X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2nd Term Part X - A link to a fore gone conclusion

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    All people who become President say things on the campaign trail that they don't follow through with, but to be this explicit in promising something and then not following through for uncertain/arguable foreign policy benefits is more blatant than most things. It's not like there is any equivocation in what Obama said in 2008.
    Yeah, I have to agree with Bob, here. I have no doubt that Obama feels he can't alienate the Turkish government now. Erdoğan will have to answer to his people; Obama has to deal with Erdoğan; the Turkish people would be outraged if Obama called a spade a spade -- that's the calculus. It's as if you were sucking up to the President of Alabama and the anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation came up. The Alabama government knows very well that slavery was bad, but they also know their population are a bunch of racist mouthbreeders, so if you want something from the PoA you'd better ixne on the averysle.

However, Obama made an explicit, simple, non-misunderstable campaign promise. He has to either follow through, or tell the Armenians "my bad, the current conditions of the world do not permit me to do this." That's embarrassing and makes him look weak to the type of person who expresses himself by punching walls, but he made his own bed, and we lost the cementhead types to the GOP long ago anyway and frankly good riddance.
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-22-2015, 01:54 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Yeah, I have to agree with Bob, here. I have no doubt that Obama feels he can't alienate the Turkish government now. Erdoğan will have to answer to his people; Obama has to deal with Erdoğan; the Turkish people would be outraged if Obama called a spade a spade -- that's the calculus. It's as if you were sucking up to the President of Alabama and the anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation came up. The Alabama government knows very well that slavery was bad, but they also know their population are a bunch of racist mouthbreeders, so if you want something from the PoA you'd better ixne on the averysle.

However, Obama made an explicit, simple, non-misunderstable campaign promise. He has to either follow through, or tell the Armenians "my bad, the current conditions of the world do not permit me to do this." That's embarrassing and makes him look weak to the type of person who expresses himself by punching walls, but he made his own bed, and we lost the cementhead types to the GOP long ago anyway and frankly good riddance.
      If he did the latter, the world wouldn't expect anything different. After all, he started his reign by doing an apology tour.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        If he did the latter, the world wouldn't expect anything different. After all, he started his reign by doing an apology tour.
        At some point you'll probably have to make up your mind whether you're Alex Jones or Pat Buchanan.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

For a guy who supposedly hates Republicans, you sure use tired Republican memes a lot.

Comment

At some point you'll probably have to make up your mind whether you're Alex Jones or Pat Buchanan.
            Why the heck would I want to be someone else? That's no fun!

Comment

Why the heck would I want to be someone else? That's no fun!
              Well, when with one breath you're saying "Obama isn't an American exceptionalist -- boo!" and with the next you're saying "Imperialism is the facade the reptilians from Alpha Draconis use to divide and conquer us!," you'll forgive me for thinking you're not coherent.
              Cornell University

Comment

Well, when with one breath you're saying "Obama isn't an American exceptionalist -- boo!" and with the next you're saying "Imperialism is the facade the reptilians from Alpha Draconis use to divide and conquer us!," you'll forgive me for thinking you're not coherent.
                Never did I use those words.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  Always painful to admit, but Bob is right on this one.

The bigger question is why are Turkey's current leaders so afraid of correctly labeling an event that happened 40 years before THEY were born?
                  I think we still see that same phenomenon all around the world. I'm trying to think of a good example within this country but alas, I'm at work, it's late, and my shutdown is brained.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Well there's one group that happens to think Obama is doing great on foreign policy. The world. Support for US leadership grew from a statistical tie with China to about 50% higher starting in about 2009. I'm not sure what happened in 2009.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/182795/ru...d-highest.aspx

Oh other interesting tidbits in this...
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

You might not get knuckledragger status, but I will welcome you into the light of states' rights. Republicans evolved (by a few "generations") from the Federalists, so of course they champion big government.
                      I'm not a civil war geek by any means, but didn't Jefferson Davis (along with Uncle Bob Lee) lament the stubborn states' rights contingent that formed the core of the Confederacy but also became a substantial factor in its inability to provide organized and unified support for the war effort?

Comment

Okay, so now that we're one day passed the anniversary apparently, what's the new OUTRAGE OF THE DAY!!!! by our knuckledragger friends? I heard Obama failed to stop and pet a dog during one of his campaign stops. Could this be the first hint of him being an anticaninite????
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          For a guy who supposedly hates Republicans, you sure use tired Republican memes a lot.
                          He voted for Dubya, he doesnt hate Republicans.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            Okay, so now that we're one day passed the anniversary apparently, what's the new OUTRAGE OF THE DAY!!!! by our knuckledragger friends? I heard Obama failed to stop and pet a dog during one of his campaign stops. Could this be the first hint of him being an anticaninite????
                            You telling us he's running for a third term? He's violated most of the Constitution already; might as well violate the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              I'm not a civil war geek by any means, but didn't Jefferson Davis (along with Uncle Bob Lee) lament the stubborn states' rights contingent that formed the core of the Confederacy but also became a substantial factor in its inability to provide organized and unified support for the war effort?
                              The timing of your post is excellent!

http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2015/04/how-the-constitution-was-defeated-in-1788
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

You telling us he's running for a third term? He's violated most of the Constitution already; might as well violate the rest.
                                Works for me, but I have a feeling you're going to be getting used to Bill Clinton's 3rd term in the form of Hillary instead.

This does raise an interesting point thought. With approval ratings creeping back towards 50%, I'd expect to see Obama hitting the campaign trail for Hillary, although not as often as the most popular politician in America, President Clinton. Question for you and your pals: Will we finally see George W Bush in a GOP political ad? Almost like the dude's fallen off the face of the Earth. I wonder why....
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X