X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

X Files: Babylon was horrible. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

It was horrible.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    Memory for you?
    Yes. Personal memories.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Like I said, if Scorcese ain't showing enough sex, drugs or gangsters, that must have been one hell of a time period in real life.
    Tom Barnard was saying that guys from the record companies would drop off albums for DJs to play back then that didn't have money stuffed in them, it was whatever drug that station's DJ wanted. And then there was the cash, too. Hosing over the music acts with the recoupable expenses was just as bad as they described - performers getting absolutely hosed over if they weren't huge successes.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Like I said, if Scorcese ain't showing enough sex, drugs or gangsters, that must have been one hell of a time period in real life.
    Oh, I think it was.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    It's Scorcese. There was still plenty of sex, drug and 'splosions. Marty aint subtle.

The one thing I really liked about it was that the live performances actually sounded like they were a live performance. Not like the movie CBGB, where you have this grungy club setting, and then the performance starts, and it's the actors miming to a track from the studio album. Completely destroyed the atmosphere they were trying to create.
    Last edited by rufus; 02-16-2016, 03:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

It's Scorcese. There was still plenty of sex, drug and 'splosions. Marty aint subtle.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    We'll see, but I liked episode 1. Every other song on the soundtrack has some sort of important memory attached. Now I know why the Boomers love their sad sack Big Chill et al.
    Memory for you?

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    re: Vinyl

there weren't enough gangsters, sex or drugs involved in the show.
    And with Scorcese, that's saying something.

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'll probably watch it for the music and the visuals, but I'm going to be disappointed.
    That's all I'm in it for anyway, so no disappointments on the horizon.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

re: Vinyl

I've seen about 90 minutes of the first episode, will finish the remainder tonight. Listening to Tom Barnard this morning, he used to work in the record business back in the 70s into the early 80s with Capitol. His impression was that the company was entirely unrealistic because there weren't enough gangsters, sex or drugs involved in the show.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I liked the episode a lot as well. Only concern, though, and that's where it's going to go. If it's just "wash, rinse, dry, repeat" for 10 episodes, I'll probably watch it for the music and the visuals, but I'm going to be disappointed.
    We'll see, but I liked episode 1. Every other song on the soundtrack has some sort of important memory attached. Now I know why the Boomers love their sad sack Big Chill et al.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-16-2016, 12:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Ok, after watching Vinyl, all fears unfounded. The Zeppelin thing wasn't what I thought it was, and in fact, could have actually happened when their contract with Atlantic expired, before they were offered their own label, distributed by Atlantic. Ray Romano still bugs me though.

The show was great. Everything about it was top notch, from costuming and hair, to the music. Loved that Richie seemingly did have "golden ears" as they showed him hearing and being intrigued by the early rumblings of punk and rap music that he heard in the streets. The scene where he's at the NY Dolls show, rediscovering what it is about music that he loves, how it makes him feel, was wonderful. And the fact that he's so knowledgeable about it, and the different styles, from the rock that he grew up with in the '50s, to blues, r&b, pop music, and now the new stuff he's discovering.

Andrew Dice Clay was a riot. And from everything I've read about Peter Grant, they captured him perfectly.

And nice to see Ted Cruz in a cameo as one of the gangsters.
    I liked the episode a lot as well. Only concern, though, and that's where it's going to go. If it's just "wash, rinse, dry, repeat" for 10 episodes, I'll probably watch it for the music and the visuals, but I'm going to be disappointed.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

X Files

Personally, I think this is one of the better episodes of the "event." Nice mirroring on the agents' dynamics, and the Mulder Mushroom sequence...hilarious and WTeFF at the same time.

Next week is full-bore gub'ment episode; should be interesting to say the least.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Better Call Saul

Loved it last year, but got busy towards the end of the season and didn't see the last 2.

Watched 6-10 over the past 24 hours and gotta say I absolutely love this show.

There are aspects of it that I like better than BB.
    This show is tremendous. Going live in about 3 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5_A0Wx0jU4

Just over a month to go

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Ok, after watching Vinyl, all fears unfounded. The Zeppelin thing wasn't what I thought it was, and in fact, could have actually happened when their contract with Atlantic expired, before they were offered their own label, distributed by Atlantic. Ray Romano still bugs me though.

The show was great. Everything about it was top notch, from costuming and hair, to the music. Loved that Richie seemingly did have "golden ears" as they showed him hearing and being intrigued by the early rumblings of punk and rap music that he heard in the streets. The scene where he's at the NY Dolls show, rediscovering what it is about music that he loves, how it makes him feel, was wonderful. And the fact that he's so knowledgeable about it, and the different styles, from the rock that he grew up with in the '50s, to blues, r&b, pop music, and now the new stuff he's discovering.

Andrew Dice Clay was a riot. And from everything I've read about Peter Grant, they captured him perfectly.

And nice to see Ted Cruz in a cameo as one of the gangsters.
    Last edited by rufus; 02-15-2016, 06:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X