X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops 2: Pay No Attention to the Rioters Behind the Curtain

Here's where it ended via Priceless:

10,000 people walking down the street peacefully makes a lousy visual for the media. A building set on fire by a few thugs makes a great visual - and it will last for hours between the actual burning and the endless looping you can do. And that's the story you send out to the millions watching on TV...

I noticed a decent number of other people posting a similar thing this morning. Glad you got the talking points memo and followed along.

Of course burning buildings is going to get more attention. How many people's lives/businesses are in danger when you have 10,000 people protesting peacefully? How many when you have several hundred rioting?

Is it ok to call people thugs now? Or is that still racist?

Re: Cops 2: Pay No Attention to the Rioters Behind the Curtain

To pretend that the two stories deserve equal coverage is beyond idiotic.

Comment

I wonder how Priceless and his ilk (if he has any ilk) would feel about that if it were his own home being set afire... Changes things doesn't it? Not quite so fun and exciting now?
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        I wonder how Priceless and his ilk (if he has any ilk) would feel about that if it were his own home being set afire... Changes things doesn't it? Not quite so fun and exciting now?
        Fun and exciting?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          To pretend that the two stories deserve equal coverage is beyond idiotic.
          Based on what? I agree one's more profitable than the other hence the coverage disparity but I wouldn't say the riots "deserve" more coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            Based on what? I agree one's more profitable than the other hence the coverage disparity but I wouldn't say the riots "deserve" more coverage.
            Apparently watching riots is fun and exciting. Also a useful distraction from the fact a man was stopped, arrested and killed by the police with absolutely no probable cause. But hey, look at that fire!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Apparently watching riots is fun and exciting. Also a useful distraction from the fact a man was stopped, arrested and killed by the police with absolutely no probable cause. But hey, look at that fire!
              Was there not coverage about the arrest and death? Should the stations stay so focused on that aspect that any new part related to it should be ignored? He look, hundreds of people destroying their town for no specific reason, let's ignore it because nobody cares.

Comment

Subscribed because I'm in the Inner Circle.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

A few questions:

1) What are people rioting against? I understand Fergerson where people are fighting a power structure that's supposedly locking them out (although showing up to vote can change that) but I don't see that dynamic playing out in Baltimore.

2) What exactly are people looting? Each other's cardboard boxes? Having been to Baltimore, it rivals Philly and Detroit as the worst dumps I've ever seen.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                    Was there not coverage about the arrest and death? Should the stations stay so focused on that aspect that any new part related to it should be ignored? He look, hundreds of people destroying their town for no specific reason, let's ignore it because nobody cares.
                    The government wants martial law. The riots are all a part of the plan. The people need to be subdued that it's OK, hence why it's in subtext on PSAs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEo0qX-ScfQ

Comment

Two people were looking at some furniture.

"Hey, the chair is brown!"
                      -- yeah, but the footstool is green
                      "Doesn't it bother you that the chair is brown?"
                      --doesn't it bother you that the footstool is green?

and on and on they go, one person can only talk about the brown chair, and nothing else at all except the brown chair.
                      Meanwhile, the other person can only talk about the green footstool, and nothing else at all except the green footstool.

and somehow this passes for conversation these day?
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        A few questions:

1) What are people rioting against? I understand Fergerson where people are fighting a power structure that's supposedly locking them out (although showing up to vote can change that) but I don't see that dynamic playing out in Baltimore.

2) What exactly are people looting? Each other's cardboard boxes? Having been to Baltimore, it rivals Philly and Detroit as the worst dumps I've ever seen.
                        There's a couple articles from a blogger in Baltimore that explains the riots:
                        http://thepetesantillishow.com/balti...imore-blogger/
                        http://rt.com/usa/baltimore-swat-macarthur-police-176/

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

Anything to deflect and apologize for a certain segment's actions.

Don't hold the criminals responsible for their actions... change the story to what the news is covering because every story (riots, marches, bake sales, mass murder, cats rescued from trees) warrants the same level of coverage.

Comment

Oh, and can we stop with the "obey the law and the cops will leave you alone" garbage? There was NO probable cause to stop Grey and he was still stopped, handcuffed, manicled and eventually killed. No, if you simply obey the law there are some cops who still will not leave you alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              Anything to deflect and apologize for a certain segment's actions.
                              Out of curiously, what qualifies you to judge? Other than it fitting into a narrative you had locked and loaded, I mean.

My initial guess is the kids who went store to store had a nice plan worked out (it looked well organized -- a lot better organized than the cops, anyway) and were taking full advantage of the situation to either play a little anarchy game or score some free stuff. We should find them, arrest them, try them, and lock them up.

But if you launch into immediately decrying any attempt to argue there was provocation without even pausing for a second to consider, you come off like a guy who's been waiting all his life for some uppity nggers' scalps, and now you've got some and to hell with anybody who wants to take them from your hot little hands.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X