X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

Netflix is getting angry.

Yea - we watch about 13 hrs of programming a week in my house. Most of it is "Chuggington" with our grandson.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Colony pilot was a steaming pile. Just the usual paint by-numbers family soap opera, stuck into what would be an interesting premise if you didn't have to slog through 55 dull cliche minutes to get a combined 5 minutes of that premise. It didn't help that the acting was spectacularly awful except for the guy who played the plastic surgeon adulterer on House.
      Last edited by Kepler; 01-17-2016, 08:46 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I tried watching this. It didn't help that I missed the opening. I was thinking of giving it another whirl but I have too much TV on my schedule as it is.

I did want to try and catch "Billions." It premiered on Showtime last night, did anyone watch it? It looks intriguing.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          I tried watching this. It didn't help that I missed the opening. I was thinking of giving it another whirl but I have too much TV on my schedule as it is.

I did want to try and catch "Billions." It premiered on Showtime last night, did anyone watch it? It looks intriguing.
          What? USA and Syfy were playing the pilot over and over all day on Saturday. At first, when I saw it in the guide, I thought they were running all the episodes to date, and I remembered hearing about it, so I had it on in the background while I was on the computer. And so the next episode starts, until they come again to where she's trying to buy insulin, and I'm like , "Whaaaaa, I've already seen this". So I check the guide again, and there it is, "Pilot" over and over and over again.

And yes, it was a steaming pile. For those who missed Childhood's End, this is what that felt like, Tremendously dull and tedious and pretentious. Like you say, except for the last, not even five minutes, the last minute, when finally, the actually interesting part of the show is revealed.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

On another note, who's looking forward to Vinyl, on HBO? I don't care if it sucks, it's rock and roll in NYC in the late 70's, I'm watching.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              On another note, who's looking forward to Vinyl, on HBO? I don't care if it sucks, it's rock and roll in NYC in the late 70's, I'm watching.
              I'm looking forward to it. It starts next month, right?
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Yeah, Feb 14, I think.

Comment

Meh. If they were doing 7th St/1st Ave late 70's early 80's I would watch.

Comment

I just signed up for Netflix today, and have watched the first few episodes of Jessica Jones. It's based upon a Marvel comic of the same name that was released under their "Mature" line up, and it really downplays the overall use of special powers in the show, probably for production costs, though they do occasionally appear. Jones is a PI, trying to remain as anonymous as possible, but using her unique skills to perform the jobs that other PIs can't. It's grittier than other Marvel shows, from the content to the language, mostly well acted, and the story is really the focus of the show.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      What? USA and Syfy were playing the pilot over and over all day on Saturday. At first, when I saw it in the guide, I thought they were running all the episodes to date, and I remembered hearing about it, so I had it on in the background while I was on the computer. And so the next episode starts, until they come again to where she's trying to buy insulin, and I'm like , "Whaaaaa, I've already seen this". So I check the guide again, and there it is, "Pilot" over and over and over again.
                      Yeah, I saw it on Saturday, when I noticed it was on for 24 hours. It was 3:35, I realized I could watch it at 4:00, so I was watching Friends on TBS, the next episode started at 4:00, totally spaced and kept on watching Friends and remembered at 4:05. I had to leave at 5 for the BU game so that was my only chance. When I got home from the game I was watching the football game. I know, that way too much info about my Saturday and opportunity to watch a new show.

And I'm TOTALLY watching Vinyl!! Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        I just signed up for Netflix today, and have watched the first few episodes of Jessica Jones. It's based upon a Marvel comic of the same name that was released under their "Mature" line up, and it really downplays the overall use of special powers in the show, probably for production costs, though they do occasionally appear. Jones is a PI, trying to remain as anonymous as possible, but using her unique skills to perform the jobs that other PIs can't. It's grittier than other Marvel shows, from the content to the language, mostly well acted, and the story is really the focus of the show.
                        Daredevil is similar with a good bit more action, I'd say if you like one you'll like the other.

Comment

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Of course, if you're a big movie guy, that does add a big plus (love their selection of obscure and older movies).
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Welcome to the rabbit hole. Of course, if you're a big movie guy, that does add a big plus (love their selection of obscure and older movies).
                            I've had Amazon Prime for a while now, so this is just getting me access to more stuff. Mostly, I'm interested in their original TV stuff.

Comment

First Bill Maher back from break is good. Ralph Reed is one scary dude.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I've had Amazon Prime for a while now, so this is just getting me access to more stuff. Mostly, I'm interested in their original TV stuff.
                                Gotcha. I only used Prime for the Amazon Exclusive stuff (or ordered Season Pass on Amazon). Haven't ever watched a movie on Amazon, thanks to Netflix.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X