X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Regarding Taylor Swift or any other popular artist that snobbish types like to rip on...

She's incredibly talented and good at what she does. Probably the best in the world right now at what she does.
    Swift reminds me of Linda Ronstadt. Through the midpoint of her career, Ronstadt's catalog was garbage -- she was on the pop fluff track and her material was about as interesting as Barry Manilow. She was an amazing talent and a consummate professional, but you couldn't tell because of the seven layers of goo her genre buried her under. And then she started doing music she liked, and holy crap is she powerful and subtle and fascinating.

If Swift ever starts creating actual music, she may be great. Right now she's still in the diaper phase, but that in itself is not a DQ, and of course it will give her the millions she needs to be free to do whatever she wants.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-17-2016, 11:24 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

If Swift ever starts creating actual music, she may be great. Right now she's still in the diaper phase, but that in itself is not a DQ, and of course it will give her the millions she needs to be free to do whatever she wants.

You know she writes her own songs and all that...

She's had those millions (upon millions) she would need for many years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        You know she writes her own songs and all that...

She's had those millions (upon millions) she would need for many years now.
        I'm giving her all the credit I can, man...

She may have a million dollar arm and a five cent head.

But she's got that rat-faced look and gosh darn I like it, so I'll stand by her. With noise-canceling headphones.
        Last edited by Kepler; 02-17-2016, 11:37 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

But she's got that rat-faced look and gosh darn I like it, so I'll stand by her. With noise-canceling headphones.
          goddamit. That Swift/Gadget side-by-side was fantastic.

Though, I have to say she grew up:
          http://specials-images.forbesimg.com...kground=000000
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            goddamit. That Swift/Gadget side-by-side was fantastic.

Though, I have to say she grew up:
            http://specials-images.forbesimg.com...kground=000000
            Yeah, she's 26yo now. People still think of her as a young teenager, but it's not quite like that anymore.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Yeah, she's 26yo now. People still think of her as a young teenager, but it's not quite like that anymore.
              26? YES! Half plus seven still works.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                26? YES! Half plus seven still works.
                She's right on the cusp for me. There might be other limitations on whether or not that could or would ever happen, though.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by st. Clown View Post
                  she's right on the cusp for me. There might be other limitations on whether or not that could or would ever happen, though.
                  say you'll remember me
                  standing in a nice dress,
                  staring at the sunset, babe
                  red lips and rosy cheeks
                  say you'll see me again
                  even if it's just in your
                  wildest dreams

a
                  Code:

Comment

I'm really digging the new Kendrick Lamar lp. This is easily my favorite hip hop album of the past 20 years.

And finally my local record store called to say Bowie's Blackstar is back in stock. I can't wait to get into this one this weekend
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Corrosion of Conformity: "King of The Rotten"
                      Dream Theater: "Metropolis, Pt. 1 The Miracle and the Sleeper"

And others on a heavy metal compilation that a friend gave me.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Dammit. I'm never getting that TSwift/Gadget image out of my head...
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Cube's "Death Certificate" album. So great from start to finish.

Dude can slam the rhymes.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

To continue the gangsta rap kick:

Eazy E's "Eazy Duz It."

There is a certain verse that is probably one of the more famous verses in rap history, from "Nobody Move." EVERYONE knew that verse back in the day. Listen to the song, and I bet you'll know which verse I'm talking about.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              To continue the gangsta rap kick:

Eazy E's "Eazy Duz It."

There is a certain verse that is probably one of the more famous verses in rap history, from "Nobody Move." EVERYONE knew that verse back in the day. Listen to the song, and I bet you'll know which verse I'm talking about.
                              Always remember "Eazy-Er Said Than Dunn" from GTA San Andreas.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Listened to the following this weekend up in the UP...all nostalgia picks (sorry kids)

Voivod - Angel Rat
                                Radiohead - ok computer
                                Soul Asylum - while you were out
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X