X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part X - A link to a fore gone conclusion

To your questions

1. Do you agree this is a fair summary of what the central problem is and how Dodd-Frank was supposed to meet it?

Yes, and then No. A central problem of Dodd-Frank is too big to fail. Dodd Frank met this problem is several ways. 1) capital requirements. If you have enough liquid capital, you are less likely to fail. 2) bankruptcy as you say and 3) the govt's ability to freeze, take over, and wind down failing banks so they don't crash the system which you seem to admit is already in place.

2. Do you agree that Title I of Dodd-Frank has not in a meaningful way yet been implemented?

Yes, but its an extra layer on top of what's already in place to prevent too big to fail (capital requirements and govt takeover and wind down)

3. Do you agree that re: the size of the financial institutions and their domino effect in the economy these entities are still too big to fail and we would have to bail them out yet again?

No I don't. You may need some govt intervention because that's how the federal law is written. However as the last crisis didn't end up costing the Treasury mone (in fact they made money) the next one is less likely to do so.

Doom and Gloom always sells Kep.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      To your questions

1. Do you agree this is a fair summary of what the central problem is and how Dodd-Frank was supposed to meet it?

Yes, and then No. A central problem of Dodd-Frank is too big to fail. Dodd Frank met this problem is several ways. 1) capital requirements. If you have enough liquid capital, you are less likely to fail. 2) bankruptcy as you say and 3) the govt's ability to freeze, take over, and wind down failing banks so they don't crash the system which you seem to admit is already in place.

2. Do you agree that Title I of Dodd-Frank has not in a meaningful way yet been implemented?

Yes, but its an extra layer on top of what's already in place to prevent too big to fail (capital requirements and govt takeover and wind down)

3. Do you agree that re: the size of the financial institutions and their domino effect in the economy these entities are still too big to fail and we would have to bail them out yet again?

No I don't. You may need some govt intervention because that's how the federal law is written. However as the last crisis didn't end up costing the Treasury mone (in fact they made money) the next one is less likely to do so.

Doom and Gloom always sells Kep.
      Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall Glass-Steagall
        Scooby I don't necessarily agree but its cool.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Scooby I don't necessarily agree but its cool.
          Elizabeth does. That's all that matters to me. She also wrote the most significant economics book in US history. Glad to have her on my side.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Elizabeth does. That's all that matters to me. She also wrote the most significant economics book in US history. Glad to have her on my side.
            Good thing she was involved in making the Dodd-Frank law.

Comment

Good thing she was involved in making the Dodd-Frank law.
              Considering how toxic and moronic the Republicans in Congress are I'm surprised that law even passed. Flawed as it is. Glass-Steagall should have been put back. Greedy Money Humpers have a strong lobby.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Thank God for Pocahontas
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Meanwhile in Alabama.

ATLANTA — The chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, Roy S. Moore, on Wednesday ordered probate judges in the state not to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, a move that could cloud the carrying out of the United States Supreme Court decision that legalized same-sex unions.

Within hours of the administrative order, the probate court in Mobile County said on its website that it was “not issuing marriage licenses to any applicants until further notice.” That probate office, among the busiest in Alabama, was involved in the litigation that last year prompted a federal judge in Mobile to strike down the state’s marriage restrictions as unconstitutional.
                  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/07/us...nses.html?_r=0

Comment

Alabama confuses me. How can a single judge carry so much power? Does Alabama not have a state supreme court that consists of a panel/quorum of judges that would need to vote to make such a decision? To my understanding, when looking at the Federal model, the Chief Justice there can only decide on seemingly minor things (which probably have large consequences) that impact how the SCOTUS goes about its business, not issue directives without a majority rule.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      I am being too lenient by wanting them punished accordingly? Ok...
                      If you think this was a 50/50 screw-up you're being too lenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        If you think this was a 50/50 screw-up you're being too lenient.
                        If yo can kindly find me where I said that I will mea culpa. Since I didnt, nor have I ever thought as such (I usually say 80/20 for the record) I wont go holding my breathe.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Kep you're channeling Karl Rove now. You've made several statements that I've challenged, and now you're hiding behind "oh well you did it too". While we're waiting for your friend, tell me what questions you raised that I refused to answer? I've put mine down here for all to see. Kindly accept the challenge to do the same (again, while we're waiting for your friend )
                          My friend responded very briefly but hinted when he has time he'll hit it more analytically. His response is concise, at least:

So what if the law requires them to do something? They're a lawless mafia who are never punished because they've captured their regulators and they own Congress. They're more highly leveraged now than they were in 2008 and the next time they fall will be even worse. I'll work on the footnotes.
                          He's typically more laconic than Spock, so I think we hit a nerve.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            My friend responded very briefly but hinted when he has time he'll hit it more analytically. His response is concise, at least:

He's typically more laconic than Spock, so I think we hit a nerve.
                            Definitely sounds like he's going to bring a sober, reasoned analysis to all this after those comments. I await his reply....

Comment

Definitely sounds like he's going to bring a sober, reasoned analysis to all this after those comments. I await his reply....
                              Actually, if you found something that gets him annoyed I'll be forever grateful. I've been trying to annoy him for 30 years and haven't hit it yet.
                              Cornell University
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A very long piece detailing Obama's domestic policy achievements. The important thing, of course, is to cement and then extend these changes by continuing to hold the White House, which is why in the end liberals should and hopefully will turn out for Hillary.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X