This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother, More, Piper, Saucerful and Obscured.

Over the past couple days.

Yeesh – some of that is hard to get through. Not a fan of the Syd era… RIP or the first Gilmour years.

Try the early ones every few years to see if I can find something to like that I've overlooked or never quite warmed to.

Not much.

Fat Old Sun… If… couple others and that's about it, but I've always liked those ones.

Late 60s psychedelic rock, whether Floyd, Grateful Dead, Beatles, Byrds or whatever tends to suck.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 05-03-2017, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Now...

U2 - Boy

Rarely ever listen to studio U2, but this is really incredible to hear.

Hearing things that I'd forgotten are in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother, More, Piper, Saucerful and Obscured.
        I love all of that, in particular Obscured. BTW Obscured was the soundtrack to the eponymous movie. Do not see that movie. That movie is very, very bad.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I love all of that, in particular Obscured. BTW Obscured was the soundtrack to the eponymous movie. Do not see that movie. That movie is very, very bad.

I appreciate it as an exercise that got them to what they would become, but it's all sounds so dated and musically annoying.

Meddle for instance, does not sound dated.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            All that's left is The The.
            Speaking of, Johnny Marr is rejoining for a new album, or tour, or both, I can't recall the exact details. He played with them for five or six years after The Smiths initially broke up.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              I appreciate it as an exercise that got them to what they would become, but it's all sounds so dated and musically annoying.

Meddle for instance, does not sound dated.
              "Echoes" is timeless. It also got me laid a lot in college. For the right type of girl, it's a panty dropper.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm going to pretend that I never read that ^

Comment

I heat what Gurt is saying about some of the older Floyd stuff being dated, but there are enough gems for me that I still listen. I love hearing the underlying talent, influences and directional changes that progress toward their eventual greatness (musical results, not commercial). Still my all time favorite group so I might be slightly biased.
                  Last edited by Slap Shot; 05-03-2017, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I heat what Gurt is saying about some of the older Floyd stuff being dated, but there are enough gems for me that I still listen. I love hearing the underlying talent, influences and directional changes that progress toward their eventual greatness (musical results, not commercial). Still my all time favorite group so I might be slightly biased.

I can't really pick an all time fav, but I have a top 4 and then there's everybody else... and Floyd is solidly in that top four.

Floyd
                    Zeppelin
                    U2
                    Grateful Dead

No order as each is incredibly important to me for different reasons.

Always hoping to add another older Floyd track to a playlist, but I mined that resource a long time ago and nothing's really changed.

Comment

I remember one day, was listening to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and my bro walked in, and asked "What's with the Science Museum Omni Theater sh*?"

So yes, some of it is dated, but overall, it's fantastic.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        "Echoes" is timeless. It also got me laid a lot in college. For the right type of girl, it's a panty dropper.
                        I could see it. If you're the kind of person who finds those nature albums of ambient whale noises sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I could see it. If you're the kind of person who finds those nature albums of ambient whale noises sexy.
                          Well played.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            I remember one day, was listening to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and my bro walked in, and asked "What's with the Science Museum Omni Theater sh*?"

So yes, some of it is dated, but overall, it's fantastic.
                            Shine.. has a bit of that I suppose, but to pigeonhole an immensely expansive track/album into such a narrow description would be quite myopic.

Comment

Shine.. has a bit of that I suppose, but to pigeonhole an immensely expansive track/album into such a narrow description would be quite myopic.

Yeah… I don't think the Wish album sounds "dated" or at least not to the extent late 60s psychedelic stuff does. That musical style just seems so trite and cliché at this point. At least for me. They were all parroting each other and it all sounded the same.

For instance… The Beatles… the album Yellow Submarine sounds dated in a way that Sgt. Pepper's does not. And they came out in the same year if memory serves.

If I had never heard either, I could immediately tell you that YS was from the late 60s. SP's would be much harder to nail down.

Plus… that psychedelic music was a means to get to an end. All of the bands that came up in that era, played that style and continued on to become anything worthwhile did their best work afterwards.

Even being a Deadhead, I could never stand the Haight era Dead. It's interesting (somewhat) as a historical matter and that's about it for me.

It was always comical to hear the lazy narrative about modern day Deadheads supposedly reliving or reviving the 60s counterculture. Um… no we weren't. The only thing similar at all was mind expansion. Otherwise we were on the road finding our own adventures enjoying a band that sounded nothing at all like what they did in the 60s in a scene that in no way whatsoever resembled anything from the 60s other than the relics (casualties) here and there that were still hanging around.
                              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 05-04-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

John Prine Anthology

Just what I needed today.

Comment

Working...
                                X