This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

Bachelors in Paradise is turning into a great show. It's a show for those of us who hate watch The Bachelor/ette, and it's self-referential and self-parodic. Combined with UnReal running at the same time I think we may have transitioned to a new reality format, the Ironic Reality Show.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Bachelors in Paradise is turning into a great show. It's a show for those of us who hate watch The Bachelor/ette, and it's self-referential and self-parodic. Combined with UnReal running at the same time I think we may have transitioned to a new reality format, the Ironic Reality Show.
      So, like Joe Millionaire or My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance?
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        So, like Joe Millionaire or My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance?
        Were those spinoffs of "serious" shows?
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Were those spinoffs of "serious" shows?
          They weren't spin-offs, but both basically ridiculed contestants of reality shows.

Joe: was portrayed as a millionaire, and they brought in ladies to woo him. He was actually a construction worker or something; the old question of love or money?

BFOF: the fiance and his family were all actors, and the contestant was made to believe that if she married him, and convinced her family that the "love" and marriage was real, she'd win a big sum of money. A case of what would you do to get paid, as the fiance was really a clumsy moron, etc.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

True Detective is the biggest worthless pile of cow dung I've ever seen. I gave it a chance. I believed till the final episode the crap would be redeemed. I was wrong. What a complete waste of time.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

They weren't spin-offs, but both basically ridiculed contestants of reality shows.

Joe: was portrayed as a millionaire, and they brought in ladies to woo him. He was actually a construction worker or something; the old question of love or money?
              Technically, the "Joe" they picked was a millionaire, but all of his money was tied up in assets that he received through inheritance. Otherwise, yeah, he was a construction worker earning something like $30k/year.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                True Detective is the biggest worthless pile of cow dung I've ever seen. I gave it a chance. I believed till the final episode the crap would be redeemed. I was wrong. What a complete waste of time.
                That seems to be the consensus, I still havent made it past episode 4 yet :/
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

BFOF: the fiance and his family were all actors, and the contestant was made to believe that if she married him, and convinced her family that the "love" and marriage was real, she'd win a big sum of money. A case of what would you do to get paid, as the fiance was really a clumsy moron, etc.
                  The Joe Schmoe show (the original, not the sequel) remains the best parody of reality TV to this day.

Comment

Overall, on True Detective, I think I have a higher opinion of it than most people. I think the highs hit with me better than they did with other people, so I have an overall higher opinion of Season 2. But, overall, this season is much, much weaker than Season 1. It isn't Season 7 of Dexter bad, or Season 3 of Homeland bad, though, so there should be some perspective. Part of the reason it seems so bad is because Season 1 was so incredible, that the dropoff, to even mediocre is huge.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Overall, on True Detective, I think I have a higher opinion of it than most people. I think the highs hit with me better than they did with other people, so I have an overall higher opinion of Season 2. But, overall, this season is much, much weaker than Season 1. It isn't Season 7 of Dexter bad, or Season 3 of Homeland bad, though, so there should be some perspective. Part of the reason it seems so bad is because Season 1 was so incredible, that the dropoff, to even mediocre is huge.
                      I've never seen True Detective Season 1. Season 2 is a maggot filled pile of cow dung.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Right, but the thing that I find bizarre and unique about BIP is as near as I can tell it's a show created for the hate watchers of TB. Not only are all the usual accouterments (incidental music, editing choices, the actual one on ones themselves) heavily emphasizing the absurd, but the show comes about as close as you could possibly get to saying "Hey, you know all those fake idiots who faked their way through the other fake show we do? Well, hey, let's watch them be fake to each other for a while." It's as if the show is responding to all the people who say "the Bachelor is BS" with an unequivocal "So, you just figured that out?!"

Anyway, I think it's wonderful, but that may be because my pals Crazy Ashley and Clare Bear are back.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          The Joe Schmoe show (the original, not the sequel) remains the best parody of reality TV to this day.
                          The sequel gave us "Will you accept my pearl necklace?" and "Will you dip your wick in my flame?" Maybe not as good as the original, but still parody gold.

Comment

So it's basically like every show on Tru TV? Is the acting/pretending it is real as obvious?

btw I know first hand that one reality show is very unscripted but the editing is masterful.
                            Last edited by Slap Shot; 08-10-2015, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              I thought Season 1 was good. I don't know that I'd fawn over it like some critics, but I didn't regret watching it. I thought the story could have probably been condensed into maybe four episodes, but it at least generally held my attention.

Season 2 sucked, and its too bad, because I thought the premise had possibilities, the cast had some talent. But it was a story that could have been told in a very average two hour made for television movie. The Lera Lynn songs were good, and probably the only redeeming feature of Season 2.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                I thought Season 1 was good. I don't know that I'd fawn over it like some critics, but I didn't regret watching it. I thought the story could have probably been condensed into maybe four episodes, but it at least generally held my attention.

Season 2 sucked, and its too bad, because I thought the premise had possibilities, the cast had some talent. But it was a story that could have been told in a very average two hour made for television movie. The Lera Lynn songs were good, and probably the only redeeming feature of Season 2.
                                So basically somebody remade Heroes?
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X