X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rufus
    replied
    Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

This is a Nakamichi CR-7A, from the late 80's. My main deck was the next one down in the line, the CR-5A. But this clip shows the guy making an audio recording, and switching between the sound coming from the source(cd player) and the sound that's being laid down on the tape. Practically identical, at least you can't detect any difference by just your ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--7y3G5as0Q

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

I don't know that it's an inside joke, as just some appropriate period piece set design. A top record honcho who loves music as much as Richie does would probably have a great sound system at home, and Naks were the best cassette decks around at the time. Nothing else even came close, maybe Teac, Revox or Tandberg, but none of the mainstream audio makers could touch them.

But then, I'm a huge Nakamichi fan, and own two of them. It's sad that the company now is just a shadow of its former self, churning out mid-level quality consumables just like any other electronics manufacturer, instead of high quality audiophile stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    And it's the geek in me, but I loved the shot of Richie's Nakamichi cassette deck dominating the screen. Best cassette decks ever made.
    I'll bet half the inside jokes are going over my head. Every once in a while I get a real subtle nod re: the music and think, "holy crap, this thing is working on about 5 levels at once." But there are whole sets of references, like the tech stuff, that I'm just going to flat out miss. It would be great to watch with an audiophile.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Vinyl episode 3 was great. The music is fantastic, and I love the interactions between the three shareholders.
    The Alice Cooper guillotine scene was hysterical.

And it's the geek in me, but I loved the shot of Richie's Nakamichi cassette deck dominating the screen. Best cassette decks ever made.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Vinyl episode 3 was great. The music is fantastic, and I love the interactions between the three shareholders.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    In the grand pantheon of TV seasons, while The Wire Season 3 is very good, maybe in my top 10, it doesn't surpass at least 2 seasons of BB, probably 2-3 seasons of Game of Thrones, season 1 of True Detective, or either season of Fargo, in my rankings, and those are just in the last 4-5 years. Granted, I think the level of quality in dramatic TV has been elevated so much in the last 5 years, that I doubt there would be many old series that deserve to be higher than these new series.
    Season 5 in GoT was a masterpiece. I can't wait to start rewatching the series in prep for the new season.

Among other series:
    True Detective S1
    Futurama S4
    GoT S4 (though all of them could probably be up here)
    HoC S1
    Fargo S2 (haven't seen S1)
    The Bridge S1
    Probably one or two of The Sopranos seasons.
    The Shield as an entire package. S2 was pretty amazing.
    House S3 & S4
    Lost S2
    Mr. Robot S1
    Dexter S4

I didn't list BB since I haven't seen the whole thing yet.

I'm sure I'm missing some

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

This weekend I finished up Season 3 of The Wire. From what I've heard, this is supposed to be the peak of the series, and from what I've seen so far, season 3 was definitely the best. I really enjoyed (well, as much as you can enjoy The Wire, it isn't exactly uplifting) the way it was setup, the many plot points that were weaved together. I thought season 2 was a bit disjointed, leaving what I think of as the main story arc, but it all came together in season 3 again. I don't want to go into details, even though the series has been done for several years now, since I know of a few posters that are planning on watching it at some point.

In the grand pantheon of TV seasons, while The Wire Season 3 is very good, maybe in my top 10, it doesn't surpass at least 2 seasons of BB, probably 2-3 seasons of Game of Thrones, season 1 of True Detective, or either season of Fargo, in my rankings, and those are just in the last 4-5 years. Granted, I think the level of quality in dramatic TV has been elevated so much in the last 5 years, that I doubt there would be many old series that deserve to be higher than these new series.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    telling the rioter to STOP (and he does!)
    I'm going to suspend disbelief and pretend they were mocking themselves, because otherwise I could never look as Chris Carter again.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Jon View Post
    I"m with Kepler on this. The middle 4 episodes ranged from passable to fantastic. The last X-Files episode was horrid. It was like one of the bad over the top Doctor Who episodes where "OMG! The whole world is in trouble! THE WHOLE WORLD!" That's not the X-Files I know and love. The scenes between Mulder and the Smoking Man were fun. But that was about it. Scully running around a lab with Red Head Number 2 was meh. They never improved Reyes' character and Joel McHale has been in better roles. The ending was silly.
    The redonkulous running around with IVs and no one jacking Scully for them, telling the rioter to STOP (and he does!), and somehow being the only vehicle to be able to drive blocks with somewhat ease...

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

I"m with Kepler on this. The middle 4 episodes ranged from passable to fantastic. The last X-Files episode was horrid. It was like one of the bad over the top Doctor Who episodes where "OMG! The whole world is in trouble! THE WHOLE WORLD!" That's not the X-Files I know and love. The scenes between Mulder and the Smoking Man were fun. But that was about it. Scully running around a lab with Red Head Number 2 was meh. They never improved Reyes' character and Joel McHale has been in better roles. The ending was silly.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    He has been on a couple times...good stuff
    I know, but this might be my favorite appearance of his. He's done well at goading Sheldon, but this time he showed that he's good at being the subject of the joke, too.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

He has been on a couple times...good stuff

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Stephen Hawking was on The Big Bang Theory tonight. I may not understand even a tenth of the man's work, but you have to like a guy who has such a great sense of humor about himself.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
    The acting is really good in it, actually(except for Travolta). I would have thought Oscar Isaacs was a no-brainer for best miniseries actor, but Courtney B. Vance is going to give him a serious run for his money.
    The acting in the last episode was amazing. The guy playing Ron Goldman's dad was so perfectly believable I had to go back and watch his scene three times. It is possible to play an emotionally charged breakdown just right, without hamming it up. It was also a terrific set up to Clark then being so frustrated by the DA's decision to drop the death penalty. That was the first moment in the show when I could be inside her head.

Also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but Travolta's acting in that episode was excellent. The superficiality and breeziness of the prior episodes was an ideal platform for what happens when his ego is threatened. The "awkward elevator ride" was one of the best scenes in the show so far, which, I gotta tell you, has been just a shade short of brilliant. I assumed this was going to be a hate watch, but no, it's got its hooks in me and I swear the protrayal of these characters has more depth than the actual people, who on the whole struck me at the time as being vacuous ambition machines.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

I'm with Kepler, not impressed with the X-Files finale. It just seemed rushed, and tedious at the same time. I kept dozing off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X