This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I was in junior high when I first heard Hootenanny and then picked up Sorry Ma.. and Stink on vinyl from the Electric Fetus. I was lucky enough to have heard them early and saw them, Husker, Violent Femmes, and R.E.M. and of course local stuff like Suburbs, Flaming Ohs, Urban Guerillas, The Time, (among so many others) very early in their careers. 7th St./1st Ave. used to give out comp tickets back then on your way in/out the door - sometimes for 3 or 4 shows at a time. 2 or 3 might be crap, 1 might be a gem that you'd never heard of before (Tina and the B-Sides and Reverend Horton Heat come to mind), and every once in a while you got one you couldn't believe they gave away (The Dandy Warhols for instance) because you had already discovered them before they got big. That was also the early era of The Cure, Echo, The Church, English Beat, Julian Cope, XTC...

My parents for some reason would allow us to go to all ages shows as early as 8th grade and I never really stopped until my first son was born at the age of 35. The Fine Line, Cabooze, The Joint, CC-Club, The Uptown, Liquor Lyles, ****** now I'm feeling old...

Speaking of which I am suddenly reminded of The The: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMWzYip6R30
    Wow, you've seen some amazing bands and at the height of their power too. I wish I'd have seen Husker Du, R.E.M, and English Beat.

I've heard of most of the clubs you mention but I've only been to 1st Ave/7th Street Entry. I used to drive up to mpls for shows at 1st ave: swervedriver, pj Harvey and more.

I haven't heard The The. That's another band I missed along with Echo And The Bunnymen.

i have some homework to do
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

I consider myself lucky to have been around at that time period. Never went to many shows until I got to college, and then being out in the wilds of Maine, never saw too many of these up and coming bands in clubs, let alone the small local bands that never really made it big. But I got out of college in 1983, and saw a ton of bands from that period on, my peak expendable cash years.

Saw REM 8 times, saw The Replacements six, with the 7th being these past reunion shows. Saw Echo, saw The The, saw the Hoodoo Gurus, Elvis Costello, The Alarm, Camper Van Beethoven, Violent Femmes, New Order, The Smiths, many others, all at the height of their creativity.

It was a great time to be a music fan.
      Last edited by rufus; 03-12-2016, 08:37 AM.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

The The are one of those bands that no one's heard of, but should have been more popular than they were. This is from one of their later albums, but always one of my favorites. When the chorus kicks in, it's just ...............................<3

"Here come the blue skies...................."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiK-mmr7n4g
        Last edited by rufus; 03-12-2016, 08:36 AM.

Comment

That's the beauty of this age of technology in that it's so easy to dig in and listen to artists you've never heard at all or barely know. Iheart radio and "artists like.." from Google make it very easy to expand. Heck the local library system in Mpls allowed me to really dig into the blues and trip hop in ways I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. The beautiful byproduct is my kids are extremely enamored with music, because of it we've ensured they both can play the violin and piano and their own downloads include Pink Floyd, 3 Days Grace, Foo Fighters, Offspring, the Beatles, Linkin Park, etc some from my catalog and some on their own. If I knew at 13 what I know now I would have pursued music instead of just being a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            I consider myself lucky to have been around at that time period. Never went to many shows until I got to college, and then being out in the wilds of Maine, never saw too many of these up and coming bands in clubs, let alone the small local bands that never really made it big. But I got out of college in 1983, and saw a ton of bands from that period on, my peak expendable cash years.

Saw REM 8 times, saw The Replacements six, with the 7th being these past reunion shows. Saw Echo, saw The The, saw the Hoodoo Gurus, Elvis Costello, The Alarm, Camper Van Beethoven, Violent Femmes, New Order, The Smiths, many others, all at the height of their creativity.

It was a great time to be a music fan.
            that's an incredible list of bands/shows...gd.

I'm listening to that song you posted by The The, is this generally representative of their oeuvre? This is pretty **** good

I graduated HS in 90 so while I became aware of the Husker Du, The Replacements, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, 7 Seconds, die kreuzen et al in HS, I was drawn to the heavier bands at that time so I didn't "get" some of these bands upon first listen when I was listening to a steady diet of thrash and weird prog stuff.

I'm kicking myself for that. 80% of the music I listened to in HS I don't listen to now except every now and then out of nostalgia. The first 4 Metallica LP's are still great, and Slayer is like a thrash version of AC/DC or something, you always know what you're going to get, Megadeth has 2 great LP's but most of the rest of the bands in that arena I just can't listen to anymore. Anthrax? nope. Testament? Not really.

anyway, thanks for sharing your memories guys, keep em coming, great stuff!

