This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Buckeyes spend more money? Have you seen how well Iowa travels? The only teams in the Big Ten that travel better are Wisconsin and Nebraska.

Iowa has to be a lock given they haven't been to the rose bowl in a while. The Big Ten does use that as a factor to boost teams.
    There were 40,000 Iowa fans in Indianapolis.(largest crowd in the game's history thus far) It was insane. Hawkeye Nation will be headed to Pasadena in droves. 25 years since they've been. I know tons of old timers who basically said they'd rather travel to see Iowa in Pasadena than in a playoff game. (I know, I know)

Kirk Herbstriet said on air he expects 60,000 Iowa fans at the Rose Bowl. I don't know about that, but there will be a ton of black and gold.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Re: College Football 2015-16: The Big Ten Rises

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      There were 40,000 Iowa fans in Indianapolis.(largest crowd in the game's history thus far) It was insane. Hawkeye Nation will be headed to Pasadena in droves. 25 years since they've been. I know tons of old timers who basically said they'd rather travel to see Iowa in Pasadena than in a playoff game. (I know, I know)

Kirk Herbstriet said on air he expects 60,000 Iowa fans at the Rose Bowl. I don't know about that, but there will be a ton of black and gold.
      Agreed. Iowa travels well and when it comes to something that a lot of fans haven't seen in their lifetimes? **** man, "mortgage the pig farm and sell the corn fields. We're going no matter what."
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Agreed. Iowa travels well and when it comes to something that a lot of fans haven't seen in their lifetimes? **** man, "mortgage the pig farm and sell the corn fields. We're going no matter what."
        Two years ago Stanford offered Rose Bowl tickets as part of the deal if you bought season tickets for the next season (or maybe it was if you put a deposit down). A LOT of MSU fans jumped on that since it was cheaper than what it took to get tickets from their allotment. I wonder if the ticket office will do it this year. One one hand, it gets you badly outnumbered at the game. On the other hand, the even years are usually the weak home-game-wise (USC is good, but WSU/OSU/Colorado is blah), so getting more money for that year will likely factor in too.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

You're wrong. I'm not trying to be an ***, but you're wrong. That's why it was important Iowa wasn't jumped by OSU in the CFP Rankings.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/spo...nces/75012164/

From linked article written in November when Iowa fans started wondering about the Rose Bowl:

“I really want to emphasize that the strong presumption is we’re going with the next-highest-ranked team. OK? Because I don’t want to mislead people,” Jenkins said. “And I really mean that. We’ve had a lot of discussions with (athletic directors) from both conferences. It’s really important. They’re putting a lot of weight in these rankings systems, and we will, too. It would truly have to be an extraordinary situation.”
          The only “extraordinary situation" that Jenkins could think of that would apply for one team to jump another was if a team had already gone to the Rose Bowl for three consecutive years, as Wisconsin did from 2011-13. He said both conferences agreed three years in a row was too many, but two in a row wasn't.
          You are assuming that the Committee would not have moved Iowa down. Both OSU and Iowa lost close games to MSU, arguably OSU had a harder schedule, therefore it was not out of reason that OSU would have jumped Iowa. there was even mention that the match ups for the bowls were taken into consideration for the 6 games.

after the top 4, the requirement to get the best 4 teams gets a lot less restrictive.

Could have easily happened. Thankfully it did not.

Comment

Quick Lane Bowl
            Central Michigan vs Minnesota
            Dec. 28th, 5 pm, Detroit
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
              Quick Lane Bowl
              Central Michigan vs Minnesota
              Dec. 28th, 5 pm, Detroit
              I am outraged that the Gophers have been snubbed on a Jan. 1 bowl game yet again! (Actually, it's a shame they got a bowl at all, given their record.)
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                You are assuming that the Committee would not have moved Iowa down. Both OSU and Iowa lost close games to MSU, arguably OSU had a harder schedule, therefore it was not out of reason that OSU would have jumped Iowa. there was even mention that the match ups for the bowls were taken into consideration for the 6 games.

after the top 4, the requirement to get the best 4 teams gets a lot less restrictive.

Could have easily happened. Thankfully it did not.
                My point was that I thought the system would be broke if after how the game went last night, Iowa was punished for playing in the conference championship game by being ranked below idle OSU. That was all that mattered. Nothing about money or anything. The Rose Bowl and the Pac -12 and B1G ADs wanted assurance that the rankings would matter.

I'm going to believe the Head of the Rose Bowl committee on this one, sorry.
                AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                  Two years ago Stanford offered Rose Bowl tickets as part of the deal if you bought season tickets for the next season (or maybe it was if you put a deposit down). A LOT of MSU fans jumped on that since it was cheaper than what it took to get tickets from their allotment. I wonder if the ticket office will do it this year. One one hand, it gets you badly outnumbered at the game. On the other hand, the even years are usually the weak home-game-wise (USC is good, but WSU/OSU/Colorado is blah), so getting more money for that year will likely factor in too.
                  I remember you posting that here, so I went there to check in case I strike it out in our allotment. Doesn't look like it as of now.
                  AF 99

Comment

My point was that I thought the system would be broke if after how the game went last night, Iowa was punished for playing in the conference championship game by being ranked below idle OSU. That was all that mattered. Nothing about money or anything. The Rose Bowl and the Pac -12 and B1G ADs wanted assurance that the rankings would matter.

