X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    His name is Philip Winchester. He was in the Cinemax series Strike Back. LOVE HIM! I actually met him at the Emmys last week - super nice guy. I recorded this but haven't watched it yet.
    Got the jawline of a hero.

Both lead guys from Strike Back got lead roles on network series this season, both with NBC. The other guy is on Blindspot.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      How can you trust Heroes wont crap the bed? That is their MO. The end of Season 1 was so terrible I walked away and everything I heard after made me glad I did. The commercials for this new season sure didnt make me think this would be different.
      It probably will. But hopefully Kring learned enough from that first run that he's got a coherent storyline in mind for this one. I don't know if he can afford to let this one fall apart like the first one did.

I can't even remember the end of season one. I don't recall it being that terrible then. It got bad later with Sylar a good guy one week, then a bad guy, then back to a good guy, ad nauseum. And the final season carnival was really bad, even with Robert Knepper.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Does anybody wait to see how the new shows shake out before they start to watch? At least for the networks since the cable channels usually let them play out and not cancel after 2 episodes. This is the tactic I have followed the last couple of years after liking several shows that got cancelled after only a couple of episodes. If early enough I catch up on demand, like The Blacklist a few years ago, they usually store about 6 epps or so for my cable company. Or I wait until the end of the year and watch it on Netflix, Person of Interest, The Arrow etc. or like this year I taped the Empire Labor Day marathon on FX. I actually caught up on The Flash by watching them this summer which was unusual since they are moving more towards no reruns in the summertime.

I was debating whether or not to watch Quantico tonight, I'm going away for 3 weeks tomorrow so I guess when I return I will find out if it is a hit or not. I haven't watched CSI in years but will probably watch the finale since Grissom is returning to see how they end it.
        Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post
          Does anybody wait to see how the new shows shake out before they start to watch? At least for the networks since the cable channels usually let them play out and not cancel after 2 episodes. This is the tactic I have followed the last couple of years after liking several shows that got cancelled after only a couple of episodes. If early enough I catch up on demand, like The Blacklist a few years ago, they usually store about 6 epps or so for my cable company. Or I wait until the end of the year and watch it on Netflix, Person of Interest, The Arrow etc. or like this year I taped the Empire Labor Day marathon on FX. I actually caught up on The Flash by watching them this summer which was unusual since they are moving more towards no reruns in the summertime.

I was debating whether or not to watch Quantico tonight, I'm going away for 3 weeks tomorrow so I guess when I return I will find out if it is a hit or not. I haven't watched CSI in years but will probably watch the finale since Grissom is returning to see how they end it.
          This is the method (although accidental) I used for most of the shows I've watched in the past few years:

Caught up after a couple seasons:
          Mad Men
          Breaking Bad
          Sons Of Anarchy
          The League
          How I Met Your Mother (abandoned it after the 4th season, for good reason)
          Justified

Shows that I started from day 1:
          House Of Cards
          The Americans
          The Fall
          Narcos

Just finished S1 of Narcos tonight. Awesome show. The leading characters (who play Pablo Escobar and Steve Murphy the DEA agent) are almost surpassed in performance by the supporting actors. Solid cast all the way through. I'd have to imagine this is about a 3 season show, unless they want it to fall off the proverbial cliff, and 3 seasons might be pushing it. They could extend it by continuing the story with the other cartels that formed, however.

It's told Goodfellas-style, with a voice-over narrative in many parts, from the POV of Murphy. Highly recommend.
          Last edited by The Rube; 09-27-2015, 08:13 PM.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            It probably will. But hopefully Kring learned enough from that first run that he's got a coherent storyline in mind for this one. I don't know if he can afford to let this one fall apart like the first one did.

