X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    When I was a kid, we had 104.3 WOMC - they played late 50s to early 70s, until about 2007 or so. Then they switched to a mostly 70s/early 80s "Classic Hits" format. As far as I can tell, this is now considered the "golden oldies" format and no one plays true golden oldies anymore.
    "Golden Oldies" is a term that will always be subjective and related to the age of the people who are on the cusp of retiring because the people older than them are starting lay flatter and dustier in their graves. It's tough to get ratings when your core audience is dead.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      "Golden Oldies" is a term that will always be subjective and related to the age of the people who are on the cusp of retiring because the people older than them are starting lay flatter and dustier in their graves. It's tough to get ratings when your core audience is dead.
      Probably. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Comment

We know this, but given music terms, "Golden Oldies" is specifically the 50s/60s style, etc.

Doesn't make the loss less tragic. When I'm in my 80s....the oldies will be stuff I haven't even heard yet, because it's yet to come. How messed up is that?
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

It's a night of Detroit connections:

Love it to Death - Alice Cooper
          Fortress - Alter Bridge
          Kick Out the Jams - MC5
          Raw Power - Iggy & The Stooges
          Cat Scratch Fever - Ted Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Kick Out the Jams - MC5
            Raw Power - Iggy & The Stooges
            Love.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

My brother's MIL is in her 60s, not sure of her exact age, but she was talking about how she's walking around, jamming to Jimi Hendrix and the Beatles' more psychedelic albums on her iPhone. She's a fun lady with good taste in music.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              My mom is now in her late 60s, and likes AC/DC, GNR, and some Metallica. She appreciates Wu Tang's talent, but she says it is not her style. Really likes Prince's older stuff.
              MIL is a Pearl Jam fan (no surprise) and a Queensryche fan.

My mom likes the Barenaked Ladies.

Comment

Love.
                Yeah, those two albums will always be classics. Especially Kick Out the Jams, "Brothas and sistas, I want you to testify, are you ready to testify?!! I give you a testament! A testimonial! The M Ceee Fiiivvve!!!!!!" (*boom*).

The Cooper album is the newest in my collection, and is considered a cornerstone for him/them (it was released when they were still a band, and not just the stage name of Vincent Damon Furnier). It has their first big single "I'm Eighteen", but the rest of the record is pretty good as well.

Comment

related, due to shock factor of those songs...."Rock'n'roll N*" by Patti Smith...now we're really talking in your face punk/etc.

Comment

Punk is deader than dead

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                      MIL is a Pearl Jam fan (no surprise) and a Queensryche fan.

My mom likes the Barenaked Ladies.
                      Surprisingly, my dad likes Amy Winehouse and Florence + The Machine. So he's not totally hopeless...
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Also a peeve of mine: no stations play what we call "oldies" (Elvis, Beach Boys, Buddy Holly, etc). One station held out until a couple years ago, now they are like your standard classic rock station. It sucks.
                        I miss this, too. The only station in Milwaukee changed their format a little bit, so they play some 70s stuff too. Not a fan. I need my Connie Francis, Lesley Gore, Four Seasons and Ricky Nelson fix (and not that Garden Party ****).

First concert I ever saw was Ricky Nelson - he came to my hometown (it was their centennial celebration or something). He played right before the BoDeans (but we didn't stay to see them, of course).
                        Last edited by jen; 01-10-2016, 07:10 PM.

Comment

If any of you haven't seen this video for Blackstar, give it a look. Make sure to grab some headphones and be rid of distractions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kszLwBaC4Sw

I've watched it 3 times and it's bizarre, different than anything I've ever seen, creepy, poignant, artsy, beautiful...

Brilliant.

It's David Bowie.

I can't claim to have ever been a huge fan and I won't now.

But I've always had most of his stuff and have been a dabbler over these many years. Always respected him (other than that Mick Jagger duet ) and his place in rock music's history.

Grabbed the new album this morning and have a fire going in the den.

Time for a listen.

RIP
                          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 01-11-2016, 03:14 PM.

Comment

In terms of R.E.M, I decided to start with Green, and then go from there. I also decided to add Outkast's Speakerboxx/The Love Below and Stankonia to said Amazon order.

As for today, I've got Cake's Prolonging The Magic and Fashion Nugget playing.
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Ain't nobody dope as me...

Listened to a lot of Stankonia back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                Ain't nobody dope as me...

Listened to a lot of Stankonia back in the day.
                                Sorry Miss Jackson, I am for real...

I needed something different to listen to.

Comment

Working...
                                X