X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    The kind of redneck who would complain about Underwood being portrayed as a Republican, is probably the kind of redneck whose TV and film viewing is limited to PureFlix in the first place.
    Soooooo, Trump followers?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Soooooo, Trump followers?
      I'd say it's the Cruzers who are more likely to limit their media content to Christian sources, but there's no doubt Trump has hoodwinked some of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Walking Dead finale.

Meh.
        I liked the last 10 minutes or so.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          I'd say it's the Cruzers who are more likely to limit their media content to Christian sources, but there's no doubt Trump has hoodwinked some of them.
          My whole issue with this topic is folks that read too much into it. That's all. Obviously I'm no lib tard (it gets censored), nor am I a Redumblican. It's a show. Leave it at that.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            I liked the last 10 minutes or so.

I was so bored by then that I just wanted it to get to the point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              I was so bored by then that I just wanted it to get to the point.
              What might have saved me from that is starting it roughly 30 minutes late so I can fast forward through the commercials. The episode definitely didn't need to be 90 minutes.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

My whole issue with this topic is folks that read too much into it. That's all. Obviously I'm no lib tard (it gets censored), nor am I a Redumblican. It's a show. Leave it at that.

These things don't happen at random.

Having participated in conceptual meetings as part of my job (not TV, but the principles are the same), I promise you that there is plenty to read into a lot of the decisions that are made.

All I said was that it was a great conceptual decision to make him a Dem. In this day and age where Cheney and others have been made into the bogeyman, and Dems are looked at more as bungling do-gooders, FU being a Dem is a more surprising choice. A better choice.

I don't believe that the producers were afraid of backlash, but I'm sure they were aware of the potential for it. This type of thing is what's discussed in the conceptual meetings that I referred to. What are the possible consequences or outcomes of us choosing A over B?

And yes. I do believe that right wing media types would have whined about the negative portrayal of a Republican cheating and murdering his way to power.

They tend to be hyper sensitive towards these things as a way to whip up their audience. Even if they don't actually believe what they are selling.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  What might have saved me from that is starting it roughly 30 minutes late so I can fast forward through the commercials. The episode definitely didn't need to be 90 minutes.

I'm kind of at a lull with the show right now. I'll still watch in the fall again as the whole fam has been watching it since the beginning.

I have hopes for Negan and like I said, I'm interested to see what the Kingdom is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    These things don't happen at random.

Having participated in conceptual meetings as part of my job (not TV, but the principles are the same), I promise you that there is plenty to read into a lot of the decisions that are made.

All I said was that it was a great conceptual decision to make him a Dem. In this day and age where Cheney and others have been made into the bogeyman, and Dems are looked at more as bungling do-gooders, FU being a Dem is a more surprising choice. A better choice.

I don't believe that the producers were afraid of backlash, but I'm sure they were aware of the potential for it. This type of thing is what's discussed in the conceptual meetings that I referred to. What are the possible consequences or outcomes of us choosing A over B?

And yes. I do believe that right wing media types would have whined about the negative portrayal of a Republican cheating and murdering his way to power.

They tend to be hyper sensitive towards these things as a way to whip up their audience. Even if they don't actually believe what they are selling.
                    And I believe that Dems over react and go "Why me why me? I'm a victim!" more often than deserved. And also blame the evil empire Repubs a bit too often.

Comment

And I believe that Dems over react and go "Why me why me? I'm a victim!" more often than deserved. And also blame the evil empire Repubs a bit too often.

Not understanding your context.

Are you still talking about the show or just trying to get a point in?

Not a Republican though...

Comment

Not understanding your context.

Are you still talking about the show or just trying to get a point in?

Not a Republican though...
                        My point was it's a show. You chimed in, and IMO, overthought the party designation of FU. I'm sitting back, just thinking, "It's a show, don't wear the tinfoil hat!" That's all. I mean, "Wag The Dog" is a great movie, and no one cares who's Rep or Dem. It's just a good movie. I'd like to think the same of HoC. That's all. Check your politics at the door.

Comment

My point was it's a show. You chimed in, and IMO, overthought the party designation of FU. I'm sitting back, just thinking, "It's a show, don't wear the tinfoil hat!" That's all. I mean, "Wag The Dog" is a great movie, and no one cares who's Rep or Dem. It's just a good movie. I'd like to think the same of HoC. That's all. Check your politics at the door.

Yeah, and IMO, you're completely underselling and frankly (), not understanding how important that party designation was.

We've both stated our opinions.

We good now?

Comment

Yeah, and IMO, you're completely underselling and frankly (), not understanding how important that party designation was.

We've both stated our opinions.

We good now?
                            Take this to heart: no matter if we disagree or agree, we all good. You don't get vicious with me and vice versa. We may disagree, but we respect. We always good, man.

Comment

Not referring to the character.

I'm referring to the choice that the producers made when they created the show.
                              FWIW, this was exactly the point I had in mind. I think they were right to avoid the entire problem by casting the way they did.

Ironically there's a perfect example of a show where FU could be either party and it wouldn't make a difference. The original, and to drive the point home I don't even recall whether Francis Urquhart was Tory or Labour. Likewise, it wouldn't have mattered in the States in the 70's if you had made him either D or R (though in the 70s they would have pussed out and invented two completely fictitious parties, to not risk anything).

In this environment, if they had made FU a Republican about half the country would have missed out on a good show because it would have been hoovered up into the usual stupid narratives. By making him a Dem, in this climate, they avoided the whole thing.

If you want an example of the converse to soothe the BSABSVR, if there was a show about, say, a prominent atheist, if you made him a liberal it would never get off the ground because all the idiots on both sides already have their cannon aimed to fight over that. Make him a conservative and poof, the problem disappears.

That's all I was saying and unless I miss my guess all Gurtholfin was saying, too.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 04-04-2016, 12:03 AM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Finished American Crime. American Crime was a pile of dung. What a horrible show. Not one redeeming character in the entire lot.

Person of Interest premieres May 3rd. Very sad that this show is coming to an end. Best show out there. Not sure what happened to the ratings but they must have tanked.

The Catch has been fun. And this actress is amazing. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0257969/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t1
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X