• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    I think Duchovny and Anderson are fine with doing more X-Files, as long as it's limited episode runs like this, rather than a full 18-20 episode season.
    I dunno. Whereas the conspiracy stuff was creepy when they did it, now... well frankly a real life with ISIS and Ted Cruz is creepier than any X file. The monster of the week is fine but will become repetitive. Mulder and Scully's baby is a godawful and maudlin storyline. The UFO arc is done to death. Attempts so far to become philosophically interesting just show the shallow, cliche-ridden ineptitude of the writers. They have nowhere to go.

In keeping with Murray's wearing Kolchak's clothes in that episode, X Files is itself as dated a 90s show as Kolchak was a 70s show. It should be retired, honorably and affectionately. Give Fox his sister and Scully her brat and let them live out their days blissfully unaware that the real conspiracy was us along.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-17-2016, 10:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I think that was a trial balloon. Einstein can stay; Miller's a stiff.
    I don't think so. I think it was just a goof by Carter. Goof, as in, joke. They already tried the X-Files with people other than Mulder and Scully, and it wasn't terrific. Doing it without Mulder and Scully, but with younger Mulder and Scully clones would be stretching the audience's patience.

I think Duchovny and Anderson are fine with doing more X-Files, as long as it's limited episode runs like this, rather than a full 18-20 episode season.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Oh no, I see him as a mix of charming and d-baggery, depending upon the situation. He's clearly not pure evil, though he's mostly going through his non-life for his own self satisfaction, he does show the occasional soft spot which can make the character endearing. Still, d-baggery can be a fun trait to watch in a TV show character so long as it's done well.
    Agreed. There's a charming dbag and an annoying dbag. If he wasn't played by Ellis, I'm not sure that show survives it's first few episodes. Could be wrong though.

Edit: Whoa. Lucifer still pulled in a 1.6 despite going up against the Grammys. That's huge for Fox. X-Files did a 2.1 but it's been a ratings giant for Fox this year. It will be interesting to see what happens with Lucifer when Gotham replaces X-Files. Based on the ratings from this week, I think it's got it's core audience locked in.

Edit 2: Lucifer was actually hitting as high as 3.8 on the plus seven day ratings.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 02-17-2016, 09:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Keep in mind, this is a show with something like a 50% metacritic rating and it was generally savaged in the ratings. I don't get the generalized hate. I can certainly see a bunch of uptight dickwads like AV Club hating this show. People need to have more fun in life.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yeah, that part was great. So it sounds like you're one of the people who see him as a charming character instead of the d-bag. This is a good sign for the rest of the show for you.

Glad you liked it. It gets even better.
    Oh no, I see him as a mix of charming and d-baggery, depending upon the situation. He's clearly not pure evil, though he's mostly going through his non-life for his own self satisfaction, he does show the occasional soft spot which can make the character endearing. Still, d-baggery can be a fun trait to watch in a TV show character so long as it's done well.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Based upon this, I decided to watch the pilot episode tonight. That was fun! The wedding scene was my favorite part.
    I'm watching Lucifer only because of positive remarks on this thread. I am enjoying it immensely.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I have really liked all of the episodes of the X-Files season. It sure looks to me like they're going for a reboot with Miller and Einstein.
    I think that was a trial balloon. Einstein can stay; Miller's a stiff.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

First episode of S2 of Better Call Saul was great. I have no doubt that this season will be great just like season 1.

I have really liked all of the episodes of the X-Files season. It sure looks to me like they're going for a reboot with Miller and Einstein.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I didn't think it was that bad. Are they passing the torch? Looks like they could be. I'll watch.
    DOubtful. They've already said they want back in.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Almost finished with Mr. Robot season 1...it got better but is very very cliche in many parts. The reveal of who Mr. Robot is was so obvious I had it pegged 20 minutes into episode one. Ruined what had been 3 great episodes in a row. I hope the finale fixes that.

edit: W T F...terrible ending to the season. I dont get why people love this show so much...just watch Fight Club it is over faster and at least the narrative works better.
    I agree. I was pretty underwhelmed by it. It wasn't bad, but I definitely didn't think it deserved all of the hype.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    X Files: Babylon was horrible. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

It was horrible.
    I didn't think it was that bad. Are they passing the torch? Looks like they could be. I'll watch.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Yeah, that part was great. So it sounds like you're one of the people who see him as a charming character instead of the d-bag. This is a good sign for the rest of the show for you.

Glad you liked it. It gets even better.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Lucifer had its best show of the season so far.
    Based upon this, I decided to watch the pilot episode tonight. That was fun! The wedding scene was my favorite part.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    Like I said, if Scorcese ain't showing enough sex, drugs or gangsters, that must have been one hell of a time period in real life.

The one thing I really liked about it was that the live performances actually sounded like they were a live performance. Not like the movie CBGB, where you have this grungy club setting, and then the performance starts, and it's the actors miming to a track from the studio album. Completely destroyed the atmosphere they were trying to create.
    Watch some docs on Studio 54, the NY scene in general...it was friggin' crazy.

And Kepler proves once again he hates something most people like. Just because.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Lucifer had its best show of the season so far.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X