X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part X - A link to a fore gone conclusion

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I'll say. How many non-Christian presidents again?
    One less than the number of Jewish PM's of Great Britain.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
      Which of course has almost nothing to do with the cultural tides in this country, which demonstrate what I say in spades.
      On the contrary, it has everything to do with it, but religious conservatives feel entitled to it so it's just a ground condition that they make evaporate.

Losing unearned privilege is never easy, since in most cases the beneficiaries have never even considered a world where it doesn't exist -- it's just "the way things are." As the country really does accommodate other views than the age-old Haves, lots of stuff is going to become acceptable and even preferable than what we cranky old white males are comfortable with. The rest of the country has had to walk ten steps towards us to get anywhere through all American history. Now that we have to walk one step towards them some of us are wailing. I imagine our discomfort is giving all the other people of the country a nice laugh.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

On the contrary, it has everything to do with it, but religious conservatives feel entitled to it so it's just a ground condition that they make evaporate.

Losing unearned privilege is never easy, since in most cases the beneficiaries have never even considered a world where it doesn't exist -- it's just "the way things are." As the country really does accommodate other views than the age-old Haves, lots of stuff is going to become acceptable and even preferable than what we cranky old white males are comfortable with. The rest of the country has had to walk ten steps towards us to get anywhere through all American history. Now that we have to walk one step towards them some of us are wailing. I imagine our discomfort is giving all the other people of the country a nice laugh.
        No. Just no. Presidents traditionally have identified as Christian because Christian mores predominated in this country. As those mores fade more and more, and in some cases become downright unpopular (to the point of being harassed for holding them), Presidents have less need to identify as Christian, with things now reaching a point where holding traditional Christian views on a number of subjects will be increasingly problematic to getting elected. Of course some will still make a pronouncement or two about being Christian to try to pull in a few votes, but the days of it being some thing you have to do in this country are fading if not gone. There is virtually nothing in public discourse and culture that reflects traditional Christian values at this point in time. Again, keep tilting at those windmills.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

There is virtually nothing in public discourse and culture that reflects traditional Christian values at this point in time.
          Depends what you mean by "Christian values." The Christian concern for the poor is still very much alive on the left of this country, as is the Christian idea that all men are of equal value in the eyes of the Lord. The right may have left Christianity in their pursuit of wealth and power, but a few of us are gamely hanging on.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No. Just no. Presidents traditionally have identified as Christian because Christian mores predominated in this country. As those mores fade more and more, and in some cases become downright unpopular (to the point of being harassed for holding them), Presidents have less need to identify as Christian, with things now reaching a point where holding traditional Christian views on a number of subjects will be increasingly problematic to getting elected. Of course some will still make a pronouncement or two about being Christian to try to pull in a few votes, but the days of it being some thing you have to do in this country are fading if not gone. There is virtually nothing in public discourse and culture that reflects traditional Christian values at this point in time. Again, keep tilting at those windmills.
            It should be added that Christianity was used as a tool to pit the US citizens against the USSR, hence why "under God" was added to the propoganda of allegiance.

Comment

Depends what you mean by "Christian values." The Christian concern for the poor is still very much alive on the left of this country, as is the Christian idea that all men are of equal value in the eyes of the Lord. The right may have left Christianity in their pursuit of wealth and power, but a few of us are gamely hanging on.
              And how much is concern for the poor and men being of equal value reflected in popular culture and public discourse? They are afterthoughts at best. But, glad to see you really aren't disputing my underlying contention. Tell me the last time there was a TV show that had a character positively portrayed and reflecting Christian beliefs? And citing TBN doesn't count. To the extent Christians are mentioned in TV, they are caricatures.
              Very well, said.
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

And how much is concern for the poor and men being of equal value reflected in popular culture and public discourse? They are afterthoughts at best. But, glad to see you really aren't disputing my underlying contention. Tell me the last time there was a TV show that had a character positively portrayed and reflecting Christian beliefs? And citing TBN doesn't count. To the extent Christians are mentioned in TV, they are caricatures.
                700 Club on ABC Family. Or how about EWTN?

As I've always said, though, the Romans took Christianity and screwed it up, so now we have what we have.

Comment

Bob, Christianity screwed up by associating itself too closely to one political party. That had the disasterous effect of politicizing the church, primarily starting in the 1980's. Having gone to church myself back in the day and for a time more recently, I don't want the priest/minister/rabbi/iman insinuating who I should vote for even if they back flaming liberals. Obviously repeated scandals haven't helped from cooking the books to covering up sexual abuse, but the decline in attendance started long before that. If churches collectively have lost sight of their mission and have turned into political vehicles for pandering politicians, then why would you be surprised if the populace decided to find their own way of worshiping whatever God they believe in?
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Bob, Christianity screwed up by associating itself too closely to one political party.
                    That wasn't "Christianity," it was just one very loud, vicious, narrow-minded portion of Christianity. Given the number of Christians in the country I'll bet a majority of Democrats are Christian. They just aren't this jackhole's version.