I have a few of my own re: seeing bands before they blew up that I'll post sometime later...
            Last edited by solovsfett; 03-12-2016, 09:31 PM.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Did see the Rev Horton before they broke, at 1st Ave. Also, the Foos on their first tour, also at 1st (they OPENED for Mike Watt). I was an early 90s graduate, so about the same age as many on here. For non-big time names (ex: Metallica, etc) before they got huge (if they ever did): Bad Religion, Rancid, Smashing Pumpkins. Brother Ali went to the same high school I did, and saw his talent during lunch breaks. Real quiet kid at the time.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                I'm listening to that song you posted by The The, is this generally representative of their oeuvre? This is pretty **** good
                Not really, and they're hard to pigeonhole. Been a while since I listened to any of their albums, so my memory may be off a bit here. It's basically that one guy, Matt Johnson, who released an album called Burning Blue Soul, which I own, but not sure if I've ever listened to it. The he released Soul Mining under The The moniker, which was sorta a synth/dancy/funk thing. Happy upbeat tunes with really dark and bitter lyrics. Infected turned that up a notch into a harder synth thing, I can't really describe it, just heavy rhythmic stuff. On Mind Bomb, Johnny Marr contributed on guitar, so it was a more pop-ish, guitar sounding thing. Then Dusk, which is where that song came from, which was sorta dark and organic, less synth heavy. And then he did an album called Hanky Panky, which was covers of Hank Williams songs.

So I dunno. He's synth heavy and happy sounding, but then spare and acoustic and dark. Then he's synth heavy and dark and heavy, and then guitar based and light. All over the map really, he does whatever he feels like.

This was his first big single, which made me a fan immediately. Jools Holland on the piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz50N2_tCCg
                Last edited by rufus; 03-12-2016, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Did see the Rev Horton before they broke, at 1st Ave. Also, the Foos on their first tour, also at 1st (they OPENED for Mike Watt). I was an early 90s graduate, so about the same age as many on here. For non-big time names (ex: Metallica, etc) before they got huge (if they ever did): Bad Religion, Rancid, Smashing Pumpkins. Brother Ali went to the same high school I did, and saw his talent during lunch breaks. Real quiet kid at the time.
                  I would have loved to have seen that FF show and Mike Watt is great as well!

The shows I recall where I saw bands before they broke were: the White Stripes 2 or 3x at Cactus Club in Milwaukee, the first time their were maybe 20 people there!
                  Faith No More and Soundgarden opening for Voivod before they both took off on mtv. That was early 89.
                  Smashing pumpkins acoustic in 90ish on tour for Gish.

Then pearl jam opening a show for the chili peppers with smashing pumpkins in the middle. It was preblood sugar sex magic rhcp.

Finally, I saw Soul Asylum 2-3 times at Marquette before grave dancers Union came out

Did anyone here see the police or the clash in late 70's or early 80's? Two of my all-time favs

Comment

Saw The Police in what, 1982(?) Ghost in the Machine tour. OK show, nothing really special. The one thing I remember is they came on to the stage with the music to Voices in my Head playing, and the bass line to that practically shook the building. Really don't remember much about the show, can't even tell you what songs they played. I'm sure I enjoyed it at the time though. I can say I was more impressed with the opener, Black Uhuru.

Did see The Clash too, but it was The Clash after Joe and Paul kicked Mick Jones out of the band. Still it was a great show, as they sort of what back to the short fast punk songs of their early career, so it really rocked. Joe had the orange mohawk, and sang much of the time with three fingers of his hand splayed out against the side of his head. That would have been what, '85-86?

I was so gonna do what I had to to go see them at the Bonds shows in New York, but then they got cancelled for over-booking the place, and rescheduled, and I never heard what the new dates were gonna be. Pre-internet days, when news of bands touring was harder to come by, especially if you lived out in the sticks.
                    Last edited by rufus; 03-14-2016, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      Saw The Police in what, 1982(?) Ghost in the Machine tour. OK show, nothing really special. The one thing I remember is they came on to the stage with the music to Voices in my Head playing, and the bass line to that practically shook the building. Really don't remember much about the show, can't even tell you what songs they played. I'm sure I enjoyed it at the time though. I can say I was more impressed with the opener, Black Uhuru.

Did see The Clash too, but it was The Clash after Joe and Paul kicked Mick Jones out of the band. Still it was a great show, as they sort of what back to the short fast punk songs of their early career, so it really rocked. Joe had the orange mohawk, and sang much of the time with three fingers of his hand splayed out against the side of his head. That would have been what, '85-86?

