• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnnypohlfan
    replied
    Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    Yep. Everyone is just waiting for Negan, and they know it.
    It's been fun since I learned what happens when he shows up (at least in the comics) and telling my wife that she is going to be pretty pizzed. She keeps guessing but hasn't landed on it yet. Should be interesting when he finally makes his appearance with Lucille.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Thoughts on the Bachelor finale, because I know you all depend on me.

Spoilers below:

1. When Dr. Mrs. and I held our fantasy bachelorette draft, I won the RPS and drafted Lauren B. #1 overall. She said she would have done the same. So, both of us picked the eventual winner using only the picture and little bio provided by the show prior to the first limo greetings. Either we are all tapped into a Jungian synchronous collective unconscious, or we both have watched way too much television, or it was a coincidence (albeit one with odds of 26-squared to 1).

2. Both women looked beautiful in their finale dresses, JoJo because she was a little s-x kitten and Lauren because Lauren is, genuinely, a lovely woman.

3. JoJo was so forgettable throughout the run of the show that I didn't recognize her on her final date. I mean, come on son.

4. Ben proved himself an empty suit, first by his heel routine of being "in love" with both women, then by his inept and self-centered dumping of JoJo.

5. Although it is my standing contention that there is no genuine emotion in the show and that everybody is there for their 15 minutes / to hype whatever sad sack soap opera acting career they aspire to, Lauren at times actually looked like she might have a wisp of sincere feeling for Ben, which is grotesque because (a) it's Ben, and (b) it's a contrived voyeuristic cattle call to get middle-aged brood sows to cake on more makeup, so actual emotional involvement would indicate desperation or a pathology.

6. The final ran 3 hours. We fast forwarded through everything unnecessary. Our viewing time was about 18 minutes.

7. Ben was the second-most boring Bachelor of all time, second to that flyover stiff 4 cocks ago, Sean. He had no chemistry with anyone, and was also shifty-eyed and bored. May he live long and prosper as the assistant manager of whatever La Quinta Inn he winds up at.

8. This was an unfortunate cycle because the drunk sobered up quickly, the villain went home about show 4, and there was really nothing redeeming about any of the on-screen personnel. The show has long-teetered on the lip of too much product placement and this year it slipped over, making many of the group dates unwatchable. The music choice for the one on one after parties is too often that sickeningly stale country/pop crossover dreck that clogs the arteries of the prairie haus fraus that are the show's go to demo. There is no longer any attempt to bring in younger viewers, bathing the whole show in a sad sort of furniture store narcolepsy.

Finally, Chris Harrison's gettin' old, and his interaction with the cast continues to decrease. Chris is either losing interest or being phased out, and to be honest as with T. J. Lavin it's probably time to let it go. The boys of summer are gone, gentlemen. Depart with dignity.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Agreed. Still watching it, but it really is just rehashing the same stuff over and over.
    Yep. Everyone is just waiting for Negan, and they know it.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied
    3 season of Jimmy
    1 season of Saul, pre-BB
    1 season of Saul, post-BB
    That makes sense, but that's also probably the upper limit of how far they can go with this.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Up through Episode 6 of House of Cards, this is my favorite season since the first one. Very well done.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    TWD - getting progressively more bored with this show as the years go by.

It's honestly a similar arc over and over. What else is there to this story and why should I keep caring?

I've heard Neegan is something else though, so we'll see.
    Agreed. Still watching it, but it really is just rehashing the same stuff over and over.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    HoC

Always meant to get around to watching this as I heard great things about it and I follow actual politics.

Great show. Far exceeding (my high) expectations.

Season 2, episode 1... My jaw literally dropped.

3 or 4 into season 2. Started watching Sunday night.
    My thoughts of HoC is that it is very good for the first 2 seasons, not the best show up there, but solidly in the top 3-5. Season 3 was ok, but a letdown. Season 4, so far (I think I have 1 episode left), is the best season yet. Incredibly good. It still isn't the best show I've seen this season, it doesn't beat Fargo, or possibly Better Call Saul (still TBD), and I seriously doubt that it will end up better than GoT.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

TWD - getting progressively more bored with this show as the years go by.

It's honestly a similar arc over and over. What else is there to this story and why should I keep caring?

I've heard Neegan is something else though, so we'll see.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

HoC

Always meant to get around to watching this as I heard great things about it and I follow actual politics.

Great show. Far exceeding (my high) expectations.

Season 2, episode 1... My jaw literally dropped.

3 or 4 into season 2. Started watching Sunday night.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    There's definitely not 5 seasons here without one of them being post BB. I do think there's something big coming with his brother, either a major health issue of a skeleton in his closet.
    3 season of Jimmy
    1 season of Saul, pre-BB
    1 season of Saul, post-BB

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied
    Pretty sure Gilligan has said 4-5. But season 5 may be post-BB.
    There's definitely not 5 seasons here without one of them being post BB. I do think there's something big coming with his brother, either a major health issue of a skeleton in his closet.

Leave a comment:

• BassAle
    replied

Better Call Saul.

I don't see how this doesn't get wrapped up in 3 seasons. I wouldn't be overly surprised if the story gets told in two.
    I think the original idea was a dark comedy series. That could have gone on a while, spend a few episodes each on new criminals and his schemes for getting them off. Since they went with a drama covering the evolution of Jimmy McGill to Saul Goodman, it definitely has the danger of getting dragged on for too long.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Better Call Saul.

I don't see how this doesn't get wrapped up in 3 seasons. I wouldn't be overly surprised if the story gets told in two.
    Pretty sure Gilligan has said 4-5. But season 5 may be post-BB.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

Better Call Saul.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
    tWD: Bad*** Carol is bad***.
    Even when she doesn't want to be Badass Carol.

What Richie is doing to the Nasty Bits on Vinyl is everything that's wrong about the music business. Hopefully Duck stays in the band. Was nice seeing the Big Star reference too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X