X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

Three things:

1) Does anyone know if you can watch channels on WatchESPN you are not subscribed to on cable? My dad doesn't get ESPNU, which MSU-Western will be on to start the football season. Usually ESPN, 2, U, and News are locked if there is live content, which can be opened with a cable log-in. So, will logging in open up everything or just what his cable plan allows (I think everything but U and Classic)?

2) Started watching Metastasis, I forgot who brought it up in the last thread. It's literally the same as Breaking Bad, and is good for picking up some of the language, but man are there some "off brand" things about it. Sometimes it's like they go between two different types of cameras. It will be the same style as Breaking Bad and then all of a sudden the next scene with be in that Telenovela type film. Also, the actress who is supposed to play Marie is awful at acting. Just awful.

3) Anyone have Crackle? They have Sports Jeopardy on there which is pretty cool. I actually do better than a lot of the contestants on there, but tried to do the online test for auditions and got maybe 2/3. Makes me wonder how guys pass the test, then get on the show and don't know some of the easier stuff.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Watching the CNN premiere of the Morton Downey Jr movie. Man, he was out there. You just don't realize the impact he had until you look back.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Gawker is the worst. Yet I still find myself reading it.

Mainly dead spin. They reach so far most of the time it's amazing they haven't pulled a muscle.
        Gawker, Deadspin and Jezebel all reach but are all addictive. But the Comments on the articles typically pull them back to reality -- on Deadspin in particular there's usually as much or more serious content in the Comments than the article, and they're upvoted which dispenses with most of the HUR UR SO GAY derp.

io9 is great, though. Its only problem is the inundation of "paid content" which makes reading it a slalom between ad garbage.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Don't know if I'm late to the party on this one, but just finished the first season of Broadchurch, and I thought it was fantastic. It's a murder investigation that covers the full 8 episodes and I thought was very well written and acted. It has a slower pace but it keeps you interested.

Comment

Mentioned on GPL, I am definitely curious about The Bastard Executioner on FX. I hope that Amazon has a season pass option. I have no idea what this is about, nor if it will be any good. But it's Kurt Sutter (SOA creator) so I'll give it a shot.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              They have Sports Jeopardy on there which is pretty cool. I actually do better than a lot of the contestants on there, but tried to do the online test for auditions and got maybe 2/3. Makes me wonder how guys pass the test, then get on the show and don't know some of the easier stuff.
              you'd be surprised how the adrenaline of actually being up there for real with real-time consequences can affect people's thinking, especially if they are filming more than one show on the same day. I was on a quiz show once, and we filmed two episodes on the same day. the first one, we were really good, won that round with a score of about 400 points (it was not jeopardy). then the next round we were really drained from the excitement of the first one and couldn't even see straight, let alone think straight, and scored about 245 points...what was annoying is that the teams we were playing against in the second round both came in fresh.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Is anyone else watching the HBO mini-series Show Me A Hero?

I don't know what to think of it. Given what is an incredibly dry subject matter (efforts on the part of the Justice Department to not only desegregate public housing in Yonkers, NY, but even change the type of public housing available), it is by no means a snoozer. But most of the drama appears to be generated by repeated shots of angry mobs shouting or approaches of judge imposed deadlines which the City continued to miss -- in other words lack of any real drama.

It feels like something that would have been better served by a detailed documentary, rather than a 6 hour docudrama mini-series. I know there is apparently a very short documentary called Brick by Brick that is supposed to be about this same subject, but I haven't seen it. I may have to track it down to see if my assessment is correct.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Fear the Walking Dead was pretty sweet. Much more terrifying being set right at the beginning.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    Is anyone else watching the HBO mini-series Show Me A Hero?
                    I've seen the first three parts so far. I also made the mistake of looking up how it ends, which.....yeah. I think it has been excellent though.

I would disagree about it being better as a documentary though. It is so much more than just a faithful retelling of events--though it should be noted that it is an extremely faithful retelling of events between being based on a very thorough book and the producers conducting additional interviews with the still-living participants. It's absolutely fantastic story-telling that makes the much larger point that as much as people want to create barriers of us vs. them, those lines really exist. The good people of Yonkers are disrespectful of the law, violent, and are actively choosing to lower their property values. All that separates them from their imagined enemy is their own sense of privileged entitlement, and an innate desire to protect what little they have--which ties into the show's point about the type of public housing built. I just don't think you can tell the human side to this story as well in documentary form.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                      I've seen the first three parts so far. I also made the mistake of looking up how it ends, which.....yeah. I think it has been excellent though.

I would disagree about it being better as a documentary though. It is so much more than just a faithful retelling of events--though it should be noted that it is an extremely faithful retelling of events between being based on a very thorough book and the producers conducting additional interviews with the still-living participants. It's absolutely fantastic story-telling that makes the much larger point that as much as people want to create barriers of us vs. them, those lines really exist. The good people of Yonkers are disrespectful of the law, violent, and are actively choosing to lower their property values. All that separates them from their imagined enemy is their own sense of privileged entitlement, and an innate desire to protect what little they have--which ties into the show's point about the type of public housing built. I just don't think you can tell the human side to this story as well in documentary form.
                      Yeah, maybe. Although the little I've read about the documentary Brick by Brick, it appears that like the HBO series it attempts to follow the lives of three different people or families as we see the impact on them.

My only fear about the HBO series is that it will end with the main character, and won't tell us anything about the 25 years since beyond perhaps a few current photos or a written paragraph or two as the credits role.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                        Fear the Walking Dead was pretty sweet. Much more terrifying being set right at the beginning.
                        I liked it better than I expected after I read some reviews. It was pretty good. I think it works better starting from the beginning, because now, when characters do stupid things, you know they shouldn't know better.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

And that kid playing the son is a helluvan actor. It had a suspenseful vibe to the whole thing, but really picked up with the cop showdown on the freeway.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            And that kid playing the son is a helluvan actor.
                            That's Stannis Baratheon's son!

/Game of Thrones mention.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              That's Stannis Baratheon's son!

/Game of Thrones mention.
                              Wait what? I thought Stannis only had the stoney girl that the Arson Goddess burned?
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Wait what? I thought Stannis only had the stoney girl that the Arson Goddess burned?
                                You're both correct.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X