X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part X - A link to a fore gone conclusion

Is blackmail a crime?

Regardless - the question of the day. .

If gun-free zones are effective and border fences are ineffective, why is the border of the White House surrounded by a huge fence guarded by lots of Secret Service agents with guns?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Is blackmail a crime?

If gun-free zones are effective and border fences are ineffective, why is the border of the White House surrounded by a huge fence guarded by lots of Secret Service agents with guns?
      Considering just about anybody can get in the White House or fly to it I find your assertion hilarious.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Is blackmail a crime?

First, blackmail's only a crime if you get caught and someone convicts you.

Second, rules about weapons don't apply to the ruling class.

Third, do as they say, not as they do.

Comment

Is blackmail a crime?

Has someone suggested we build a 2000 mile long fence with white house level personnel coverage? If so, has someone suggested that this wouldn't be effective?

Comment

Depends on if the victim threatened Hastert with exposure if he didn't pay up. This whole thing is pretty odd, as $3.5M and counting is a lot of dough for a payoff. This leads to the question of 1) where does Hastert get all of this money as he wasn't rich when he got to Congress, and 2) what exactly does this person have on him?

Strom Thurmond supported his black illegitimate daughter somewhat throughout his life, but I've never heard that she blackmailed (no pun intended) him into it. Only Hastert can speak to his motivations, but if this is true he's going to go down in history and not in a good way.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
              Has someone suggested we build a 2000 mile long fence with white house level personnel coverage? If so, has someone suggested that this wouldn't be effective?
              Glory to Arstotzka.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Glory to Arstotzka.
                I can't win at this, and I am annoyed at you for reminding me.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Glory to Arstotzka.
                  Cause no trouble.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Today in Republicanism:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...D=sm_fb_maddow

Rev. Franklin Graham is calling for a boycott of gay-friendly businesses, beginning by pulling his ministry’s accounts from Wells Fargo after the bank ran an ad featuring a gay couple.

Graham, son of the famed evangelical pastor Billy Graham, runs the church his father started, the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, which had net assets of $295 million in 2014, according to the most recent data available on the ministry’s website.

Right Wing Watch explained that the evangelical pastor is moving his ministry’s accounts to BB&T, another North Carolina-based bank. Oops.

Graham may not have done much research, as BB&T has received an 80 percent score in the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index and this year is the sponsor of the Miami Beach Gay Pride Parade, along with the chief sponsor of Miami Beach Gay Pride’s “Legacy Couples” program, which celebrates same-sex couples in “committed relationships of 10 years or longer.”

A bank spokesman said the company hopes to “support the individuals and organizations that broaden our perspectives and strengthen the diverse fabric of our communities. That’s why BB&T is proud to be a part of this day of pride and celebration of the 2015 Legacy Couples.”

In fact, BB&T hosted a same-sex couple’s wedding reception earlier this year “in a makeshift chapel at event sponsor BB&T Bank South Beach branch.
                    I swear these people are brain dead.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

He's not going to find a bank that can handle $295MM in deposits that supports his views. He'd have to find a small community bank that has only a branch or three if he wants one that's not gay friendly. Even then he'll have to pay close attention. Simply put, he's out of options.

ETA: Excuse me, he has $295MM in assets, which would likely give his org around $10-15MM in deposits. My point still stands.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        He's not going to find a bank that can handle $295MM in deposits that supports his views. He'd have to find a small community bank that has only a branch or three if he wants one that's not gay friendly. Even then he'll have to pay close attention. Simply put, he's out of options.

ETA: Excuse me, he has $295MM in assets, which would likely give his org around $10-15MM in deposits. My point still stands.
                        I'm surprised they're not trying to create a parallel economy. They've got parallel churchs, think tanks, media outlets, and schools, why not create parallel banks, law firms, and insurance companies to go with the likes of Hobby Lobby, Cracker Barrel, Purina, and Chick-fil-A?

I'm not really kidding -- they'd have to be careful about staying right on the line of civil rights laws, but they could probably get away with a lot of Neanderthal crap, and they have an enormous consumer base to exploit. It could work like the Hasidim, right down to the wire fraud and molestation.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 06-10-2015, 10:06 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I'm surprised they're not trying to create a parallel economy. They've got parallel churchs, think tanks, media outlets, and schools, why not create parallel banks, law firms, and insurance companies to go with the likes of Hobby Lobby, Cracker Barrel, Purina, and Chick-fil-A?

I'm not really kidding -- they'd have to be careful about staying right on the line of civil rights laws, but they could probably get away with a lot of Neanderthal crap, and they have an enormous consumer base to exploit. It could work like the Hasidim, right down to the wire fraud and molestation.
                          Banks are highly regulated institutions, so I'm not sure The First National Bank of the Klan could get a charter. Beyond that though, if the banking industry could prevent Wal-Mart from offering banking services due to the threat of competition, Franklin Graham doesn't have a prayer (pun intended).
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Graham's move doesn't make sense to me, especially looking long term. The PC police will increasingly hound those who do not conform and moving business to entities that haven't caved in yet is at best a short term stop gap measure, as eventually all will submit or will be hounded out of business.
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

He should have thought of that, or at least done his research, before he opened his mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                Banks are highly regulated institutions, so I'm not sure The First National Bank of the Klan could get a charter. Beyond that though, if the banking industry could prevent Wal-Mart from offering banking services due to the threat of competition, Franklin Graham doesn't have a prayer (pun intended).
                                It's possible they could get a charter. FDIC insurance, on the other hand, probably wouldn't happen.

There was a time when credit unions were created for the sole use of dues-paying members of various unions and their families, hence why they still have some corporate ties, as do some banks (Ally was originally the financing division for General Motors before they went independent; H&R Block also had a similar financial institution, as I remember that was the reason I bought their stock, as the panic over that sale made zero sense to me). Obviously credit unions have started to open their doors to everyone, mostly catering to people trying to circumvent Glass-Steagall and Dodd-Frank, and they have their own insuring agency.

Comment

Working...
                                X