• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlagDUDE08
    replied
    Re: Memorial Day 2015

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    Memorial Day has become just another Veteran's Day to most people, at best. It's true meaning seems lost on people after more than a decade of admonitions to "support the troops" regardless of one's political feelings regarding the current and recent use of our military forces. I for one would support the idea of returning Memorial Day to its historical date of May 30th, as perhaps moving it away from just another long weekend where many of us gather in front of TV sets watching more hollow salutes to the troops would reignite some of the feelings Americans used to have for this day, a day of commemoration for our service men and women who gave their lives wearing the uniform of their country. If I heard that twit Michael Waltrip say one more time "Happy Memorial Day to all the vets out there" I think I'd puke.
    Coudl have fooled me, Memorial Day looks more like it's a commercial "holiday", this time to support the barbecue industry.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Oops, zero tolerance rears its ugly head again. http://www.poconorecord.com/article/...emplate=wapart

Leave a comment:

• WeAreNDHockey
    replied

Memorial Day has become just another Veteran's Day to most people, at best. It's true meaning seems lost on people after more than a decade of admonitions to "support the troops" regardless of one's political feelings regarding the current and recent use of our military forces. I for one would support the idea of returning Memorial Day to its historical date of May 30th, as perhaps moving it away from just another long weekend where many of us gather in front of TV sets watching more hollow salutes to the troops would reignite some of the feelings Americans used to have for this day, a day of commemoration for our service men and women who gave their lives wearing the uniform of their country. If I heard that twit Michael Waltrip say one more time "Happy Memorial Day to all the vets out there" I think I'd puke.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

With my grandma needing assisted living my family has been going through her house to get it ready to sell. We found my Great Uncle's distinguished flying cross and purple heart as well as some other papers. I managed to dig up the mission report for his final mission on July 31, 1945.

Heavy and medium guns at Marushima began firing at our planes the minute they made landfall on their initial approach...Captain Burg's plane was hit...and his right wingman saw his right engine and right wing burst info flames. Captain Burg kept his plane under control and led his squadron on into the assigned target, making his run directly across the center of the fertilizer plant. Although his plane was badly hit and burning he strung his four bombs through the target and scored one direct hit on the largest building in the plant area. Just as he passed over the factory, Captain Burg's plane was apparently hit for the second time as it was seen to rock violently and the left engine caught fire. He was headed to sea at this time, and made a ditching about five miles off shore in Yatsushiro Bay at approximately 3212N-13119E. This was at 11117/I hours. The plane broke apart on ditching and almost instantly the entire plane was alive with flames. Lieutenant Mathews returned to circle the ditched plane and reported there was no possible survivors.

In all six planes dropped 16 bombs in the factory area, scoring 5 or more hits on buildings and adding to the fires and general destruction.
    There were actions which justify awards. In the opinion of this officer, the extreme courage and devotion to duty displayed by the crew of A/F 258 in continuing their run after being hit by flak, and leading the squadron on into the target after their plane was hit and on fire, is worthy of the highest commendation. The following crewmen should be awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross - Posthumously: Captain Richard E. Burg, Pilot; 2nd Lieutenant Bill W. Redmon, Co-Pilot; 2nd Lieutenant Robert N. Braun, Navigator; Technical Sergeant Franklin T. Strawn, Engineer; Staff Sergeant Edwin Johnson, Radio Operator).

Great Uncle Robert and his crew were members of the 501st Bombardment Squadron, 345th Bombardment Group (M), 5th Air Force known as the Air Apaches. They flew a B-25 bomber and their story is just one of many that we should never forget.

Leave a comment:

• huskyfan
    replied

a day late, but many thoughts bounced around our house this weekend, thinking of those who gave all, so that we may grilled, drink beer and socialize in peace. would be that the time would come when we no longer had to add to the list ...

Leave a comment:

• eddieshack23
    replied

In a similar vein is the poem of Alan Seeger." I have a rendezvous with Death".
    I have a rendezvous with Death
    at some disputed barricade,
    When Spring comes back with rustling shade
    and apple-blossoms fill the air-
    When Spring brings back blue days and fair.

Alan Seeger was an American fighting with the French forces.
    Killed in action at the battle of Somme 7/4/1916

Thank you to all our forces who have defended us thru history

Leave a comment:

• eddieshack23
    replied

In a similar vein is the poem of Alan Seeger." I have a rendezvous with Death".
    at some disputed barricade,
    When Spring comes back with rustling shade
    and apple-blossoms fill the air-
    When Spring brings back blue days and fair.

Alan Seeger was an American fighting with the French forces.
    Killed in action at the battle of Somme 7/4/1916

Thank you to all our forces who have defended us thru history

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    started a topic Memorial Day 2015

Memorial Day 2015

This month marks the 100th anniversary of this poem. It was not written by a poet, but by somebody who knew the horrors of war first hand. It was not written by an American hence it is often forgotten in our country. Maybe the closest thing we have to In Flanders Fields is the Gettysburg Address.

Today let us remember and honor those who have died for us so that we can be free.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.
    Last edited by joecct; 05-25-2015, 05:19 AM.
Working...
X