X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

My Record Store Day haul, all on vinyl.

Picked up Vol. 3 of the Complete Big Star's Third. This volume was the finished versions of the album's songs, and came in a cardboard slipcase that you could also keep Vols 1 and 2 in. Found Vol. 2 in the album racks, which was the progression of the songs from rough tracks to mixed versions, and just ordered Vol 1, the demos and rough recordings, from Amazon.

A pretty clean used copy of The Raspberries Fresh, from 1972. Features the single, I Wanna Be With You. My older brother had this when I was a kid, one of the first records I grew up listening to. Power pop doesn't get much better.

A two-line verse, and then straight to the hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSPs-MrGsAw

Another really clean copy of Ricki Lee Jones album The Magazine. A year or so after I graduated, I was living up in Orono with some friends still in school, and The Real End from this record was in heavy rotation on the college station. Always reminds me of that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bL49gdGo4U
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Yesterday was the one-year anniversary of Prince's death. In honor, here's his Super Bowl Halftime show.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Yesterday was the one-year anniversary of Prince's death. In honor, here's his Super Bowl Halftime show.
        I love that radio stations were playing his music on the hour every hour, in general. 89.3 was playing ALL his music, non-stop, some real deep tracks in there. If it was Prince, they were playing it.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Sigur Ros: Takk

Different. Strange trip of a CD.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Harry Chapin: Cats in The Cradle
            Bell Biv DeVoe: Poison
            Erasure: A Little Respect
            Hank Williams: Family Tradition
            Ice Cube: Down For Whatever
            Kenny Rogers: Just Dropped In
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Louie Louie- The Kingsmen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RZJ4ESU52U

I was raised on the oldies station, and I learned that J Edgar Hoover thought this was a Communist song.

Comment

On May 18, a deluxe edition for the soundtrack to the movie Singles will be released. I'm looking forward to it. This will be a two-disc version, and the live performances seen in the movie will be added to that disc along with a few more of the background songs not included in the original soundtrack.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Finally listened to the Mike Watt tour cd, that the Foos opened for. So worth buying. Amazing show. 1995, Chicago.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    On May 18, a deluxe edition for the soundtrack to the movie Singles will be released. I'm looking forward to it. This will be a two-disc version, and the live performances seen in the movie will be added to that disc along with a few more of the background songs not included in the original soundtrack.
                    "Seasons" is arguably Chris Cornell's finest work, solo or with Soundgarden.

There's a hilarious Mudhoney song on there, too - "Overblown". Basically makes the whole thing a farce.

Comment

The Cult: She Sells Sanctuary
                      The Caesars: Jerk It Out
                      The Donnas: Fall Behind Me
                      The Polyphonic Spree: Light And Day

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        There's a hilarious Mudhoney song on there, too - "Overblown". Basically makes the whole thing a farce.
                        If you saw the grunge documentary Hype it's the perfect song.

I'm just glad those guys cashed their checks. Cobain was an self-absorbed fool(or maybe just a boring old junkie) for taking it seriously. Otherwise it was the Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle and god bless everybody who played "this way to the egress."
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Otherwise it was the Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle and god bless everybody who played "this way to the egress."
                          See also: "Beer Money" by the Young Fresh Fellows

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                            The Cult: She Sells Sanctuary
                            The Caesars: Jerk It Out
                            The Donnas: Fall Behind Me
                            The Polyphonic Spree: Light And Day
                            All that's left is The The.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              I see what you did there.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                I've been waiting for I've been waiting for Tomorrow all of my Life all of my life.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X