This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

My musical newsletter would not be that interesting. I'm not that experimental, not that open to new stuff, I'm highly opinionated in that what I like is good, and other stuff sucks, and I'm for the most part, stuck in the 80s.

This made me chuckle.

Comment

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Originally posted by rufus View Post
      My musical newsletter would not be that interesting. I'm not that experimental, not that open to new stuff, I'm highly opinionated in that what I like is good, and other stuff sucks, and I'm for the most part, stuck in the 80's.
      The older I get the more music I like. I'm pretty much accepting of all genres now except post-1970 country, post-Ornette Coleman jazz, and whatever autotuned girl bands are.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        The older I get the more music I like. I'm pretty much accepting of all genres now except post-1970 country, post-Ornette Coleman jazz, and whatever autotuned girl bands are.
        I used to be on top of the music scene, as far as new stuff, even if I didn't like it. Now? Notsomuch. Stuff that is a year or more old is fairly new to me, at best. Some of it is the lack of listening to radio, some of it is because the stuff just doesn't get played on the radio. As far as genres, some outlaw country is making it back into my repertoire, even if the artists aren't new. I just never heard them/listened to the stations that played them (example: in the last couple of years, I've become a huge fan of Church and Hank III).
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Ray LaMontagne - Ouroboros

New direction for Ray. I've heard people say that he's gone in a Floydian direction with this. It's spacey and atmospheric, but it's kinda one-note to me and awfully mellow.

Now listening to Ice Cube - Amerikkka's Most Wanted

Quite the contrast in albums this morning and Cube was just what I needed to wake me up from LaMontagne's snoozer.
          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 04-19-2016, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Iron & Wine: The Shepherd's Dog

One of the most depressing albums...
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
              Iron & Wine: The Shepherd's Dog

One of the most depressing albums...
              The Mowglis: Kids in Love

Polar opposite of depressing

Comment

P.M. Dawn - The Bliss Album

Definitely not depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  I used to be on top of the music scene, as far as new stuff
                  If kids are making music that you and I would like, they're doing it wrong.

The new should always be reviled by the old. We each have our role in this play.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The new should always be reviled by the old. We each have our role in this play.
                    Oompf dat. So long as there's new music being released, there's experimentation with new styles or even simple twists on old styles. True artists (not the reproductions trying to hitch their wagons) are as varied as you can imagine, and some of them will stumble across new genres that will hit a spot with older generations, so long as the physically addled are not simply crotchety curmudgeons for sake of being crotchety curmudgeons.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      P.M. Dawn - The Bliss Album

Definitely not depressing.
                      Cloud Cult: Love

This is not depressing.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Yeah... there's plenty of new stuff that I like.

Comment

Yeah, but it should be reviled for a reason, not because it's wimpy and lame. One of my Facebook friends is a former DJ from WFNX in Boston, was part of the best morning show evah. Course, he was the lamest part of that morning show. He's now at some IheartRadio station in Richmond, VA, and whenever he posts a link to a band that's playing that night, or stopped by the studio, I'm like, meh. When did "alternative" rock get so mellow and dainty, and so utterly lacking in any sort of balls. Everybody sounds like The Killers, but even less rocking, and less melodic. It's all so mid-tempo, and nondescript, and dull. What happened to rock?
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

What happened to rock?
                            What happened to rock?

Hip hop happened to rock.

My kid's a junior in HS right now and listens to music all the time. Roughly 90% of what he chooses to listen to is hip hop or rap.

He's reasonably popular and a lot of kids (boys & girls) stop by the house to hang out. They ALL listen to the same stuff and I have yet to pick out that cool aloof alternative kid with a Misfits patch on his jacket who is into the latest underground cool stuff. That kid doesn't exist as far as I can tell.

This carries over to his sports teams too as all you hear from the locker room is the latest hip hop songs.

In addition, several of his teammates are recording their own stuff - and it ain't too bad. They're not picking up guitars and forming a band... they're recording tracks in their basements on a computer.

There's also kids in the city who are putting out EPs that sound really professional. I'm surprised at how good it is and then my kid will tell me that so and so is a senior at West. I be all like, "DAYUM!!"

Hip hop is this generation's soundtrack - or at least appears to be from the small sample size that I'm around.

To your point of everything that's called alternative these days being soft, I agree. My wife listens to a lot of that crap as do all kinds of 30-50 somethings across the country. I call it adult contemporary - and maybe that's the actual term. I guess it's a way for aging folks to still feel as though they're listening to something cool.

I hate most of it coz like you, I need more of an edge to (most of) my music.

It's out there. I just have to look harder to find it these days and it's fewer and further between.

Hopefully a correction is coming. Music usually corrects itself and we're overdue.
                            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 04-19-2016, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              Hopefully a correction is coming. Music usually corrects itself and we're overdue.
                              I've said that before myself, but I think those days are over now. Back when the "trend cycles" ruled the roost, it was because the record companies had a monopoly on distribution and could force whatever down people's throats until they were sick of it and demanded something new.

Today, thanks to the Internet and digital recording, there's no true underground or insular scenes for "a sound" to develop anymore. There's a niche available for everyone who runs a search, and people can stay in their little silos. There's no more going over to friend's houses to listen to new albums, no more trading mix tapes, etc. Worst of all, grade school music programs keep getting cut back, so the number of kids bothering to pick up an instrument, ANY instrument, has declined.

Comment

Yeah, but it should be reviled for a reason, not because it's wimpy and lame. One of my Facebook friends is a former DJ from WFNX in Boston, was part of the best morning show evah. Course, he was the lamest part of that morning show. He's now at some IheartRadio station in Richmond, VA, and whenever he posts a link to a band that's playing that night, or stopped by the studio, I'm like, meh. When did "alternative" rock get so mellow and dainty, and so utterly lacking in any sort of balls. Everybody sounds like The Killers, but even less rocking, and less melodic. It's all so mid-tempo, and nondescript, and dull. What happened to rock?
                                There are two alt rock stations in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area now, unless one of them changed formats yet again. At any rate, the two stations sound completely different at times, depending upon who's the DJ. Thankfully, both stations have the sense to mix in older stuff with the newer songs being released. I'd say that of the new stuff, it's about 50% junk, 25% not to my taste, and the remaining 25% I like, and only a small portion of that I'm willing to spend money to support.

Also, a lot of what we considered alt rock back in the day has just been transferred to the rock genre. 93X used to be the station where you'd listen strictly to hard rock music in this market, but the ownership group changed that, making it just a rock station now. So you'll hear the occasional Beck, Weezer, The Killers, and so on. Alt rock has basically just become what indie rock once was, and the good stuff is few and far between.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X