• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Re: TV, or not TV, that is the question

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Also, if Mad Men made infantile 30-something GQ boys of the '00s start acting like adult men again...
    Because it's so "adult" to drink like they're reinstating prohibition tomorrow, and carry on multiple affairs?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I liked the Alice Cooper storyline, and the Nasty Bits story is ok and the Bowie stuff was cool and I like Richie about half the time but I find him annoying and a waste of space the other half. I feel like they force feed us his inner turmoil to the determent of the other characters and their storylines. Hell we know very little about Ray Romano (except he makes lots of jokes about being Jewish and is always worried about money) and even less about the other partner except that he has deals to hide records all over town. Meanwhile every time Richie sneezes we need a 4 minute scene complete with some musical impersonator and a flashback about how it is parallel or relevant to some other story that happened in the past when Richie was actually way more interesting.

My problem isnt the idea for the show, it is that I feel like it needs less of Richie and more of the changes happening in music and how it effects his label and partners not just him and the crap he shovels up his nose as he destroys everyone in his wake.
    It's Mad Men. The first season was about Don; after that it branched out.

As far as whether it's ludicrous, from everything I have read over the years pretty much everything that happens in the show happened in reality; it's all just telescoped into one guy for dramatic purposes. The only truly ridiculous thing I've seen so far is Richie immediately tweaking to both proto-punk and DJ Herc in the same episode, but that's just Don (er, Richie) being a natural genius at his job. Like the King says, "you get it, man."

Also, if Mad Men made infantile 30-something GQ boys of the '00s start acting like adult men again, maybe Vinyl will get kids interested in music that makes you want to break things, again. If people my age aren't a little afraid of the music teenagers are making then they aren't doing it right.
    Last edited by Kepler; 03-30-2016, 12:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
    Being a fan of older music and younger women, this is enough for me.
    Yeah, I mean, where's the downside?

My favorite part of the last episode was the party at the LA music guy's beach house, the sorta "inside baseball" aspect of the music business at the time. Meeting Gram Parsons and him raving about the desert, Stephen Stills and the failure of his band Manassas, the potential CSNY(and CSN, and SY, and NY, and CN and so on and so on) reunions, the joke about getting to the buffet before Mama Cass, etc. Good stuff. Although I did see an actor credited as Jackson Browne, but I must've missed him.

Also, realizing what Elvis could have been if he had followed the blueprint that Richie had laid out for him, and what he currently was and ended up, and that he was dead within three years, kinda eerie in a way.
    Last edited by rufus; 03-30-2016, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

I liked the Alice Cooper storyline, and the Nasty Bits story is ok and the Bowie stuff was cool and I like Richie about half the time but I find him annoying and a waste of space the other half. I feel like they force feed us his inner turmoil to the determent of the other characters and their storylines. Hell we know very little about Ray Romano (except he makes lots of jokes about being Jewish and is always worried about money) and even less about the other partner except that he has deals to hide records all over town. Meanwhile every time Richie sneezes we need a 4 minute scene complete with some musical impersonator and a flashback about how it is parallel or relevant to some other story that happened in the past when Richie was actually way more interesting.

My problem isnt the idea for the show, it is that I feel like it needs less of Richie and more of the changes happening in music and how it effects his label and partners not just him and the crap he shovels up his nose as he destroys everyone in his wake.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Can I ask why? I am trying to like it but it is just ludicrous and seems like an excuse for nudity and old music.
    It is ludicrous, and there is a lot of nudity, but according to people who were in the record business back then, it's pretty much on par with what was happening then. The show might even be a bit more tame than most of what was happening then as some of reality was too far out there for the masses to believe.

For the most part, the show is well acted, and I'm not bored during the episodes. Some of things going on were downright funny (the ending to the Alice Cooper storyline, for instance), and some of it's just intense.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Can I ask why? I am trying to like it but it is just ludicrous and seems like an excuse for nudity and old music.
    Now I'm glad I avoided it. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• busterman62
    replied

Being a fan of older music and younger women, this is enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

I'm getting more than that. I enjoy the characters, particularly Richie. Some of the portrayals have been excellent: Elvis and the Colonel were exactly how I would imagine them. Alice Cooper was good too.

I think it has potential. Richie's tenuous connection to reality is interesting. The episode with "Rave On" was terrific.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

GOT does that with nudity and blood from what I hear.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Vinyl just keeps getting better.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    The way he went about things was typical Saul. And hysterical. (trying not to leave spoilers here)
    Oh indeed. When he saw the thing, and his mind starts churning...one step closer. It was wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

The way he went about things was typical Saul. And hysterical. (trying not to leave spoilers here)

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Better Call Saul:

Another good setup episode, ALONG with some plot-movement. And those dam cliffhangers! Come on, man!

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied

it just came to me today that Richie's probably going to have to go to the mob boss for a loan to keep his company going.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Vinyl just keeps getting better.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X