X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    We couldn't get into it. Much prefer Luther for dark crime drama.
    I like Gillian Anderson, and IIRC she has a very good reputation for acting in the theater aspect of things. Doubt I'll marathon this series, prob just do an ep a night or something...very detailed and complex for a true "marathoning."
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Daily Show with a great ending as Springsteen plays him out. All the old correspondents came back, even Cenac.

I don't know what Noah's Daily Show will look like, but I hope people give it a chance.

For the next month Larry Wilmore will be sole bearer of the Comedy Central late night torch. That's strange to think about.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Larry Wilmore is not good. Maybe it's his format but I can't stand him.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Didn't realize S1 of The Fall was so short. I agree it ended oddly, but that first ep of S2 was....wow. Creep factor amplified.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Larry Wilmore is not good. Maybe it's his format but I can't stand him.
            The bits on Wilmore are terrible -- it's interesting to flip back and forth to TDS and watch the difference. Part of the reason is Wilmore's staff is frankly way less talented. I wonder if some of the TDS staff will move over now. He needs it.

When Wilmore is talking about something he's passionate about, he's great. He's GREAT on race -- he's really the only person who can pull off the intolerable idiocy that blacks have to face and still be weirdly appealing. He's like what Aasif Mandvi was able to do during the height of all the anti-Brown stupidity.

When Wilmore is not engaged he's just mailing it in. No worse than, say, Letterman's last 15 years. But really with Stewart, Colbert, and Oliver the bar is now insanely high. This is actually the golden age of political parody, maybe because the bad guys are so SMFH awful.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Watched the final Daily Show with my mom (who's in town) who started watching it over 10 years ago after seeing it while visiting us back in the day.

Over time, she was a more avid viewer of TDS and Colbert than me.

Nice for it to come full circle tonight.

Wilmore sucks. Unwatchable.

Comment

Oliver might be better than Stewart frankly. But again, it might be due to the format. I generally watched 100% of TDS's first segment, 25% of the second segment, and 50% of the interviews.

LWT is basically a 30-minute, uncensored version of the first segment. It's brilliant.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Wilmore has his moments. The question is will he last enough to figure it all out. John Oliver is awesome, I love his new show. I hope Trevor gets a chance and works out, it's an important show.

Colbert's farewell to John with the Lord of the Rings references were pure gold. And his heartfelt Thank You was strictly awesome.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Didn't realize S1 of The Fall was so short. I agree it ended oddly, but that first ep of S2 was....wow. Creep factor amplified.
                    I knew it was short, but I was thinking there was one more episode. I think it is actually 7 episodes, and I was expecting 8. Haven't started season 2 yet, maybe this weekend.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I think the panel format Wilmore has for the second segment could work if he did it for the entire show, but it's too cramped for time now so everyone just tries to throw in punch lines instead of decent discussion.

Also, was it just me or did Sam Bee seem like she didn't want to be there? Maybe she was just trying to fight back emotion again since she cried so much at her last appearance, but during the big group hug she just sort of walked up and stood awkwardly to the side.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Good last episode, but Colbert's may rank as the all-time best last episode ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          Also, was it just me or did Sam Bee seem like she didn't want to be there? Maybe she was just trying to fight back emotion again since she cried so much at her last appearance, but during the big group hug she just sort of walked up and stood awkwardly to the side.
                          I read that there is a lot of good bye footage that never made it onto the broadcast, and some stuff that was done in front of the studio audience that they refused to record so people could say or do what they please so it could be semi private. The all means that we don't know the entirety of events from yesterday, so she may have spent herself in all of the off-air moments.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            I knew it was short, but I was thinking there was one more episode. I think it is actually 7 episodes, and I was expecting 8. Haven't started season 2 yet, maybe this weekend.
                            I was expecting 8 eps, too. Not really a spoiler, but in the beginning of S2...the train ride. *shudder*

Ep2, S2...the game has been upped.
                            Last edited by The Rube; 08-07-2015, 09:44 PM.

Comment

The Fall:

S2, Ep3:

Dude. DUDE. Approaching Hannibal level of mental games.

Comment

The Fall:

Finished S2. Solid ending, no spoiler as part of this is obvious: the final showdown between the investigator and suspect is quite awesome. You knew there was going to be a showdown, it was a matter of how they approached "the game." It was done right. Looking forward to S3.

Comment

Working...
                                X