X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread: Grab Some Popcorn, Enjoy The Show

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The Martian: solid A. For all the screentime Damon gets, Mars itself is the star. Think of this as "Gravity without the training wheels parts."
    Holy schnit, I agree with Kep! Very enjoyable afternoon at the movies. A 2-tub of popcorn flick. Would be even better in Imax!
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Pretty much have to watch Serendipity whenever it comes on, as it just did. This one gives "chick flicks" a good name.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        Pretty much have to watch Serendipity whenever it comes on, as it just did. This one gives "chick flicks" a good name.
        I thought that was Princess Bride?
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I thought that was Princess Bride?
          Slowly I turned...

PB is not a chick flick.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Slowly I turned...

PB is not a chick flick.
            PB is a wonderful flick. I recall renting it for my young daughters and being completely surprised by it. The Miracle Max scene was among Crystal's, best IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              I love that movie. but then again, I'm a chick. It's a little less "chicky" and cookie cutter than a lot of chick flicks.

Comment

Slowly I turned...

PB is not a chick flick.
                It's either a chick flick disguised as a guy flick, or a guy flick disguised as a chick flick.

Just depends on your point of view.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Did anyone see the trailers for "Pan" and not think it would lost a lot of money?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Has anyone seen Einstein and Edddington? I saw the first 30 minutes but had to leave, and since I don't have it recorded I am curious if it's worth seeking out. I could see the rest of it going in either direction.
                    Wife and I enjoyed it. Nothing earth shattering but a well done historical piece.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      Wife and I enjoyed it. Nothing earth shattering but a well done historical piece.
                      Ok, thanks. I'll get to the rest of it.

PB is not a chick flick - I've never heard a chick ever quote a line from it.

Comment

In anticipation of the new Star Wars release one of my fave Bill Murray bits (a la the lounge singer):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53DQgbj2mIc

unofan - I saw the entirety of Einstein &... Agreed it's nothing monumental but I enjoyed it and better yet it was a story I knew nothing about.
                        Last edited by Slap Shot; 10-19-2015, 06:14 PM.

Comment

The Martian: solid A. For all the screentime Damon gets, Mars itself is the star. Think of this as "Gravity without the training wheels parts."
                          Quotes from the book make me want to both see the movie and pick up the book.
                          http://imgur.com/gallery/qCs9g
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Quotes from the book make me want to both see the movie and pick up the book.
                            http://imgur.com/gallery/qCs9g
                            I've been told by a sci-fi author friend that the book is terrific.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I've been told by a sci-fi author friend that the book is terrific.
                              It is.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

OK, I know on one level that people who complain about continuity lapses in sci-fi movies can be annoying....at the same time, for a franchise as high profile as the Star Wars saga has been, one might expect them to pay a bit more attention to it.

In the just-released trailer, a Sith Lord looks at a burnt-out skull with a Vader-style helmet on it and vows "I will finish what you started."

Yet at the end of Return of the Jedi they cremated Vader's body. Does this mean that the skull didn't burn down to ashes? that someone from The Dark Side stole Vader's skull from Endor after the cremation ceremony? that dramatic license >> any quibbles over continuity issues?

OCD minds want to know!
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X