• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SJHovey
    replied
    Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    So, is the show worth looking for on streaming/etc services? This post makes it seem not so. Is it bad, or is it ratings?
    I gave up on it.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The whole point of Richie is he's great at his job, he just can't get out of his own way. When we first meet him he's Draper, but at rock bottom. His arc is whether he pulls himself out or crashes.
    I disagree, he may have once been great at his job but those days are long past him. His salesman tactics dont work (as shown in pretty much every episode, dude cant close) and he and his partners spent so much time scamming and screwing people over they have almost zero positive rep around town with established acts and they are flat broke. He may have "the Ear" but he has no business sense, no morals, no ethics and is about the last person any one would trust to run a hot dog cart let alone a multi million dollar label. And all of that was true before he jumped off the wagon nose first.

He is not good at his job, in fact I am not even sure he knows how to do his job anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
    What separates Richie from the Soprano/Draper/White pantheon is that he sucks at his job.
    The whole point of Richie is he's great at his job, he just can't get out of his own way. When we first meet him he's Draper, but at rock bottom. His arc is whether he pulls himself out or crashes.

Leave a comment:

• MaizeRage
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I think the show is great, but HBO only cares if its ratings are good.

It's not a good sign that the show runner got canned. The show has a million "executive producers" and even though some of them may be purely vanity (Mick Jagger, Martin Scorsese), this could indicate that those guys are trying to horn in.
    HBO shows are a lot more insulated from ratings pressure than any other network on TV, especially in recent times. They'll stick with something if it's good(Girls is on its' fifth season, which has been excellent, btw). Vinyl just hasn't been that good.

Part of the problem is that it's another white male antihero show, which is starting to become cliche at this point--If you haven't seen the show, take one guess at what the main character's relationship with his wife is like. The other half of the problem is that that genre isn't even that well-executed. What separates Richie from the Soprano/Draper/White pantheon is that he sucks at his job. That gives him a lot less leeway with the audience in terms of likability. It's just some guy wandering around being an a-hole.

But I can't stress enough what wonderful work Bobby Cannavale's hair is doing on that show.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Vinyl has a lot of potential, but it is a pretentious mess as well. Every little decision is some existential crisis for the characters (especially the lead) and there is never any time to breathe. The good parts are very good, but each hour long episode only has so much of the "good" and so very much of the bad. (this would have been better as a 30 minute show) Olivia Wilde has almost no purpose on the show except to be in sex scenes, and every little character flaw is not only highlighted, it is beaten over our heads like Chris Nolan made it on PCP.

The other problem is we know the big name bands in the story arent going to be going to the label cause of history so half the "we need to get that guy!!" stuff is rather pointless except to find a way to shoehorn said artist into the show.

There is enough to play with in the genre that they didnt need to go this route imho. I think the showrunner should have been fired because I honestly have no clue what the purpose of the show is right now. It is like the worst years of Boardwalk Empire where they obviously had no really endgame to the stories so they just kind of throw everything into a pot and see what comes out.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    So, is the show worth looking for on streaming/etc services? This post makes it seem not so.
    I think Vinyl is very good, but there seem to be plenty of people on both sides. Stream the pilot and see if you like it.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

So Terence Winter got fired as show-runner of Vinyl over "creative differences'(presumably about how much the show should suck). I know it automatically got renewed for a second season about six minutes into the pilot, but I wonder if a second season actually gets made or if HBO quietly pulls the plug like they did with The Brink. They have to be paying a fortune in music rights and the show just hasn't been that good.
    I think the show is great, but HBO only cares if its ratings are good.

It's not a good sign that the show runner got canned. The show has a million "executive producers" and even though some of them may be purely vanity (Mick Jagger, Martin Scorsese), this could indicate that those guys are trying to horn in.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

So Terence Winter got fired as show-runner of Vinyl over "creative differences'(presumably about how much the show should suck). I know it automatically got renewed for a second season about six minutes into the pilot, but I wonder if a second season actually gets made or if HBO quietly pulls the plug like they did with The Brink. They have to be paying a fortune in music rights and the show just hasn't been that good.
    So, is the show worth looking for on streaming/etc services? This post makes it seem not so. Is it bad, or is it ratings?

Leave a comment:

• MaizeRage
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Proud2baLaker
    replied

Season 2 of Kimmy Schmidt is coming this month I believe.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

I just started that too...very funny but completely ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    season 2 is coming soon right? My wife and I enjoyed watching that for a goofy laugh.
    I don't know when season 2 is coming, other than it'll be this year. I do know that Netflix ordered seasons 2 and 3 based upon how well season 1 was received.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: It's a Netflix half-hour (give or take) comedy series around a woman who's freed from an underground bunker where she and three other women were held as, more or less, prisoners of a cult leader who'd abducted them. The humor is largely goofy, though there are some poignant moments in it. I'm only through three or four episodes so far, but I'm enjoying it. Carol Kane sort of steals her fair share of scenes. Jane Krakowski is acceptable as a main supporting character, but I've never much cared for her; admittedly, she has a few good moments in the show.
    season 2 is coming soon right? My wife and I enjoyed watching that for a goofy laugh.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    Methinks Richie's label lawyer is just a bit smitten.
    No kidding. Michael Bay is more subtle.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: It's a Netflix half-hour (give or take) comedy series around a woman who's freed from an underground bunker where she and three other women were held as, more or less, prisoners of a cult leader who'd abducted them. The humor is largely goofy, though there are some poignant moments in it. I'm only through three or four episodes so far, but I'm enjoying it. Carol Kane sort of steals her fair share of scenes. Jane Krakowski is acceptable as a main supporting character, but I've never much cared for her; admittedly, she has a few good moments in the show.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X