This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread: Grab Some Popcorn, Enjoy The Show

Kung Fu Killer (alt title is Kung Fu Jungle)

Don't let the title turn you off. Very solid action movie about hiring a man who is a convicted murderer, to catch a killer using only martial arts. A lot of morality, a lot of cultural ways go into this movie. Definitely recommend.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Rubble Kings:

Doc on the Bronx/boroughs in the 60's/70's and the gang violence there, and (eventually) how hip-hop changed it.

Lots of references to the Warriors movie, which apparently was more true to life than I ever thought. The big summit (CAN YOU DIG IIIIIIIIT?!) actually happened, for example. Solid doc, would definitely recommend.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Rubble Kings:

Doc on the Bronx/boroughs in the 60's/70's and the gang violence there, and (eventually) how hip-hop changed it.

Lots of references to the Warriors movie, which apparently was more true to life than I ever thought. The big summit (CAN YOU DIG IIIIIIIIT?!) actually happened, for example. Solid doc, would definitely recommend.
        Oh, I've got to see that.

Fun fact: Warriors was a retelling of Xenophon's Anabasis.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I never knew the Bronx was THAT chaotic.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

Finally got to see this. Wanted to, for Wu Tang reasons. Solid movie, not too over the top with the kung fu action of that era. It definitely met my high expectations.

Comment

Sicario opens this weekend. Might have to actually see that in a theater...looks awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The Directors Cut DVD adds in a few touches that makes that clear.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Finally saw a trailer on TV for Crimson Peak . Getting very excited! Not a huge horror fan, but am looking forward to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  I listened to an audio book version of it a few years ago. It's an amazing story.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    I love The Warriors. First saw it as a young'n, and found it really creepy. As I got older, that nostalgia carried over, and I had the maturity to appreciate the whole movie.

Lawrence Of Arabia (Full Restored Version):

Made it about 2/3 of the way through. Usually I prefer "director's cuts" but not in this case. This is a prime example of a director-boner of a movie. Bloated, tedious, overblown. I should have watched the cut version, but now I won't even do that. I liked everything about the basic story, liked the acting, but JFC...I don't need a 20 minute scene of camels walking in a desert.

FTR, I don't mind slow and tedious if it's done well: see Das Boot (Director's Cut). At least in THAT movie, when nothing's happening (which is most of the movie) SOMEthing's happening. Trust me, it makes sense if you've seen it.

If it's a choice between watching this or a BADger hockey game...well....that's a tough decision.

Comment

Saw Black Mass last night. Overall, I was disappointed. The performances were excellent (and the accents were reasonable!), but I didn't think they did a great job with the story; it felt really disjointed Whole sections of the book were omitted as well as important things, like, Whitey's boss...Henry Winter, the guy who actually ran the Winter Hill Gang, while time was spent on things that seem to drag, like the relationship between John Connolly and his wife. The music was also directly a ripoff of the Godfather soundtrack, which was lame. The movie felt long, which I never think is a good thing.

Performance wise - really excellent. Johnny Depp was eerie and the supporting cast was excellent. I do, however, wonder if Billy Bulger got a say in who portrayed him as Benedict Cumberbatch is about a foot tall and a century lighter than Billy has ever been.

Looking forward to:
                      The Martian - reading the book now
                      Crimson Peak
                      Legend (odd title, considering it is NOT related to the 80s movie)
                      Spectre
                      Macbeth with Michael Fassbender has potential
                      And, of course, the new Star Wars movie at Christmas
                      Hubs is looking forward to Creed though I am not overly enthusiastic
                      Last edited by bostonewe; 09-26-2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Anyone seen Everest? Is it at least better than the tv movie done about 15 years ago?
                        Last edited by rufus; 09-26-2015, 05:48 PM.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Isn't it, though? Beautiful movie, all the way through. Also, apparently when Grace Keller and Cary Grant have sex it's like fireworks. OK, I can see that.
                          wonder if she shaved her box....
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            wonder if she shaved her box....
                            That, sir, is uncalled for.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              That, sir, is uncalled for.
                              joe, meet mookie. mookie, this is joe.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Sex is natural
                                Sex is good
                                Not everybody does it
                                But everybody should

And
                                There is no shame is discussing private parts
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X