X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
    The People vs. OJ Simpson is actually really, really good. Would not have guessed that going in.
    Don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's really, really good, but I'm enjoying it. Thought the shot at the beginning of the last episode, at the Kardashian girls, with their father's lesson about not seeking out fame and public notoriety was pretty funny, though.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's really, really good, but I'm enjoying it. Thought the shot at the beginning of the last episode, at the Kardashian girls, with their father's lesson about not seeking out fame and public notoriety was pretty funny, though.
      The whole treatment of the K spawn has been funny. At first I thought they were just sucking up to the Us Weekly audience, but now it's apparent that they're trolling.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The People vs. OJ Simpson is actually really, really good. Would not have guessed that going in.
        The actress who plays Marsha Clark makes me want to punch her in her face, so that's good.

Everybody's actually good except Gooding, who is awful. Nathan Lane was hilarious as a sodden old fool F. Lee Bailey and the dude playing Cochrane is amazing.

Travolta is barely even trying, which is funny in and of itself.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm liking the People vs. OJ a lot more than I thought I would.

I mean, it's run by the guy doing those stupid American Horror Story shows, for crying out loud.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            I'm liking the People vs. OJ a lot more than I thought I would.

I mean, it's run by the guy doing those stupid American Horror Story shows, for crying out loud.
            Had no idea.

AHS has run really hot and cold. 1 and 3 were outstanding. 4 got caught up in its own strangeness. 5 I just gave up on, despite a really nice premise. Never saw 2.

I think they should have OJ found guilty. Just blow up the entire world. It's already so fictionalized it doesn't deserve to be called a documentary -- why not go all out?
            Cornell University

Comment

Shades Of Blue. Caught the first 2 episodes On Demand. It's pretty good so far.
              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                A lot of people had issue with that, just because of who it is. If it had been a complete non sequitur(which again, is what I would have guessed when I heard they would be characters), I would agree. Instead, it fit in perfectly with the theme of the episode. The scene makes sense in the context of the show even if those kids don't grow up to be who they are. The fact that they grew up to be who they are and people's reactions to it add an interesting meta layer to the whole thing though.
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I think they should have OJ found guilty. Just blow up the entire world. It's already so fictionalized it doesn't deserve to be called a documentary -- why not go all out?
                  Who's to say that occasionally there isn't justice on a higher plane, so to speak. Ron Goldman's dad was a fanatical vengeance seeker, and his victory in the wrongful death lawsuit pretty much cost OJ every cent he had except for his pension (which was protected from attachment by creditors under FL state law, IIRC). OJ's relative poverty afterward may well then led him to break the law and get caught and sent to jail.

From what I've heard from experts in the field, if a person commits a heinous, horrendous crime and is not formally punished in some cases can actually suffer more from guilt than if he were to have been sent to jail, since in the latter case the guilt is assuaged by the formality of the judgment and ensuing punishment. Especially if everyone believes you did it and got off on a technicality.

While I didn't follow the NV case at all, I read somewhere that the guilty verdict in that situation was a bit shaky, though who knows.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Keep in mind, this is a show with something like a 50% metacritic rating and it was generally savaged in the ratings. I don't get the generalized hate.
                    Because it's a campy case-of-the-week police procedural. I've eaten many meals at Wendy's that I would consider enjoyable, but none that I would consider gourmet dining. There's a difference.

Good for Fox for finally hitting on their 50th attempt at a 'House-but-he's-a..." show. I suppose Satancop was the logical next step after racist Dwight Schrute didn't work out.

I liked the pilot of Vinyl enough that I'll probably give it the season. Like with the Boardwalk Empire premiere, you have to wait and see what happens after the big pilot budget dries up and Scorsese leaves. I could see it developing into a reliably good, but rarely great show like BE was. Though I'm not quite sure Vinyl's bench is as deep as BE's was. BE had Stephen Graham and Michael Stuhlbarg, Vinyl has the guy from the Arby's commercials.

Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Comment

For some reason I had an inkling to re-visit Xena Warrior Princess last night, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it on streaming Netflix (typically the older shows I want to see haven't been available on streaming, rights issue I guess).

The first four episodes were much better than I had expected. I guess I was remembering shows from later seasons that got a bit ridiculous. I have a hunch that the arc of this show over several seasons will be similar to others I've liked: it is really interesting for the first two or three seasons but then they start to run out of the story lines that got them that far and lose their unique charm. Too many recurring characters start to show up, the show's focus moves away from the adventures of the main characters and into exploring their "relationships" and they start playing out the string and lose that creative spark.

Similar thing happened with Stargate SG1: the first four years or so really engaged my attention, but then they became stale. Fringe lost me right after the first big threat to human existence was defeated, Person of Interest lost me once The Machine had to go underground, Castle was great for its first three seasons but became boring once Becket and Castle hooked up, on and on and on.

I wonder if one of the reasons the original Star Trek show remained so iconic through the years is that the show only ran for three seasons?

A couple shows that kept the focus on their original formula and never deviated (much) into their characters' personal lives, Law and Order or NCIS, didn't quite have as severe a fall-off since they remained true to their roots, so to speak.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

racist Dwight Schrute
                        I'm behind. Who again?
                        Cornell University

Comment

Travolta is barely even trying, which is funny in and of itself.
                          to be honest, i thought that was by design. every other character looks down at shapiro and talks about how lazy he is, being a settler (not the directv ad type mind you).
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Funny, because the alternate world fringe episodes were probably their best, and I still think Person of Interest is the best network show on TV.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I'm behind. Who again?
                              This gem.

Comment

Backstrom was actually pretty decent
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X