This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    Every chance I had to talk to a Sparty fans I tried talking hockey to see if I was running into you. Congrats. What a game. What a drive. Championship football at its finest. Good luck the rest of the way.
    Ended up at a place called The Pub. It was like 80% Hawkeyes but had a short line when we went. Was with my Hawkeye sister so talked to quite a few Iowa fans, though many just felt like making jokes about choosing the wrong school. Though two didn't even go to Iowa after making the joke. One went to St. Andrews? And another actually went to Minnesota. Had to call that guy out, even he admitted he was messed up.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Re: College Football 2015-16: The Big Ten Rises

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      Saw a guy at the bar in Indy wearing a NoDak sweatshirt, tried to talk hockey. Says he didn't follow hockey in school and doesn't now. What did he do for fun in Grand Forks?
      I drank and played pool while massively failing at the other thing Brent mentioned.

I think I met that guy at Sam's Club when I first moved here....he wasn't sure whether or not to believe me when I said there was no way UND was going to the South Bend regional since they were hosting in Fargo. The hockey knowledge here is very lacking.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        If we get jumped by OSU the system is already broke.
        The system isn't about who is best at this point- it's about who draws the best. Otherwise, I can't really figure how we are going to Orlando (which is most likely at this point).

I hope you go to the Rose Bowl, too. It's been longer for Iowa vs. OSU.

The bigger question- there were rumors that thanks to the playoff spot, the Rose Bowl may not pick a B1G team. ugh.

Comment

Incredible game, incredible win, incredible experience.

Nice to see the ACC made sure they had a playoff team.
          Heck of a way to end the game. Zero controversy doing it that way, no doubt. I'm sure that was both nerve wracking AND satisfying up to the TD- as one could see the writing on the wall with about 6 min left.

I also think with Cook healthy (I assume the announcers were nearly correct that he must have been hurt), Clemson should be a good matchup for you. Not sure about Alabama, though (who I expect to beat OK).

Comment

Incredible game, incredible win, incredible experience.

Nice to see the ACC made sure they had a playoff team.
            Should be a fun game between Clemson and Michigan State. My guess is that it will be a low scoring affair. Both teams are clutch, so I wouldn't be surprised with a roller-coaster ride to the final whistle. Looking forward to it.

As to the whole idea that the ACC officials tried to ensure Clemson made the playoff, it's absolutely ridiculous. My guess is people making such assertions haven't paid attention to the league this season, and certainly didn't watch the ACC Championship game (other than the last minute). But go ahead and keep saying such things. You just look worse than ACC officiating.

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
            I'd like to point out McCaffrey ends the year with 3496 all-purpose yards, and the next closest is 2410. Henry breaks a SEC record and McCaffrey breaks a national record, and of course ESPN covers the former. Nice to see again that 15% or so of Heisman ballots were sent in before the season ended, once they decided who was the best SEC player and thus who should win.

Also, can someone remind what Oklahoma has actually accomplished this year?
            McCaffrey is the best player in college football and should win the Heisman. Henry is a solid player, but it reminds me of the whole Barry Sanders v. Emmitt Smith debate. At least McCaffrey will get to go to New York...shame that he likely won't walk away with the trophy.

As for Oklahoma, IMO, they have a stronger resume than Alabama. Oklahoma went 3-0 against teams in the top 20 (W-#11, #12, #17), including two wins on the road. Alabama went 1-1 against such teams (L-#13, W-#18)...none of which were on the road. Oklahoma's loss is obviously worse, but I wouldn't judge a team based on who they lose to.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              The system isn't about who is best at this point- it's about who draws the best. Otherwise, I can't really figure how we are going to Orlando (which is most likely at this point).

I hope you go to the Rose Bowl, too. It's been longer for Iowa vs. OSU.

The bigger question- there were rumors that thanks to the playoff spot, the Rose Bowl may not pick a B1G team. ugh.
              You're confused on the new system. If the Big Ten Chanpion goes to the Playoff and the Rose Bowl isn't a a semifinal, the next highest ranked Big Ten team goes to the playoff, outside of an abnormal circumstance. Their example for that was Wisconsin going three straight years to the Rose Bowl, and if they were ranked 6 and Minnesota 7-8, Minnesota would go because they haven't been since the 60's and UW would go to another NY6 bowl.

My point being, if Iowa is penalized for losing that game, on a neutral field, vs Connor Cook and not a back up, when OSU lost by the same margin at home, vs a back up from MSU, the system is broke. Iowa deserves to be ranked ahead of OSU is my point. 12-1 vs 11-1 with the same loss, and OSU was idle. Iowa shouldn't drop behind OSU because they won their division and made the title game. (With my point above)
              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                Should be a fun game between Clemson and Michigan State. My guess is that it will be a low scoring affair. Both teams are clutch, so I wouldn't be surprised with a roller-coaster ride to the final whistle. Looking forward to it.

As to the whole idea that the ACC officials tried to ensure Clemson made the playoff, it's absolutely ridiculous. My guess is people making such assertions haven't paid attention to the league this season, and certainly didn't watch the ACC Championship game (other than the last minute). But go ahead and keep saying such things. You just look worse than ACC officiating.

