Posters Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posters Game

Had dinner with someone last night and it reminded me how much fun having hockey game for posters was.

So I'm reviving the idea of it.

IIRC, there were a handful of games that were not with the Frozen Four- but I want to start somewhere. So Chicago 2017 is my target.

(realistically- I don't see Tampa as a possibility, and personally, I know that I'm not bringing my gear with me)

Having organized one of the games, I don't see it as a massive, daunting, task. I did have a HUGE amount of help when a fellow poster put up a website that allowed people to register for the game. But I also had the list from previous games, and sent a few notes out.

So here's what's needed:

1) a rink. First need is that one needs to be available in a timeframe that most can go to. Second, it has to be reasonable- for all of the costs.
    2) registration- a list of players who will attend, and that gives an idea of the cost.

And it helps if we have a few who will help the day of, but not playing.

Not being from Chicago- nor even staying there for more than 2 nights at once, I have no idea of what is possible. So is anyone interested in finding a rink?

I will try to handle registration.

Thoughts?

Re: Posters Game

Check your rep.

Comment

There isn't a lot of ice within the city itself and from what I've heard, what's there is booked solid and expensive.

Probably have to go out to the burbs.

I'd be up for a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        There isn't a lot of ice within the city itself and from what I've heard, what's there is booked solid and expensive.

Probably have to go out to the burbs.

I'd be up for a game.
        The burbs have not been a problem in the past- as long as they were reasonable. The more important of a place, the farther you can be, as I see it. For Detroit, I was originally trying for a place just 10-15 miles from Ford Field- which also happened to be an area where many suggested people stay- Dearborn. But I also asked Yost about renting that rink- and being a D-1 Rink was good enough to get people to drive out to participate and watch. (it also happened to be really cheap, which was a bonus, and we got 2 solid hours of ice time).

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          The burbs have not been a problem in the past- as long as they were reasonable. The more important of a place, the farther you can be, as I see it. For Detroit, I was originally trying for a place just 10-15 miles from Ford Field- which also happened to be an area where many suggested people stay- Dearborn. But I also asked Yost about renting that rink- and being a D-1 Rink was good enough to get people to drive out to participate and watch. (it also happened to be really cheap, which was a bonus, and we got 2 solid hours of ice time).

I grew up down there but haven't lived in the area since 88, so I have no idea what rinks are good or any of that.

If it were here in Madison or even Milwaukee, I could be a resource.

Comment

I know there are a few Chicago posters here- I'm kinda hoping that they may play hockey, and may be able to find a good enough rink.

(that, and while people think about it, I want to keep this thread on the front page)

Comment

There is ice to be had, but you will have to travel to the suburbs... I've only skated at rinks in the Southwest suburbs (Arctic, Canlan, Southwest, Inwood and Crystal Ice House (far Northwest suburbs))... I'd be more than happy to give any info I can to get things rolling...
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                There is ice to be had, but you will have to travel to the suburbs... I've only skated at rinks in the Southwest suburbs (Arctic, Canlan, Southwest, Inwood and Crystal Ice House (far Northwest suburbs))... I'd be more than happy to give any info I can to get things rolling...

Inwood was the rink I grew up playing at. My house was about two miles from there.

Of course the actual structure (wood dome, iirc) I played in burned down. I don't think I've played in the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                  How far are we talking?

Comment

Joliet (Inwood) is probably an hour from downtown. There are probably closer ones, but will still be 30 minutes minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Had dinner with someone last night and it reminded me how much fun having hockey game for posters was.

So I'm reviving the idea of it.
                      Excellent; your initiative is much appreciated.

IIRC, there were a handful of games that were not with the Frozen Four- but I want to start somewhere. So Chicago 2017 is my target.

(realistically- I don't see Tampa as a possibility, and personally, I know that I'm not bringing my gear with me)
                      Strongly agree that Chicago is the place start, and not just because of my connections there.

It was the last Tampa Frozen Four that knocked the original Posters' Game Series off the schedule. Airline baggage fees became a large problem around that time. Although the Yost game (2010) was a huge success, virtually everyone there had driven to Detroit, not flown. Someone else can comment on the player list at St. Paul (2011), but I'm guessing the same was true there. With Tampa, the issue is further complicated by the beaches and all of the competing tourist activities. Trying to revive the tradition next year would definitely be a mistake. In contrast, Chicago's central location within "The West" -- meaning drivable -- should make a nice turnout possible.

Having organized one of the games, I don't see it as a massive, daunting, task. I did have a HUGE amount of help when a fellow poster put up a website that allowed people to register for the game. But I also had the list from previous games, and sent a few notes out.
                      Yup, the USCHO community consistently stepped up with whatever was needed. This includes both organizational efforts and those who served as off-ice officials. It was cool back then, and it can happen again.

