This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2015-16: The Big Ten Rises

The Rose Bowl parade was one of the reasons I wanted to go to USC back when I was high school. Going to the game was always kind of a bucket list thing for me and I got to go on January 2005 when Michigan played Texas. Michigan's alumni association was my client at the time and I got tickets thru them.

I gave myself a budget for airfare and flew to LA with my brother and stayed with him. Had to make sure I got back to Boston Jan 2 as that was the closing of Walter Brown Arena/opening of Agganis Arena so I booked the red eye New Year's night. Went to the game with one of my brother's friends. We drove to Pasadena and actually found a spot on the street to park. We walked over to where the shuttle buses were, saw the line and decided to walk. Left the game with 5 minutes to go to beat the crowd as I had to drop him off and drive to LAX. Missed three scores. Michigan was leading when we left but Texas was driving down the field. They scored as we were walking out. On the shuttle bus, we heard that Michigan scored. Walking back to the car, we walked by a bar that had the game on and saw Texas kick a FG to win. Fun times. So glad I went.
    Last edited by Scarlet; 12-11-2015, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Word on the street is that the gopher boosters want Pete Najarian (options trader from Wall Street and former player) to be the new Minnesota AD.
      What? That lousy, no good son of a prominent physician?

Well, he was a fine linebacker. And IIRC, he's reasonably articulate, and a good leader. But does he have any experience in Athletics Administration whatsoever?

People can surprise you, but my first thought is that your skepticism is warranted.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Had to make sure I got back to Boston Jan 2 as that was the closing of Walter Brown Arena/opening of Agganis Arena so I booked the red eye New Year's night.
        I suspect you were the only person to attend both those events. If not, there's one helluva story in it.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Greg Schiano replacing Ash as DC @ Ohio State
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            What? That lousy, no good son of a prominent physician?

Well, he was a fine linebacker. And IIRC, he's reasonably articulate, and a good leader. But does he have any experience in Athletics Administration whatsoever?

People can surprise you, but my first thought is that your skepticism is warranted.
            Rather than retype, I'll copy my GPL posts
            Originally posted by dxmnkd316
            Abso-effing-lutely not.
            If they give najarian the job, I'm dropping all of my tickets. It would prove to me they are wasting my money.

Maybe I'll dial that back and say is likely drop my tickets.
            Further, I imagine he's a booster so handing the reins over to a booster with seemingly no experience at any position of power at any school seems foolhardy given the resume Goetz brings to the table.

I don't want a(n assumed) booster to run the athletics department. Especially one who has had a business relationship with the athletics department in the past.

If the majority of the boosters want him, I seriously question either the sources or what he's done to earn their confidence.

Oh, and I think he's a former player. So he's got that going for him.
            I don't want a Wall Street hedge fund manager or options trader running a public school's athletic department. We would almost certainly see the department run like a business instead of a department at a public school. We'd see more of the ticket hikes just like Michigan saw.

I just want to see SOME experience running an athletic department becuase it's not the same as running a business. I also want to see what their management style is in a truly public sphere.

If they wan to bring him on as a fundraiser, I would strongly support that.
            Then we go without. You don't let the inmates run the asylum.

If he wants it that bad, he needs to start getting some experience in college athletics administration as a fundraiser or something low level where he can be effective, then maybe move to a higher position like director of football operations, then associate/deputy/whatever AD, and then maybe as AD.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Just remember, dx, this is the same school that hired Brewster. You never know what kind of crazy **** they're going to pull when hiring new personnel.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Just remember, dx, this is the same school that hired Brewster. You never know what kind of crazy **** they're going to pull when hiring new personnel.
                Up until Kill had to resign, I looked at the Brewster era paving the way for us to get Kill. Which was a good thing. Ad astra per aspera and whatnot.

Now, who knows?

But I don't think they're going to screw up. The president and regents are making the hire. They tend to be slightly more conservative in their hires compared to an AD who needs to shake it up every so often.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

After a busy Sunday getting back from Indy, and a busy week I was finally able to update the Pairwise.

Final 2015 Pairwise

1. MSU
                  2. Clemson
                  3. Bama
                  4. ND

5. Oklahoma
                  6. OSU

My fears of Iowa not dropping enough were unfounded. Their SOS only rose about 15. Still a great rise but not as much as I thought it would be. Unfortunately, I was not able to match the Top 4 teams for the second year in a row, due to what was an anomaly in ND's scheduling, specifically out of the American conference. Historically terrible Temple had an incredible year, and Navy went back to their Roger Staubach roots this year, nearly taking home a conference title. They also played three conference championship representatives.

Oklahoma didn't necessarily have a bad schedule. Their OOC included 7-5 Akron, 6-6 Tulsa, and a 8-4 Tennessee on the road, but when it comes down to it, you just can't lose to Texas when you have Kansas on your schedule.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Derrick Henry's stats are similar to a bunch of guys who never finished above 4th: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CV4fHJGUsAAz4Js.jpg

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                      Derrick Henry's stats are similar to a bunch of guys who never finished above 4th: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CV4fHJGUsAAz4Js.jpg
                      Yeah, but I'd bet he's taking home the hardware tomorrow evening.
                      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Edit: Nevermind, guess the board is back to not locking things after 1000.

Go Navy! Beat Army!
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                        X