I was so gonna do what I had to to go see them at the Bonds shows in New York, but then they got cancelled for over-booking the place, and rescheduled, and I never heard what the new dates were gonna be. Pre-internet days, when news of bands touring was harder to come by, especially if you lived out in the sticks.
                      That's awesome re The Clash playing a more straightforward set that night.

That was a bucket list wish for me to see them reunite and when Joe passed I think was despondent for a couple of months.

I can see The Police being less memorable. As much as I love their records from what I can tell via the stuff on YouTube they were as hit or miss live as Sonic Youth was later

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        I would have loved to have seen that FF show and Mike Watt is great as well!

The shows I recall where I saw bands before they broke were: the White Stripes 2 or 3x at Cactus Club in Milwaukee, the first time their were maybe 20 people there!
                        Faith No More and Soundgarden opening for Voivod before they both took off on mtv. That was early 89.
                        Smashing pumpkins acoustic in 90ish on tour for Gish.

Then pearl jam opening a show for the chili peppers with smashing pumpkins in the middle. It was preblood sugar sex magic rhcp.

Finally, I saw Soul Asylum 2-3 times at Marquette before grave dancers Union came out

Did anyone here see the police or the clash in late 70's or early 80's? Two of my all-time favs
                        Paid $6 for the Foos/Watt ticket, and Eddie Vedder was the first act. IIRC, he was playing drums, his wife was playing guitar, and 2 other unknown musicians rounded out the band. They played weird instrumental ambiance music. The EV band was called "Hovercraft" and it was a badly kept secret that EV was playing.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Brian Johnson is out as lead singer with AC/DC.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Just heard this for the first time. Loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLX-04w9T6I
                            A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Roger Waters - The Wall Live

9/20/10

The one I attended. Finally bothered to find a recording.

Very nice.

Probably should have caught this more than once...

Got Roger's blu ray of this tour for x-mas. Gotta get a blu ray player at some point.

Comment

Gilmour to play Pompeii this summer - the same actual amphitheater where the Floyd concert movie was shot. This time with an audience though.

Additional rumors call for filming, a theatrical release and a blu ray.

" Forty-five years after Pink Floyd appeared there, to film Live At Pompeii, David will be back at the preserved town, which was buried under ash for over 1,600 years after Vesuvius erupted in A.D.79.

The stone amphitheatre - the earliest known to have been built from stone - was built around 80 B.C. to hold gladiator fights, and around a century later, Rome's Colosseum was built. It should be a wonderful place to see David's show, and the pair of dates will be the first attended rock concerts to ever take place in the location.

David said: "I want to thank the Ministry of Culture for giving me the opportunity to once again play this beautiful and historic venue. Performing there in 1971 was very special and I'm looking forward to returning and hopefully creating some more memorable moments made even more special by playing to an audience."

Dario Franceschini, Minister of Cultural Heritage and Tourism said: "45 years after the legendary 'Live at Pompeii' David Gilmour will be back performing in a unique, fascinating, beautiful scenario. The myth of Pink Floyd will come back to life with him in Pompeii. It will be a show that can't be missed."

Prof. Massimo Osanna, superintendent of Pompeii, said: "The return of David Gilmour to Pompeii is an extraordinary event that the Superintendence and the Heritage Ministry have strongly wanted. Pompeii is now experiencing a real rebirth and is ready to welcome this amazing artist who, together with his band, made the music history of this century and at the same time left a deep mark on the history of the Pompeii site with his memorable show behind closed doors in 1971. Once again the Amphitheatre will be a privileged set for this show and we are sure that as happened in 1971 it will generate the same magical atmosphere and the same big emotions that only the unique combination of a place with no time like Pompeii with marvelous music can create. It is really an extraordinary opportunity which comes from the past and writes in the present a chapter of 'music history inside history'."

Tickets for the concerts - which start at 9pm each evening - go on sale on Tuesday, (March 22nd) at 13:00hrs CET from www.DavidGilmour.com . In efforts clearly designed to stop the ticket touts, there are some important ticketing restrictions in place.

Tickets are limited to a maximum of two per person for one show only (not both) and are priced at €300 each plus 15% booking fee. The purchaser will get a receipt with his or her name on it, and must present this to the box office on site, with photographic ID and the card used to purchase the ticket(s). If two tickets have been bought, the additional person must also be present. Each ticket holder will then be presented with a ticket and a wristband, and both must be shown to security to enter the site (the wristband must be worn at the time). "

Comment

Working...
                                X