X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

for reasons unknown I really wanted to hear some hair metal tonight

Rock of Ages or Photograph by Def Leppard. I used to own the vinyl but I lost it sometime during my last couple of moves. Went to itunes...no dice. Evidently Pyromania is not on itunes for whatever reason.

So...I'm settling for a couple of tunes by Faster Pussycat and just imagining the decadence of the L.A. scene circa 1986-88...
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      for reasons unknown I really wanted to hear some hair metal tonight

Rock of Ages or Photograph by Def Leppard. I used to own the vinyl but I lost it sometime during my last couple of moves. Went to itunes...no dice. Evidently Pyromania is not on itunes for whatever reason.

So...I'm settling for a couple of tunes by Faster Pussycat and just imagining the decadence of the L.A. scene circa 1986-88...
      I have little shame in listening to the hair farmers anymore. I enjoy it for the cheese-fest that it is.

You could do a lot worse than Faster Pussycat - ever hear "Mr. Lovedog"? Taime Downe's tribute to Andrew Wood.

Comment

Faster Pussycat and White Lion are better than they should be/are given credit for. I say that with no shame.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Currently Alice Cooper for me. "Hallowed Be My Name" is brilliantly catchy.

Earlier I rolled through a couple Alter Bridge albums. Best band of the last decade for me, and they've gotten better with each release.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            Faster Pussycat and White Lion are better than they should be/are given credit for. I say that with no shame.
            Lol

No they're not.

Comment

White Lion, no. They always sucked.

Faster Pussycat, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                White Lion, no. They always sucked.

Faster Pussycat, maybe.

This. White Lion was ****ing godawful.

Wait... Wait... I never had a chance...

Always ****ing hated them and I liked some metal from that era.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  I have little shame in listening to the hair farmers anymore. I enjoy it for the cheese-fest that it is.

You could do a lot worse than Faster Pussycat - ever hear "Mr. Lovedog"? Taime Downe's tribute to Andrew Wood.
                  Never heard of that project, I'll look it up, thanks!
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I put in Night Ranger and Aldo Nova every once in a while for a guilty pleasure. But on the whole the genre sucked balls.

Comment

Dam hubby got "Lazy" by Deep Purple stuck in my head.
                      Originally posted by Skeeterman
                      Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                      "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

On a predictable 90s hip-hop kick after watching SOC over the weekend.

Warren G - Regulate... The G Funk Era (right now)

Dr. Dre - The Chronic 2001

MC Ren - Kizz My Black Azz

Eazy E - Eazy-Duz-It

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang

The Wash Soundtrack

N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton

In and amongst those, I listened to several Phish and Grateful Dead shows while on the deck or working in the yard.

Also did some Marley and The Movement and Lefty at the Washout.

I'm nothing if not all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          This'll be waiting for you at the end of More Songs About......................

My local radio station played this last week, and it just reminded me why I love Talking Heads so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dErdvJrv8JE

And you really should give this a listen. If you're not a fan of dance, then you don't have to watch it, but the score is terrific.

The Catherine Wheel, score by David Byrne. My favorite track from it is probably Dense Beasts, Brian Eno on bass. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L83KTSOFNM
                          I would subscribe to your musical newsletter.

I've been on a Carol King binge lately. Not her performing (she is ghastly) but her and Gerry Goffin's music done by others. She wrote half the great song of the 60s, including the best song about teen sex from the girl's POV, the best song about being young in New York City, and the worst song about domestic violence. (From the Comments: "This song makes Trent Reznor's lyrics seem healthy.")

Speaking of teen sex from the girl's POV, I heard this recently and preferred it to the original. (Though the latter is still brilliant.)
                          Last edited by Kepler; 04-18-2016, 01:21 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

She wrote Up On The Roof? My lord, I'm shocked.

My musical newsletter would not be that interesting. I'm not that experimental, not that open to new stuff, I'm highly opinionated in that what I like is good, and other stuff sucks, and I'm for the most part, stuck in the 80's.

And if you don't like The Replacements, you're dead to me. And on that note.............................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5e6A_EozH0

That's how you start off a record.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              She wrote Up On The Roof? My lord, I'm shocked.
                              King and Goffin wrote pretty much everything.

I'm OK with The Replacements. I'm not in the cult, but I don't dislike them.

I'm not sure I have a "like or you're dead to me" test. Maybe Gang of Four.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 04-18-2016, 02:10 PM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Cross-post from the movies thread.

Color Me Obsessed.

So Saturday was Record Store Day, and though I couldn't really afford to spend some cash, I wanted to at least check out the scene. So I headed down to the big city(Portsmouth, NH) to Bullmoose Records, whose owner is the guy who started Record Store Day. And yeah, I was good, I held back from spending money I don't have. Until I hit the music dvd section. And since with my Bullmoose card, I could get it for half-price, it was mine.

A documentary on The Replacements, my favorite band, and as one of those interviewed says, the best band in the world. No music, no pictures of the band, no clips of them performing, just people who were there at the time sharing stories about the band and what they meant to them. Simply AMAZING documentary, of the band, of that point in time, of the Minn-St. Paul music scene. I say again, just amazing. I've gone through 3+ hours of stuff, and have still to watch the bonus features or listen to the audio commentary.

Now it got me right away, as the opening credits scene uses a flyer from the late great Boston club The Channel, which just coincidentally enough, is the place I first saw The Replacements back in 1986. There''s also a ticket stub from Boston's Opera House, where I saw them on the Don't Tell a Soul tour. And an interview with members of the Boston band The Bristols, who I saw open for Joan Jett, and loved

I cannot say enough how much I loved this film. If you're a Replacements fan, or even an early 80's music scene fan, a must see.
                                Last edited by rufus; 04-18-2016, 06:06 PM.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X