X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NHL 2015, Part 3: Stanley Cup and Offseason

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Sent. And aparch has a link posted, but it's not a hyperlink.
    I'm working on saving it to my site. Trying to remember what the password was so I can FTP it.

*edit*

www.nmubaseball.net/uscho/JohnScott.jpg

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Comment

I remember a game at Tech from 2006 or so that was something like a 4-1 blowout in Tech's favor. With a couple minutes left in the 3rd, Scott got a clean break and potted one. The place went nuclear.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Not looking for a fight on this one, just struggling with motive.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            General frustration, I suppose. No malice in particular.

And I don't care who you are, that Scott pic is funnier than hell. It's like the Gionta/Chara "fight."
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              General frustration, I suppose. No malice in particular.

And I don't care who you are, that Scott pic is funnier than hell. It's like the Gionta/Chara "fight."

I remember Roenick taking a stab at Probert at least once.

Probert's like, for real? Roenick's like, you best defend yourself.

Then Probert beat him down iirc.

And that linesman needs to keep his head up instead of standing there admiring his call.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                I remember Roenick taking a stab at Probert at least once.

Probert's like, for real? Roenick's like, you best defend yourself.

Then Probert beat him down iirc.

And that linesman needs to keep his head up instead of standing there admiring his call.
                Probert, while a fave of mine, was friggin' nuts. The drugs helped his fuggit attitude, obviously.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  I could buy that he's woozy, going to the bench, someone gets on his way, so he hits him without realizing it's a ref. But he still hit a ref with a cross check. No intent to injure, but intentional contact. 10 games.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    I could buy that he's woozy, going to the bench, someone gets on his way, so he hits him without realizing it's a ref. But he still hit a ref with a cross check. No intent to injure, but intentional contact. 10 games.
                    If he just kinda bowled him over, shoved him, whatever. The arm motion is what caught my eye. Up and forward. That's BS. That's intentional.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      If he just kinda bowled him over, shoved him, whatever. The arm motion is what caught my eye. Up and forward. That's BS. That's intentional.
                      Yep. Kerry Fraser had a pretty good writeup on his TSN blog about the call. He also is guessing it will fall into the 10 game rule. Why wouldn't Wideman go for a bear hug to truly minimize the effects of collision?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                        Yep. Kerry Fraser had a pretty good writeup on his TSN blog about the call. He also is guessing it will fall into the 10 game rule. Why wouldn't Wideman go for a bear hug to truly minimize the effects of collision?
                        Well, what Kerry says, goes. /admittedfanboy

10...I'd be disappointed. But, with the whole concussion defense, I will begrudgingly accept. Hate it, but it is the NHL.

Comment

http://www.tsn.ca/1.429965

^Brent. It's a good look into how Kerry feels things may have played out, with good reasoning to back his guess of 10 minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                            http://www.tsn.ca/1.429965

^Brent. It's a good look into how Kerry feels things may have played out, with good reasoning to back his guess of 10 minimum.
                            Great link. I find Fraser's arguments to be well crafted, and his conclusion persuasive. Guess that's why he's Kerry Fraser.

The only remaining question for me concerns the fact the "hard shove" was entirely from the back. If the same conduct occurs head-on, at least the linesman has some opportunity to catch his fall or otherwise protect himself from injury. Head-on, maybe Wideman says something like "outta my way" before the shove. In this hypothetical scenario, it could be that Henderson doesn't even go down -- in which case maybe we're talking about category III contact. (3 game minimum)

In any event, my feeling is that any player, even if he's a bit "salty," is constantly aware that hitting from behind is a horse of a different color. It just has a dishonorable, cowardly quality to it. IMHO, this makes the situation a little worse, and calls for a few games above the minimum. Perhaps the standard 10 games for category II, plus 5 games of supplemental discipline, for a total suspension of 15 games?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              His arm movement sold me on intent to hit. That alone should be 20.
                              In total agreement. 20 minimum.
                              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

It's going to be interesting to see how the league comes down on this. Really not many comparable incidents, Wideman DOES have a clean sheet, but it's a stereotypical "statement" event.

I guess I'd be slightly disappointed at 10 games, but I can see how that could be their choice. 20 wouldn't shock me, but I would really, really like to think Wideman didn't intend to blindside the linesman. It's just that forearm shove that gives me some doubt about that, and then getting straight on the bench with zero care in the world. Just a weird, weird series of events.

Comment

Working...
                                X