I can't even remember the end of season one. I don't recall it being that terrible then. It got bad later with Sylar a good guy one week, then a bad guy, then back to a good guy, ad nauseum. And the final season carnival was really bad, even with Robert Knepper.
            Season 1 built up all those storylines ll culminating in what was supposed to be the epic showdown between Syler and Mr. All Powers But No Personality. The second the show got a second season that got wiped away and the fight lasted like 2 minutes with nothing happening. Then Season 2 started with Future Hiro talking about a conspiracy or something...I laughed and never put it back on. Almost tried again until I learn Syler was a good guy and realized Kring had no clue what he was doing.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              So Nickelodeon announced The Splat. A late night programming block on Teen Nick of 90's cartoons and shows. The shows to start off are:
              All That (probably not gonna hold up)
              Angry Beavers (not one of my favorites)
              Are You Afraid of the Dark? (good choice)
              CatDog (meh)
              Clarissa Explains It All (Melissa Joan Hart was a babe)
              Hey Arnold! (my favorite!)
              Hey Dude (Ben Stiller's wife Christine Taylor was in it)
              Keenan & Kel ("who loves orange soda?")
              Ren & Stimpy (obviously)
              Legends of the Hidden Temple (Olmec and Kirk Fogg! Classic Nick game show.)
              Rocko's Modern Life (he did work at a phone sex line)
              Rugrats (overrated IMO)
              Salute Your Shorts ("It's 'I hope we never part!' Now get it right or pay the price!")
              The Wild Thornberrys (Another overrated one IMO)

I'm being pandered to and I like it.
              How did Doug not make the cut?!
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Season 1 built up all those storylines ll culminating in what was supposed to be the epic showdown between Syler and Mr. All Powers But No Personality. The second the show got a second season that got wiped away and the fight lasted like 2 minutes with nothing happening. Then Season 2 started with Future Hiro talking about a conspiracy or something...I laughed and never put it back on. Almost tried again until I learn Syler was a good guy and realized Kring had no clue what he was doing.
                Season 1 was outstanding and then Season 2 started what became an epic pile of steaming dog crap after that.

I've never had a bigger let down from one season to another than Heroes Season 1 to 2.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  Season 1 was outstanding and then Season 2 started what became an epic pile of steaming dog crap after that.

I've never had a bigger let down from one season to another than Heroes Season 1 to 2.
                  I agree with this if you count the Season 1 finale as the first episode of season 2.

There are supposedly good reasons for why this happened involving the studio jerking with the creative staff at the last minute, but rarely has something so good crashed and burned so fast and so completely. It was as if the clever, interesting, funny writers from the first season were all locked out of the building and replaced by the people who write average television.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Based on the pilots:

Heroes: you can't go home again. I'll probably check in with it from time to time, but it's nothing special.

Minority Report: take a brilliant, weird idea; make a stupid but at least cool movie out of it; then make a cliche cop drama out of it. I stopped before the pilot even ended. I have zero interest in what they're doing, although it's alarming that they seem to have missed the entire philosophical point of the concept and re-imagined it as yet another sheeplish paean to law enforcement.

The Muppets: amazing. Looks like whoever's writing it is wickedly funny and deftly subversive. I have great hopes.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 09-28-2015, 10:50 AM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The CSI finale was pretty meh. The Ted Danson character is moving over to CSI:Cyber which starts next Sunday. I officially refused to watch the 3rd spinoff of the original so my CSI days are over.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        Got the jawline of a hero.

Both lead guys from Strike Back got lead roles on network series this season, both with NBC. The other guy is on Blindspot.
                        Well aware of that rufus. He said he and Sully talked about how cool it would be if their shows did a crossover, since both are on NBC. I told I would watch and tried to see if I could get from him if Sullivan Stapleton was at the Emmys, since his co star was and I didn't even have to ask. He told me he wasn't there. Bummer. Though I may have fangirled myself out the door if Sullivan Stapleton was there as I luuuuurve him. I did achieve my greatest get - I met Kyle Chandler!!!

Comment

Didn't watch True Detective?
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Based on the pilots:

Heroes: you can't go home again. I'll probably check in with it from time to time, but it's nothing special.

Minority Report: take a brilliant, weird idea; make a stupid but at least cool movie out of it; then make a cliche cop drama out of it. I stopped before the pilot even ended. I have zero interest in what they're doing, although it's alarming that they seem to have missed the entire philosophical point of the concept and re-imagined it as yet another sheeplish paean to law enforcement.

The Muppets: amazing. Looks like whoever's writing it is wickedly funny and deftly subversive. I have great hopes.
                            Also loving the Muppets! Funny and adult, hoping they can maintain it

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Didn't watch True Detective?
                              That was a different story and cost though...Heroes was a continuing plot.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

How did Doug not make the cut?!
                                I'm thinking there is some hitch with Disney partially owning the rights maybe... Seems like it should be there, but who knows when The Mouse is involved...
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X