McCaffrey is the best player in college football and should win the Heisman. Henry is a solid player, but it reminds me of the whole Barry Sanders v. Emmitt Smith debate. At least McCaffrey will get to go to New York...shame that he likely won't walk away with the trophy.

As for Oklahoma, IMO, they have a stronger resume than Alabama. Oklahoma went 3-0 against teams in the top 20 (W-#11, #12, #17), including two wins on the road. Alabama went 1-1 against such teams (L-#13, W-#18)...none of which were on the road. Oklahoma's loss is obviously worse, but I wouldn't judge a team based on who they lose to.
                I think MSU jumps OK. They won a conference championship game. OK beat everyone's back up QB and then Okie State. Baylor loss to TX, should hurt their win, but maybe it helps their loss. They do take into consideration injuries as well.

I think it'll be:

1 Clemson vs 4 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl and 2 Alabama and 3 Michigan State in the Cotton Bowl. That also gets Oklahoma out of Dallas, where they'd be a four hour drive to the game, and I think you can logically make that argument.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it went 1 Bama, 2 MSU, 3 Clemson, 4 Oklahoma, but who knows. MSU resume is better than Bama's as well, IMHO.

How I would rank them:

1 Clemson - rewarding the 0 in the loss column.
                2 Michigan State - resume is better than Clemson's, but 1 loss.
                3 Alabama
                4 Oklahoma
                Last edited by MavHockey14; 12-06-2015, 11:01 AM.
                AF 99

Comment

1 Clemson vs 4 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

2 Alabama vs 3 Michigan State in the Cotton Bowl.

Figured that's how the committee would go.
                  AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Oklahoma also got to get warm in the first ten weeks and then only have to play teams with a pulse come week 11. Stanford was playing real teams from beginning to end. Stanford played 10 bowl-eligible Power 5 teams, Oklahoma 7. Stanford played 7 8-win teams, Oklahoma played 4. Stanford lost to two top-20 teams, Oklahoma lost to 5-7 Texas. The Big-12 is a joke, just because they only had one team with 1-loss this year doesn't make them suddenly good.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Oklahoma also got to get warm in the first ten weeks and then only have to play teams with a pulse come week 11. Stanford was playing real teams from beginning to end. Stanford played 10 bowl-eligible Power 5 teams, Oklahoma 7. Stanford played 7 8-win teams, Oklahoma played 4. Stanford lost to two top-20 teams, Oklahoma lost to 5-7 Texas. The Big-12 is a joke, just because they only had one team with 1-loss this year doesn't make them suddenly good.
                      To be fair, Oklahoma did travel to Tennessee and won early in the season.
                      North Dakota

Comment

1 Clemson vs 4 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

2 Alabama vs 3 Michigan State in the Cotton Bowl.

Figured that's how the committee would go.
                        Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner.

Hope we have a repeat of the 2014 Russel Athletic Bowl.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          To be fair, Oklahoma did travel to Tennessee and won early in the season.
                          True, they played week 2, and then got to scrimmage until week 11.

Also, Tennessee isn't a good team this year, despite being 8-4. Georgia is their only meaningful win, then they lost to UF, Ark, OU, and Alabama, aka teams with a pulse, and then beat up on the weaklings of the SEC (UK, Mizzou, Vandy, SC) and joke OOC teams (BG, WCU, UNT). And for that they got to be #25 in the CFP rankings.
                          Last edited by French Rage; 12-06-2015, 11:38 AM.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

The committee got it right. I kind of figured they were going to be angling for an Alabama Oklahoma championship so they would put them opposite. It was convenient the teams made it easy to do that without much controversy.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

You're confused on the new system. If the Big Ten Chanpion goes to the Playoff and the Rose Bowl isn't a a semifinal, the next highest ranked Big Ten team goes to the playoff, outside of an abnormal circumstance. Their example for that was Wisconsin going three straight years to the Rose Bowl, and if they were ranked 6 and Minnesota 7-8, Minnesota would go because they haven't been since the 60's and UW would go to another NY6 bowl.

My point being, if Iowa is penalized for losing that game, on a neutral field, vs Connor Cook and not a back up, when OSU lost by the same margin at home, vs a back up from MSU, the system is broke. Iowa deserves to be ranked ahead of OSU is my point. 12-1 vs 11-1 with the same loss, and OSU was idle. Iowa shouldn't drop behind OSU because they won their division and made the title game. (With my point above)
                              No- other than the top teams, the bowls get to pick who they want. That is still how it works.

Once MSU got into the top 4, the Rose Bowl does not have to take the best B1G team- they can do what they want. The only team they have to take right now is Stanford- as they are the P12 best and not already spoken for.

Again, I WANT Iowa to got to the Rose Bowl, but the Buckeyes spend more money.

Comment

True, they played week 2, and then got to scrimmage until week 11.
                                Maybe that's why they laid an egg against Texas?

Oklahoma is a very good team. Are they better than Stanford? I don't know. Unfortunately the playoff is only four teams.

Just saw where Oklahoma is a 2.5 point favorite against Clemson. Apparently some people think Oklahoma is deserving...or Clemson is some sort of joke.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X