So here's what's needed:

1) a rink. First need is that one needs to be available in a timeframe that most can go to. Second, it has to be reasonable- for all of the costs.
                      My particular connections are to a different part of Chicago. I can personally guarantee that the rinks in Northbrook and Glenview would be suitable. Those are relatively close-in suburbs. Unfortunately neither of the rinks are close enough to be walkable from the train station. But with a couple of SUVs/Mini-Vans, it would be easy to shuttle the mass transit users from station to rink. Another option is the Bensenville rink just south of O'Hare. It's close to the Tri-State (I-294), though a GPS would be very helpful in navigating the local streets needed to get to the rink. By car, that might the most equitable location for the most players. Full disclosure: I've never attempted to use mass transit to Bensenville -- or even thought about it, for that matter.

An entirely different strategy would be to try an book the rink the Blackhawks frequently practice at. IIRC it's on the near West Side not far from the UC. But I've never been there and really don't know if that's a viable option. I'm guessing most will NOT be lodging in the neighborhood. Some will be downtown in the loop; others will be scattered all over the suburbs. For that reason it may not be the most convenient location, despite being near the UC.

2) registration- a list of players who will attend, and that gives an idea of the cost...I will try to handle registration. Thoughts?
                      Again, your willingness to lead is much appreciated.

In the past, my main strategy as an organizer was to keep the game thread going with regular roster updates, tidbits about Posters' Game history, and so on. For the most part, posters who declared their intentions online followed through. So the thread served both a marketing function, and was also an informal means of "closing the deal." If all of us contribute in that way, keeping the thread active should be more than doable.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        Excellent; your initiative is much appreciated.

Strongly agree that Chicago is the place start, and not just because of my connections there.

It was the last TampSomeone else can comment on the player list at St. Paul (2011), but I'm guessing the same was true there. With Tampa, the issue is further complicated by the beaches and all of the competing tourist activities. Trying to revive the tradition next year would definitely be a mistake. In contrast, Chicago's central location within "The West" -- meaning drivable -- should make a nice turnout possible.
                        I'd say most of the people at the St. Paul game were locals or people that drove.

I'd put my name in to play in the game in 2017. That would be great.
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

My particular connections are to a different part of Chicago. I can personally guarantee that the rinks in Northbrook and Glenview would be suitable. Those are relatively close-in suburbs. Unfortunately neither of the rinks are close enough to be walkable from the train station. But with a couple of SUVs/Mini-Vans, it would be easy to shuttle the mass transit users from station to rink. Another option is the Bensenville rink just south of O'Hare. It's close to the Tri-State (I-294), though a GPS would be very helpful in navigating the local streets needed to get to the rink. By car, that might the most equitable location for the most players. Full disclosure: I've never attempted to use mass transit to Bensenville -- or even thought about it, for that matter.

An entirely different strategy would be to try an book the rink the Blackhawks frequently practice at. IIRC it's on the near West Side not far from the UC. But I've never been there and really don't know if that's a viable option. I'm guessing most will NOT be lodging in the neighborhood. Some will be downtown in the loop; others will be scattered all over the suburbs. For that reason it may not be the most convenient location, despite being near the UC.

Again, your willingness to lead is much appreciated.

In the past, my main strategy as an organizer was to keep the game thread going with regular roster updates, tidbits about Posters' Game history, and so on. For the most part, posters who declared their intentions online followed through. So the thread served both a marketing function, and was also an informal means of "closing the deal." If all of us contribute in that way, keeping the thread active should be more than doable.
                          Thanks, p. Good to know you have some info about Chicago.

I'm happy to deal with registration- it's not that many people- if I could find tDarkness- and get access to the web page he made for me, or just deal with people sending me e-mails- no big deal either way. And I will start with the old data to send them the idea that we want to try to revive this.

As for the history- can I defer that to you? I only participated in St. Louis and Detroit, with the intention of Denver (burnt hand), and Washington was an evening for us 2.

I know right now, we are in the down season of this board. So we can work on getting this on the front page later. And more important, I know that we are about a year and a half from the proposed game. But to get the idea going again- even with those of us who will be able to play in the older leagues...

I hope we can get some kind of group like we did from RIT at Yost. They were great!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            If it were here in Madison or even Milwaukee, I could be a resource.
                            FWIW, the 2006 Posters' Game in Milwaukee was held at the Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE). Very nice facility within walking distance of Bradley Center. We also considered Pettit -- the rinks in the infield of the speed skating oval. The choice was basically a no-lose situation. But in the end I believe the decision to stay downtown was the correct one.

Should the FF ever go to Madison, I would imagine that Labahn would be the early frontrunner for our game. Of course I'd defer to your judgment on that...

As it happens, the Blackhawks and the City of Chicago have just announced plans for a new practice facility to be located just south of the UC. Two Ice Sheets. If completed on time that would be an intriguing possibility. Unfortunately the target date for completion is apparently 2018, too late for our purposes.

See Chris Kuc's July 29-30 articles at http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks

Comment

Working...
                            X