I'm going to believe the Head of the Rose Bowl committee on this one, sorry.
                    If tOSU played a stronger schedule and ended at 11-1, while Iowa had a relatively weak SOS, then it's reasonable to conclude that 11-1 tOSU is the better team and should be ranked higher than 12-1 Iowa.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      If tOSU played a stronger schedule and ended at 11-1, while Iowa had a relatively weak SOS, then it's reasonable to conclude that 11-1 tOSU is the better team and should be ranked higher than 12-1 Iowa.
                      Right, but OSU didn't play a more difficult schedule. Iowa barely eked them out.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Right, but OSU didn't play a more difficult schedule. Iowa barely eked them out.
                        Then it comes down to margin of victory, which Iowa wasn't known for blowing out its opponents this year while tOSU had some pretty big wins earlier in the year. After that, I wouldn't doubt if one of the unofficial criteria is which school has the bigger named coach. Urban Meyers > Kirk Firenze (or however those names are spelled).

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          I thought I would want them to expand to 8 to be like DII or FCS football but after this second year I think that would be a mistake. It already bothers me that the bowl games are not historically like they normally have been. Small thing to complain about but I'm a traditionalist.

Four times is just the right number because 8 teams would make it less exciting and draw out the bowl games even more. Now I think it could happen because it would increase the TV contract in the future, but that's about the only reason.
                          This may surprise you -- particularly because my team wound up at #7 this time around -- but I agree with you completely. I really like that the four team playoff creates a field of conference champions. I'm coming to believe that adding wild cards would actually detract from the tournament.

For example, MSU shouldn't be facing a potential rematch with either OSU or Iowa. They won the right to represent the B1G in the Playoff. For 2015, the B1G pecking order has been settled. Both the Hawkeyes and Buckeyes came close, but didn't get it done. IMHO, there's no reason we should be given the opportunity to "earn a split."

And BTW, Hockey and Basketball are fundamentally different. For them it's normal to play multiple games against an opponent during the same season. Playing an additional game on a winner-take-all basis doesn't bother me in those sports. Well, as long as it's not a first round match-up.

...I don't like how the Rose Bowl is potentially a game without a Big Ten and PAC 12 team. I'm very much a traditionalist.
                          Amen.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          Whew- looks like Iowa will go play Stanford in Pasadena.

Wonder if Iowa will patch up that run game D enough for Stanford. That should be a good one.
                          It will be, and I plan to watch. And be just a little jealous. Great Pac12 vs. B1G match-up. Playoff or not, the Rose Bowl will always be cool.

But you know what? The Committee and the Rose Bowl got it right. Iowa earned it. They gave MSU a better game than we did. Had the Spartans won in a blow-out, I'd say that Stanford/OSU would have been the right call for the Rose Bowl. But as we all know, the game in Indy couldn't have been closer.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          And Notre Dame vs. OSU. That will be interesting, but I'm hoping to miss that game attending another one.
                          Oh, that.

There is a downside to the four team playoff, and this brings it into focus. Even though I thought OSU's final ranking was 100% fair, I experienced our bowl assignment as a letdown. Couldn't muster any reaction beyond a shrug.

In my head, I know that's just wrong. Back in the 90's when we had a home and home series with ND, I was hugely excited for those games from the moment they were announced. Same thing for the OSU/ND Fiesta Bowl from a decade ago. And yes, when New Years' 2016 rolls around, I will find a way to care and be more engaged. But at the irrational, emotional level: Right now the 2016 Fiesta feels like another one of the countless runner-up bowls that maybe shouldn't be played.

And to bring my comment full circle, this last factor may help push us down the path to an 8 team playoff. More games that "count" would create a lot of additional interest. Add in the enhanced TV money and it may prove to be an irresistible combination.

Comment

Yeah as much as I want to say that 8 teams would be better, someone else on here mentioned it would make OOC schedules even worse since teams would only have to try in the conference schedules, since a CC would get them in automatically. Then again, I guess a tough OOC schedule wouldn't hurt them there either. I guess the only way an OOC schedule would matter would be for a wild card team, and then there'd probably be the same battle between SoS and number of losses, so it would just push the same debate from the top 4 to the wild cards. Who knows?

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

I remember you posting that here, so I went there to check in case I strike it out in our allotment. Doesn't look like it as of now.
                              FYI I'm hearing it isn't working so well this time, but I don't know the details: http://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thread...tickets.69932/ I think this time Stanford is giving more priority to non-season-ticket holding alums rather than just opening the remaining amount to anyone willing to eat the deposit for the following season. Best of luck, though, even though I think you guys will definitely have the numbers crowd-wise.

KDR

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                                FYI I'm hearing it isn't working so well this time, but I don't know the details: http://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thread...tickets.69932/ I think this time Stanford is giving more priority to non-season-ticket holding alums rather than just opening the remaining amount to anyone willing to eat the deposit for the following season. Best of luck, though, even though I think you guys will definitely have the numbers crowd-wise.
                                Thankfully I've got a few connections who have had tickets 30 years, I actually should end up with good seats the way it sounds. We might have to have a beer out there if you'll be making the trip.
                                Last edited by MavHockey14; 12-06-2015, 11:51 PM.
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X