Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would a US "Police State" look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would a US "Police State" look like?

People should ask themselves from time to time, what would an American police state look like?

Not to try to fit the current situation to it -- that would be absurd as, for example, we will not be arrested for having this discussion. But what at the core is a police state, and how would an American version be different given our history. Would it be explicit, like Germany, or would it retain the empty trappings of a representative system, like Rome under Augustus? Is there a critical test to decide what side of the line we're on? Is a police state by definition excluded by a democratic political system, or is an "elected police state" -- even, a voluntary police state -- possible?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Re: What would a US "Police State" look like?

Funny. On Fox News every day is an Obama police state. Is what your proposing different?
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      People should ask themselves from time to time, what would an American police state look like?

Not to try to fit the current situation to it -- that would be absurd as, for example, we will not be arrested for having this discussion. But what at the core is a police state, and how would an American version be different given our history. Would it be explicit, like Germany, or would it retain the empty trappings of a representative system, like Rome under Augustus? Is there a critical test to decide what side of the line we're on? Is a police state by definition excluded by a democratic political system, or is an "elected police state" -- even, a voluntary police state -- possible?
      A police state is an effective martial law, whether or not they choose to use the name (and obviously they won't in order to sell it). Sure, there may be "elected people" to present to the sheeple, but the people really running things are "appointed", whether at the pleasure of elected people, or by lobby (i.e. corporations buying candidates). The elected person will be the "fall guy", who will take the blame for everything, driving the sheeple to want "change", when in all reality, nothing's actually changed; all of the appointed folks are still there. Media will be used to divide the populace and have them fight amongst each other to make sure they're less of a threat. All the meantime, FEMA camps will gather the sheeple and sort them into one of three groups, and I'll refer to them by colour: Green (they fully accept the police state and will abide by it without question, or the police state has a use for them, perhaps as a snitch), Yellow (Does not accept the police state yet, but may be re-educated through thought or labour), and Red (Cannot be re-trained or has no further use; left to be executed).

The critical test is if you can identify whether or not what is happening in this country is either a police state or the makings thereof.

Comment

Sad truth that most people don't care about the form of their government as long as they are OK.
        Have a job
        chance at upward mobility
        Food on the table
        availability of goods
        safety for self and family
        ability to do things without undue interference
        freedom to practice their religion

Have that and most folks will roll over.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Will this police state have free health care? If I quit my job will they support me via welfare? Can I buy booze on Sundays? I need more details before I submit to such an idea.

Also, as soon as they try to take away guns or gun rights wouldn't their police state end?
          Last edited by JF_Gophers; 04-20-2015, 03:34 PM.
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            Will this police state have free health care? If I quit my job will they support me via welfare? Can I buy booze on Sundays? I need more details before I submit to such an idea.

Also, as soon as they try to take away guns or gun rights wouldn't their police state end?
            Despite your obvious jest, the government (through the media complex) shoves ideas like those down people's throats, and then uses them as bargaining chips with the sheeple with them (the sheeple) not understanding what it truly costs in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Despite your obvious jest, the government (through the media complex) shoves ideas like those down people's throats, and then uses them as bargaining chips with the sheeple with them (the sheeple) not understanding what it truly costs in the long run.
              Do you have any idea how much effect you lose when you continually call people with whom you disagree "sheeple" or "the sheeple" all the time? You've made yourself into a complete mockery, likely with many people who are even sympathetic to some of what you say.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Do you have any idea how much effect you lose when you continually call people with whom you disagree "sheeple" or "the sheeple" all the time? You've made yourself into a complete mockery, likely with many people who are even sympathetic to some of what you say.
                I could care less how people perceive me. The fact of the matter is that the general populace of the country has been dumbed down so they have the attention span of 140 characters, an incredibly short term memory, and the gullibility of a flock being sent out to pasture. If you're offended by what I type, don't read it. I will tell it like it is, and use whatever means necessary to make sure the point gets across.

Comment

Of course, you don't put yourself into the opposite end sheeple that puts nebulous ideas like that out there. The same sheeple that make us think that having some kind of healthcare available to everyone is the short cut to communism. Post all you want, but not sure how you fix that reputation to take your posts like this.

Comment

I could care less how people perceive me. The fact of the matter is that the general populace of the country has been dumbed down so they have the attention span of 140 characters, an incredibly short term memory, and the gullibility of a flock being sent out to pasture. If you're offended by what I type, don't read it. I will tell it like it is, and use whatever means necessary to make sure the point gets across.
                    See, that's the thing. Your point is completely nullified when you throw in these ad hominem labels/attacks. And you clearly care at least a little otherwise you wouldn't be so prolific in posting to political threads. Your actions belie your words.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Of course, you don't put yourself into the opposite end sheeple that puts nebulous ideas like that out there. The same sheeple that make us think that having some kind of healthcare available to everyone is the short cut to communism. Post all you want, but not sure how you fix that reputation to take your posts like this.
                      This is the exact reason why critical thinking and the execution of concepts is removed from today's classroom and replaced with rote memorization of concepts. It's because they don't want sheeple to be able to realize the flaws of the system. Sure, you can say that a system is used in Europe, but it's actually quite easily fallable.

I could care less about reputation. If you want me to post a certain way, it might as well just be you typing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Not sure how many A Wrinkle in Time fans are here....there was a recently-discovered three-page section from the manuscript that Madeleine L'Engle excised from the published version as too didactic that explained how the dark planet Camazot could come about anywhere once people become willing to give up personal liberty in exchange for security.

Didn't the police state in Fahrenheit 451 also evolve gradually over time?

To a certain extent (e.g., Nixon's "enemies list", and a few other examples that are too recent to allow for sober discussion), we already have laid the groundwork for a police state in the US, in that various government bureaucracies already can be (and have been) used to make a person's life miserable. The text of some laws are written so badly that nearly every person in this country is already violating a law or two every day, and is merely not prosecuted. The laws and the apparatus are already in place.

Just because people can express opinions without fear of prosecution does not by itself indicate the absence of a police state, it may be that the totalitarian regime allows people to blow off steam verbally in order to keep them in line by other means. We all complain about how complicated the income tax returns are, yet we all dutifully file them anyway.

It seems that the better question may not be whether the US is a "police state" (which you have not defined....), it might be more how far along the road are we already, and can we do anything to reverse it?
                        Last edited by FreshFish; 04-20-2015, 04:20 PM.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

According to the weird kid I went to high school with who posts stuff on Facebook, it's going to be like what happened to Boston after the Marathon bombings.

In other words, the police will roam the town, everyone will be forced indoors. How society, the economy, and a country are supposed to run while being completely shut down I have no idea, but his rambling made for some fun reading.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Edina, MN.

Well actually...a US police state could never hand out that many speeding tickets.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Sad truth that most people don't care about the form of their government as long as they are OK.
                              Have a job
                              chance at upward mobility
                              Food on the table
                              availability of goods
                              safety for self and family
                              ability to do things without undue interference
                              freedom to practice their religion

Have that and most folks will roll over.
                              Obama will be gone soon and you'll be free again.

Comment

Working...
                              X