• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    House of Cards jumped the shark in Ep 1 of Season 2 and never looked back.
    Nah, S2 was fine. S3 was where it started to catch "how can we out-do what we did last week?" disease. I can understand what happened, though. The British template made it look like it was going to be a Masterpiece Theater audience niche show, but when it exploded they had a ton of middle brow viewers that they wanted to keep. Their answer was sex and 'splosions, albeit subtextual ones.

Smart shows are very fragile. Either they fail because they went over the audience's head, or they succeed and then TPTB step in and start dumbing it down to keep the ratings up. Very rarely do you get a smart show where the creatives have enough control and power that they can say, "yes, that's very nice that everybody likes our show, so we're going to keep on doing what we're doing and if we lose them, whatever."

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    I feel like Orange is spreading itself much too thin and running out of story. A lot of people seemed to like the end of last season, but I thought it reeked of desperation.

House of Cards also went on a downward slope in season 3. I loved it for the politics, but it seemed to turn into a soap opera with a political backstory. Hopefully that changes in season 4.

Muppets returned Tuesday. I thought it was a pretty good episode, but apparently lowest ratings ever. I thought Kep said it had been renewed for a 2nd season already, but who knows if that happens.
    The thing about season 3 of HoC is that before he was focused on climbing higher, but at season 3 it's about keeping the job he has, so the dynamic is going to change a little.

OITNB isn't as good in S3 as S1, but it's still watchable, but I agree we don't need the backstory of every single person to ever set foot in the prison. S4 could be interesting based on the very end of S3, but we shall see.

Leave a comment:

• jerphisch
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Thanks. I tried to capture the spirit of the thing. /SlapShotMovieReference

They really have. Niche audiences and general audiences all around. Some of their "lesser" shows are even home runs, like "The Fall" with Gillian Anderson. That success rate can't hold up; law of averages and all.
    The Fall is a BBC show, Netflix just has US distribution rights. The Brits crank out a ton of good TV.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

House of Cards jumped the shark in Ep 1 of Season 2 and never looked back.

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied

I feel like Orange is spreading itself much too thin and running out of story. A lot of people seemed to like the end of last season, but I thought it reeked of desperation.

House of Cards also went on a downward slope in season 3. I loved it for the politics, but it seemed to turn into a soap opera with a political backstory. Hopefully that changes in season 4.

Muppets returned Tuesday. I thought it was a pretty good episode, but apparently lowest ratings ever. I thought Kep said it had been renewed for a 2nd season already, but who knows if that happens.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

There is a benevolent supreme being.

Archer is returning in March.

I really hope the voice actress for Malory (Jessica Walter) has her voice back. Last season was weird without her wonderful knowing rasp. (It was still her but she had a throat problem.)

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    This... this has to be *THE* best description I have seen regarding the escalation from season one to season three. I still think it may have been a bit too much, but it did work. At least it didn't get spread thin like Orange is the New Black.
    I agree completely about both shows' trajectories.

Orange would have been one of the best shows in history if they had simply made it a mini-series coinciding with the first season. It's been such sh-t since then that it's really tarnished its legacy. But the first 7 or 8 shows, and the season 1 finale, were... "whoa!" Just a great, great show -- for a while.

I really hope now that they know this is the final season that House of Cards returns to the methodical, tactical creepiness of the first season. It was so beautifully done -- right down to the music and the opening credits, which is one of the most eerie and appropriate renderings of DC I've seen.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-04-2016, 08:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MaizeRage
    replied

Seriously though: Manhattan, albeit very fictionalized, was a pretty good period piece that was very fun to watch. WGN-America really was pushing their fledgling channel by removing Manhattan's second season from Hulu - Never offering it on delay on Hulu; Never making the episodes available online. It was never available to watch on my time, so I just gave up trying to watch it.
    Same. Loved the first season, got behind on the second season and there was never a good way to catch up.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

This... this has to be *THE* best description I have seen regarding the escalation from season one to season three. I still think it may have been a bit too much, but it did work. At least it didn't get spread thin like Orange is the New Black.

Netflix has really hit home run after home run. I'll be surprised if they keep their batting average this high in the years to come.
    Thanks. I tried to capture the spirit of the thing. /SlapShotMovieReference

They really have. Niche audiences and general audiences all around. Some of their "lesser" shows are even home runs, like "The Fall" with Gillian Anderson. That success rate can't hold up; law of averages and all.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

WGN America cancelled Manhattan today. Now I'll never know if they get the gadget working in Los Alamos and help stop the war...

Seriously though: Manhattan, albeit very fictionalized, was a pretty good period piece that was very fun to watch. WGN-America really was pushing their fledgling channel by removing Manhattan's second season from Hulu - Never offering it on delay on Hulu; Never making the episodes available online. It was never available to watch on my time, so I just gave up trying to watch it.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    ...so they accelerated things. And then gave it HGH. And cocaine. And about 8 cases of energy drinks.

Netflix has really hit home run after home run. I'll be surprised if they keep their batting average this high in the years to come.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I just started House of Cards last week and have made it through nine episodes. It was funny to see the that VP thought his new position would give him greater clout in Washington only to then come back to reality of what the VP position actually is. The actor did a great job of making him turn bitter, and then finally accept his role and figure out a way to use it on the campaign trail.

Other than that, Underwood's breaking of the fourth wall is perhaps the best part of the whole show because it's the one time a politician will actually speak the truth - in real life or fiction.
    I will warn you, it ramps up in action hardcore, and I think it's because of the initial contract. They didn't know it become this huge of a show, so they accelerated things. And then gave it HGH. And cocaine. And about 8 cases of energy drinks.

That being said, I love the show, and his breaking the fourth wall is spectacular.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    Just watched it. Yeah it was. A total in-joke the whole time. Right down to the name of late X-Files director Kim Manners on the headstone Mulder passed out in front of.

And at the end, Mulder, who was questioning his life's direction, much as Guy was, had his faith in monsters and the supernatural restored. has to go up there with the best of any X-Files episode ever.
    Loved it. I also loved the homage to Kolchak (Guy is wearing his outfit), and Murray from Conchords was great as he is in everything.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-04-2016, 08:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

Masters of Sex. I'm 4 eps into season 1 and I can't decide if it's simply voyeuristic (not tongue in cheek despite the obvious subject matter) or if there will be more regarding their actual research and even the topic at large during the era. This might not be apples to apples, but I really wanted to like Manhattan for instance but give me way more science and a lot less soap opera. This might apply to MoS.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Loved tonight's ep of X-files.

Hilarious.

Just watched it. Yeah it was. A total in-joke the whole time. Right down to the name of late X-Files director Kim Manners on the headstone Mulder passed out in front of.

And at the end, Mulder, who was questioning his life's direction, much as Guy was, had his faith in monsters and the supernatural restored. has to go up there with the best of any X-Files episode ever.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X