This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV, or not TV, that is the question

Just got caught up on True Detective. I was admittedly lukewarm on this second season, mainly for casting reasons, but the second episode had me beginning to put aside my comparisons to the first, and my expectations for this one, and I just started watching this for what it was. And episode three had me totally involved in it.

As mentioned, slow, slow, slow, but so was the first. But there's so much going on, layers upon layers upon layers, and trying to untangle everything to get a handle on what's going on is part of the attraction for me. Enough similarities to the first season(old case from 20 years ago, now a few months, wealthy and powerful engaged in freaky goings-on) but done differently enough to not seem like a rehash.

Question: Who is the black actress who's playing the assistant DA, or whatever she is, the one who recruits them to continue working the case a few months later? I can't seem to find her listed on IMDB, and I know I've seen her somewhere before, but can't put my finger on it.

And I can't watch Abigail Spencer without thinking about.......................................
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    Just got caught up on True Detective. I was admittedly lukewarm on this second season, mainly for casting reasons, but the second episode had me beginning to put aside my comparisons to the first, and my expectations for this one, and I just started watching this for what it was. And episode three had me totally involved in it.

As mentioned, slow, slow, slow, but so was the first. But there's so much going on, layers upon layers upon layers, and trying to untangle everything to get a handle on what's going on is part of the attraction for me. Enough similarities to the first season(old case from 20 years ago, now a few months, wealthy and powerful engaged in freaky goings-on) but done differently enough to not seem like a rehash.

Question: Who is the black actress who's playing the assistant DA, or whatever she is, the one who recruits them to continue working the case a few months later? I can't seem to find her listed on IMDB, and I know I've seen her somewhere before, but can't put my finger on it.

And I can't watch Abigail Spencer without thinking about.......................................
    Probably because she has a man's name Michael Hyatt, she's done a bunch of guest shots but you more than likely remember her as Avon Barksdale's sister from The Wire
    Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

i heard this morning that rachel mcadam gets neked.

mookie may start watching
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Scott lost on Jeopardy tonight, after stealing three games. I feel like they aren't very consistent in their rules. Last Thursday a girl got final Jeopardy wrong because she wrote "Bringham Young" instead of Brigham Young for a question about BYU. They said it was wrong because it changed pronunciation. Then the next night Scott answered Icelandic Air rather than Iceland on a question, and they counted it. Neither time did the application of the rule make a difference in the winner, but I thought it was strange adding a letter that changed pronunciation counts as incorrect, but giving a similar yet different answer counted as correct.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

I know she is in at least her underwear. I have not seen this season yet, though.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post
            Probably because she has a man's name Michael Hyatt, she's done a bunch of guest shots but you more than likely remember her as Avon Barksdale's sister from The Wire
            I thought it was The Wire, but wasn't sure.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

Not yet...mookie may need to check his sources.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Ok I watched episodes 3 and 4 of TD...still not feeling it. Yeah the shootout was cool but the main stories are still going along at a snails pace. I want to believe, I can see there is potential but I feel like they are dragging it out longer than it needs to be.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Subscribed because the morphine episode of Mr. Roboto is a goddam masterpiece.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

On a recommendation from bbdl, I started up The Fall (Netflix series with Gillian Anderson).

All the creep and very dark in tone. Reminded me of True Detective. Slow, methodical, disjointed (and you know it'll all come together at some point). 2 eps in, and I'm hooked.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Subscribed because the morphine episode of Mr. Roboto is a goddam masterpiece.
                      I liked it, my wife did not.

The show is excellent.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Ok I watched episodes 3 and 4 of TD...still not feeling it. Yeah the shootout was cool but the main stories are still going along at a snails pace. I want to believe, I can see there is potential but I feel like they are dragging it out longer than it needs to be.
                        So worth the wait. Beautiful set up. Hour and 1/2 finale coming up. Can't wait.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I liked it, my wife did not.

The show is excellent.
                          It was like a modern day Requiem. When you add in the episodes that bookend the morphine episode and put it into context, it's just incredible. I was worried about the series since after episodes two and three I had lost a little bit of interest. Episodes four and five brought that back and then some.

Edit: I just realized I typed (or maybe autocorrected) Mr. Roboto.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            On a recommendation from bbdl, I started up The Fall (Netflix series with Gillian Anderson).

All the creep and very dark in tone. Reminded me of True Detective. Slow, methodical, disjointed (and you know it'll all come together at some point). 2 eps in, and I'm hooked.
                            Very good show. Glad you like it. I'm through the first season, and let me tell you, it didn't end like I expected. Need to get started on season 2 soon.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

We couldn't get into it. Much prefer Luther for dark crime drama.
                              Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Working...
                              X