy Fawkes and his companions
                          Did the scheme contrive,
                          To blow the King and Parliament
                          All up alive.
                          Threescore barrels, laid below,
                          To prove old England's overthrow.
                          But, by God's providence, him they catch,
                          With a dark lantern, lighting a match!
                          A stick and a stake
                          For King James's sake!
                          If you won't give me one,
                          I'll take two,
                          The better for me,
                          And the worse for you.
                          A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope,
                          A penn'orth of cheese to choke him,
                          A pint of beer to wash it down,
                          And a jolly good fire to burn him.
                          Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring!
                          Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King!
                          Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Watched Inside Out last night; brilliant movie.

"San Francisco, you ruined pizza! First the Hawaiians, and now YOU!"
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Down Periscope. I'd forgotten how stupidly funny this movie is.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                Down Periscope. I'd forgotten how stupidly funny this movie is.

Executive Officer Martin T. 'Marty' Pascal: Jesus, Buckman! This stuff's been on the Stingray since Korea! This can expired in 1966!

Seaman Buckman: [tasting contents of can] What's the matter, sir? It still tastes like creamed corn.

Executive Officer Martin T. 'Marty' Pascal: Except it's *deviled ham*!

Seaman Buckman: Now that would be a problem.
                                Last edited by MissThundercat; 11-05-2015, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X