This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part X - A link to a fore gone conclusion

I think you guys are missing the massive penalties the banks all paid. Mostly deservedly mind you, but I get a little tired of the trite "Oh nothing happened to the banks" schlock. Banks paid through the nose, rightfully so, got forced to accept all sorts of new restrictive regulations, and have hemorrhaged jobs top to bottom. I agree in that people like Diman shouldn't still be running their banks. Aside from him and maybe one other, I'm not sure there's anybody left running the top 10 banks that was there during the crisis.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      I think you guys are missing the massive penalties the banks all paid. Mostly deservedly mind you, but I get a little tired of the trite "Oh nothing happened to the banks" schlock. Banks paid through the nose, rightfully so, got forced to accept all sorts of new restrictive regulations, and have hemorrhaged jobs top to bottom. I agree in that people like Diman shouldn't still be running their banks. Aside from him and maybe one other, I'm not sure there's anybody left running the top 10 banks that was there during the crisis.

You just lost your lib card. Forever.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

You just lost your lib card. Forever.
        Its worth it if I get to inject some reality into these discussions.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Massive penalties to you or me, drops in the bucket to them. The only person who went to jail was some mid level lackey.

And the onerous regulations are toothless.

Comment

Yeah, this is why I think you're not a liberal. The penalties were BS and you should absolutely know that being in the industry. The one lesson that came out of this is BofA and Goldman should have been broken on the wheel, but instead they're bigger now. We are so f-cked if this happens again, because nothing has changed. This is a hostage situation.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              nationalize you so that you cannot fail.
              I know what you're saying, but this statement gave me quite the pause (been reading a lot of history books lately). The only guarantee about the future of nations is that they will fail.
              Anyone care to venture a prediction on how long the United States of America has left? 5000 years? 50? Most likely closer to the second than the first.
              Being controlled by the United States federal government is not synonymous with "guaranteed bedrock of stability." In fact nationalizing additional corrupting (for-profit) industries would probably be a slight destabilizing factor for the whole country.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                Anyone care to venture a prediction on how long the United States of America has left? 5000 years? 50? Most likely closer to the second than the first.
                I think the US goes when the nation state goes, so it's going to be a while. For that matter, the demarcation of borders of nation states will probably long outlast the actuality of sovereign control within those borders (c.f., Holy Roman Empire, Ottoman Empire).

Of course that doesn't mean the US will be stable over all that time. It's so big and unwieldy that the US might actually do well to split into two or more pieces at some point like the Roman Empire. We've really got three very broad cultural nations: the West, South, and Northeast, with the middle carved up however they like (the north-middle to the West and the south-middle to the South).

I'll call it at 2276, just to give us an even 500.

China is forever, everybody else is en passant.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think that this is pretty close. One can be a liberal and understand that societal success is a partnership between labor, government and business. In the end, we need em all.

The banks ultimately weren't that guilty and did pay. Many individuals on the other hand were quite guilty and didn't pay the penalties that they should have.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

I don't think Rover or 5mn_Major have read or seen "The Big Short". You better. It should be mandatory reading and taught in every high school/college in the US.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      I think the US goes when the nation state goes, so it's going to be a while. For that matter, the demarcation of borders of nation states will probably long outlast the actuality of sovereign control within those borders (c.f., Holy Roman Empire, Ottoman Empire).

Of course that doesn't mean the US will be stable over all that time. It's so big and unwieldy that the US might actually do well to split into two or more pieces at some point like the Roman Empire. We've really got three very broad cultural nations: the West, South, and Northeast, with the middle carved up however they like (the north-middle to the West and the south-middle to the South).

I'll call it at 2276, just to give us an even 500.

China is forever, everybody else is en passant.
                      4 nations: Wisconsin will still be there in some form, like a jilted pregnant redneck at the altar.
                      Last edited by geezer; 01-06-2016, 11:17 AM.
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        I know what you're saying, but this statement gave me quite the pause (been reading a lot of history books lately). The only guarantee about the future of nations is that they will fail.
                        Being controlled by the United States federal government is not synonymous with "guaranteed bedrock of stability." In fact nationalizing additional corrupting (for-profit) industries would probably be a slight destabilizing factor for the whole country.
                        When nations fall, the banking system will inherently go with it since its all based on the value of the underlying currency anyway.

There's no reason to allow the banks to push that date up through fraud, recklessness, or other systematic failures.

I wouldn't push nationalizing then, I'd take the Sherman Antitrust Act and break them up. But nationalizing them would still be a better option than the status quo of them being able to Fark up the economy without any lasting consequences.

Comment

All Hail The Big Short and all. Figured this is the place to put a couple commentaries, one on the book and the other provides a little more current background on the author himself.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            I'm not exonerating anyone but believe that while predatory lenders can all die in a fire the ones they lent to need to go sit in a corner and feel shame. And yeah many college campuses put a stop to that practice (one I remember well from my days on one long ago) because of the very nature of taking advantage of dummies. While you think I'm being too lenient on those that over-extended, I think you're being far too lenient toward the gross malpractice of the lenders by trying to even remotely compare the complicity of both sides.
                            I am being too lenient by wanting them punished accordingly? Ok...
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              And the banks profited from it, and then got bailed out when their own house of cards collapsed. A single mortgage going under doesn't threaten the national economy, Goldman Sachs going under does. The former is the mistake of an ignorant rube, the latter was systematic fraud by supposed experts. Guess who deserves more culpability...

You owe the bank a thousand dollars, the bank owns you. You owe the bank 10,000,000, and you own the bank. The US government should not be in the position of letting any financial institution "own" it's economy in that way.
                              Rover is bastardizing what I am saying. I am closer to this than his opinion
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                No one but the ones who mattered: the Justice Department.

This was a heist. We all agree the victims shouldn't have left the front door unlocked, but that does not in any way change the fact that the burglars should be in prison, and instead they walk down the street in broad daylight showing off the loot they stole, and the police and the mayor do nothing.
                                Which I have agreed with from day 1. Please dont equate me and Rover The Hill Lover
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X