The funny thing about the evangelicals' victimization complex at the hands of the "secular humanists" is that the mainstream Christians are just are revolted by them.

But, as we all know, that means they aren't "really" Christians...
                    Cornell University

Comment

That wasn't "Christianity," it was just one very loud, vicious, narrow-minded portion of Christianity. Given the number of Christians in the country I'll bet a majority of Democrats are Christian. They just aren't this jackhole's version.

The funny thing about the evangelicals' victimization complex at the hands of the "secular humanists" is that the mainstream Christians are just are revolted by them.

But, as we all know, that means they aren't "really" Christians...
                      They ruined it for everybody else though, and its going to take churches at least a generation to fix that with positive outreach, something Catholic churches at least aren't good at. Figure based on polls about overturning Roe v Wade or gay marriage about 35-40% of people are social cons. Then weed out the Sunshine Christians who talk to talk but when it comes time to actually living a Christian lifestyle or going to church are nowhere to be found (Sen. Larry Craig picking up men in airport bathrooms, Morals Czar Bill Bennett and his million dollar gambling problem) and you're left with half of them - about the portion of the country that says they attend church regularly. It wasn't always like this as religion used to transcend political beliefs. Not anymore and you can thank that New Right-Moral Majority-Organized Christian Church alliance in the 80's for that.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

They ruined it for everybody else though, and its going to take churches at least a generation to fix that with positive outreach, something Catholic churches at least aren't good at.
                        There's always a tension between between those who observe The Law but lose The Message and those who follow The Message and if that puts them on the wrong side of The Law so be it. The organized churches don't matter -- the Catholics and Orthodox churches will s l o w l y turn like the immense aircraft carriers they are and eventually move into today's social currents -- in about 500 years , while the Protestant "churches" are all provisional and mercurial and don't matter anyway -- they'll all have been renamed, replaced, or just gone extinct in a century or less.

And for the meantime Christianity is going great guns in Africa and South America, and the South Koreans can't get enough of it. They'll do fine, but whites are going to be a small minority of Christians sooner rather than later. They may already be.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Bob, Christianity screwed up by associating itself too closely to one political party. That had the disasterous effect of politicizing the church, primarily starting in the 1980's. Having gone to church myself back in the day and for a time more recently, I don't want the priest/minister/rabbi/iman insinuating who I should vote for even if they back flaming liberals. Obviously repeated scandals haven't helped from cooking the books to covering up sexual abuse, but the decline in attendance started long before that. If churches collectively have lost sight of their mission and have turned into political vehicles for pandering politicians, then why would you be surprised if the populace decided to find their own way of worshiping whatever God they believe in?
                          They were driven to one political party by the other party's wholesale rejection and even at times mocking of their values. Most Christians I know don't like either political party, but as with so many of us, they hold their nose and vote for the lesser evil. They just measure the lesser evil differently than some other people. Really not that complicated.

The decline in attendance is a complicated issue with a number of different facets and I've actually commented on that in some detail around here somewhere pretty recently, but I don't think any political angle is the main driver.
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

There's always a tension between between those who observe The Law but lose The Message and those who follow The Message and if that puts them on the wrong side of The Law so be it. The organized churches don't matter -- the Catholics and Orthodox churches will s l o w l y turn like the immense aircraft carriers they are and eventually move into today's social currents -- in about 500 years , while the Protestant "churches" are all provisional and mercurial and don't matter anyway -- they'll all have been renamed, replaced, or just gone extinct in a century or less.

And for the meantime Christianity is going great guns in Africa and South America, and the South Koreans can't get enough of it. They'll do fine, but whites are going to be a small minority of Christians sooner rather than later. They may already be.
                            They most certainly already are. I've read things saying that the nation with the most Christians (however that would be measured, which I'm not sure) is likely China.

That part of The Law and The Message lost me.
                            Very well, said.
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

The decline in attendance is a complicated issue with a number of different facets and I've actually commented on that in some detail around here somewhere pretty recently, but I don't think any political angle is the main driver.
                              I think you're right. Attendance flatlined in Europe and they had no major party nailing themselves up on the cross the way the GOP did.

The GOP-Thumper axis has a lot to answer for, but not decreasing church attendance.
                              Cornell University

Comment

That part of The Law and The Message lost me.
                                That worries me. It's what Jesus was on about.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X