• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rube
    replied
    Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

The Americans:

Well, I dunno what to make of the new ep. Yet another close call that is resolved a bit too neatly. Treading water, IMO. Either way, I think someone will be done (eventually) and it may not be the person you think.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Read on AV Club three of the docs being sent up by Documentary Now in season 2.

I'm already looking forward to it.

In other news, guess who probably has a death sentence on The Americans?
    And that character is frustrating me and how incompetent/naive they are. I'm actually hoping for them to go at this point.

"You killed [character]?!"
    "I had to. You don't know. You weren't there." (said in somewhat mocking tone)

That would be an awesome bit of dialogue.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

Read on AV Club three of the docs being sent up by Documentary Now in season 2.

I'm already looking forward to it.

In other news, guess who probably has a death sentence on The Americans?

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Kidnapped has been really good, glad I was able to catch up on this. They ran another six episodes yesterday, which I binge-watched, since that was the only thing I felt like watching. It has a feel similar to the Blacklist, sorta crossed with 24, but even better, I think. A number of good actors in the main cast, and some really great guest stars in most episodes.

Some real great dialogue too, especially for Doug Hutchison's character(you'll remember him Tooms on the X-Files, as Horace Goodspeed from Lost, and the fact that he married 16 year old Courtney Stodden, thereby introducing her to the world, for better or worse).
    Last edited by rufus; 04-22-2016, 01:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Not a bad recap. I think I said earlier, that if this show stayed about the music and the business, it could end up being pretty good. But if it became a setting to just tell another gangster/mob story, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting. Like that reviewer said in relation to Kip's Opryland T-shirt, my favorite parts have been the "inside baseball" stuff of the music world. From Zep looking for a new label, to the party in LA with the burgeoning California country sound, to Richie sitting in CBGB's, those are the fun bits. The mobster stuff is just been there, done that Scorcese.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Vinyl ended well and I hope it will be renewed. Spoilers:

The MC5 closing made me want to run through a wall, which is unusual for me at 10pm on a work night.

I watched the entire first season without realizing Kip is Mick Jagger's kid. And here I thought the worst vanity in this was Scorcese. Meh, to be fair he wasn't bad. Randy Quaid's kid isn't either. Talk about shameless though...

IINM Devon was not in the final episode, which is one reason it was the best of the series.

I adored the young mop-headed Ramones. I felt like I should take them home and give them soup and protect them.

Other Music For Uplifting Gormandizers FTW.

The Richie-Zak tug of war is a strong foundation for the future of the show. EAB.

The murder, obvious in retrospect, shocked me. Guess Bo Dietl is free to head DHS now (Dr. Mrs. joke)

We need more interaction with the good cop / bad cop combo.

Very good review here: http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/vinyl...pisode-10.html
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-20-2016, 01:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Chris Licht did an amazing job on CBS This Morning. It's the only intelligent show available before noon.

I HATE morning "news" shows because they cater to idiots. CBS this morning doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Colbert's show has changed. I have not seen it in a few weeks, including not watching last night's episode, so I'd be interested to see if it's taken a turn for the dumb or, hopefully, just tweaked a bit.
    It sounds like they're just tightening the format. The guy they brought in did morning shows, which is a bad sign, but apparently raised the bar and made them smarter, which is like saying you found the least racist supporter at a Drumpf rally, but still shows the right direction.

We'll see. I saw nothing wrong with the old format and I still think Colbert is an amazing talent, though to be fair I rarely watch past the first segment and never bother when celebs are on.

Leave a comment:

• jerphisch
    replied

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    I'm about halfway thru it so far. I think Titus is currently my favorite character on TV.
    I'm about half way as well, so much good stuff this season! I don't even know if I like Titus more than Lillian, but I like him a lot. All the Amy Sedaris has me thinking it's time to watch Strangers with Candy again.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Colbert's show has changed. I have not seen it in a few weeks, including not watching last night's episode, so I'd be interested to see if it's taken a turn for the dumb or, hopefully, just tweaked a bit.

The segment he did before the change that I really liked is when he'd go off onto some bit with his guests, either acting out a backyard camping scene, gazing up at the stars whilst on the hood of a car, or whatever, and pondering various stupid things.

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
    Season 2 of Kimmy Schmidt is coming this month I believe.
    I'm about halfway thru it so far. I think Titus is currently my favorite character on TV.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Changed my cable service around, and got Universal HD added so I can watch the Tour de Suisse later in June. Just happened to stumble across them running the pilot for this show called Kidnapped, that ran for, I don't even think a full season, about ten or so years ago. I'd wanted to watch that then, but for whatever reason I missed it, or couldn't record it because of other stuff, or something. So I'm recording and watching it now.

Stars Dana Delaney and Timothy Hutton as wealthy parents whose son is kidnapped, and Jeremy Sisto and Delrioy Lindo as the people trying to get him back. Three episodes in so far, the usual 24-style twists and turns, we'll see just how complicated this whole web turns out to be.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

"It's The Dawson!!!!"

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

That show is hilarious and Van Der Beek was awesome on it

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23: I only saw a couple episodes of this while it was on its first run, but watching it now on Netflix, and it's great! It's pretty much The Odd Couple premise except the main characters are mid- to late-20s, and they're two women instead of middle-aged men, and there's James Van Der Beek as himself. Seriously, it's so much better than it has any right to be. The only thing off with the show, really, is Dreama Walker's eyes. There might be something like six inches between them, not that they'd stop me because the rest of her is dayumn.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X