X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part X - A link to a fore gone conclusion

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    As to God picking winners and losers, if you believe in predestination, He did. I don't.
    Good for you, but today's garden variety conservative thinks a bit different, since most candidates for President claim God has endorsed their bid for office. If that isn't God picking winners or losers, I don't know what is. Recall that when you vote for one of these clowns.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Good for you, but today's garden variety conservative thinks a bit different, since most candidates for President claim God has endorsed their bid for office. If that isn't God picking winners or losers, I don't know what is. Recall that when you vote for one of these clowns.
      I don't believe that I can vote for your champion.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Today in derp.

A Wisconsin sheriff who is frequently a guest on Fox News predicted Tuesday night that the anti-police brutality organization Black Lives Matter will eventually join forces with the Islamic State terror group.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          I don't believe that I can vote for your champion.
          I have a feeling she has factored that in.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Specific citations please for Republican candidates who claim "God endorsed" their bid for the Presidency. They talking about God in general doesn't count as that's a different thing than claiming an endorsement. Seriously, I would view it as a negative if anyone claims God endorsed their specific candidacy. I'm ok with folks saying they think they are proposing things that align with God's teachings and such, but I've never like the endorsement claim.
            Originally posted by Priceless
            Good to see you're so reasonable.
            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
            Very well, said.
            Originally posted by Rover
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
              Specific citations please for Republican candidates who claim "God endorsed" their bid for the Presidency. They talking about God in general doesn't count as that's a different thing than claiming an endorsement. Seriously, I would view it as a negative if anyone claims God endorsed their specific candidacy. I'm ok with folks saying they think they are proposing things that align with God's teachings and such, but I've never like the endorsement claim.
              I think the last time God specifically endorsed anyone was by the River Jordan. But, heck, that was his kid.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                It's more of the Mike Huckabee crowd, who is known for saying things like, I prayed long and hard on this. I spoke to God, and that's when he told me to run - not the Kwik-E-Mart, but for President of the United States. While I'm not quoting the man on this, I have seen clips of him over the years saying something very close to that.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  It's more of the Mike Huckabee crowd, who is known for saying things like, I prayed long and hard on this. I spoke to God, and that's when he told me to run - not the Kwik-E-Mart, but for President of the United States. While I'm not quoting the man on this, I have seen clips of him over the years saying something very close to that.
                  I'd just note that feeling God led you to run for President of the United States is not the same as saying he has endorsed your campaign. In some ways similar and easy to spin as being the same on the surface, but ultimately quite different. A number of people could feel led to run for President, yet God that doesn't mean God somehow "endorses" them, whatever that even means.
                  Originally posted by Priceless
                  Good to see you're so reasonable.
                  Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                  Very well, said.
                  Originally posted by Rover
                  A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                    http://www.salon.com/2015/07/22/gods...s_them_to_run/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...n-winner.html#

Saying "I pray to God that I'm making the right decision" is different than the Lord is guiding my campaign. How, Bob, would any mortal know that?

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Saying "I pray to God that I'm making the right decision" is different than the Lord is guiding my campaign. How, Bob, would any mortal know that?
                      Saying "I pray to God that I'm making the right decision" has a double-meaning. To normal people it says "When making decisions I keep in mind we are all fallible, and I do the best I can." But to people who fervently believe in literalism and the effective power of prayer it can mean you're dialing for divine inspiration.

Politics is the ability, when confronted by two people who violently disagree with each other, to be able to say words that each person goes away thinking "that guy's on my side." The "I'll pray on it" gambit is one of the most popular ploys -- it plays to sell out crowds among the hyper-faithful, and nobody else takes it as anything more than a meaningless expression.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 10-30-2015, 09:20 AM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Saying "I pray to God that I'm making the right decision" has a double-meaning. To normal people it says "When making decisions I keep in mind we are all fallible, and I do the best I can." But people who actually believe in literalism and the effective power of prayer it means you're actually dialing for divine inspiration.

Politics is the ability, when confronted by two people who violently disagree with each other, to be able to say words that each person goes away thinking "that guy's on my side." The "I'll pray on it" gambit is one of the most popular plays -- it plays to sell out crowds among the hyper-faithful, and nobody else takes it as anything more than a meaningless expression.
                        No, it has only one meaning. Your kind created the second meaning in order to push your agenda. Just like how the word "patriot" can no longer be used in connection with freedom because of the PATRIOT Act, or how the word "safe" created defencelessness and danger in NYS.

Vocabulary has been the ultimate weapon for many years. Eventually, the double meanings will bring the world down to minimal language and dumb sheep that are very easily manipulated.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          No, it has only one meaning. Your kind created the second meaning in order to push your agenda. Just like how the word "patriot" can no longer be used in connection with freedom because of the PATRIOT Act, or how the word "safe" created defencelessness and danger in NYS.

Vocabulary has been the ultimate weapon for many years. Eventually, the double meanings will bring the world down to minimal language and dumb sheep that are very easily manipulated.
                          My "kind"?
                          Cornell University

Comment

It definitely worked in your case. Your posts couldn't get any dumber if you tried!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              It had me scratching my head too. Let us all agree that fear makes for some awfully strange (and bad) legislation.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Your kind created the second meaning in order to push your agenda. Just like how the word "patriot" can no longer be used in connection with freedom because of the PATRIOT Act, or how the word "safe" created defencelessness and danger in NYS.

Wow. You do illustrate your point well, Flaggy.

Comment

Working...
                                X