Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part III - Let's have a healthy debate!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part III - Let's have a healthy debate!

Even holding your baby will cost you. http://www.syracuse.com/health/index...born_baby.html

Comment

Looks like someone else agrees with Scooby
      You’ve got this crazy system where all of a sudden 25 million more people have health care and then the people are out there busting it, sometimes 60 hours a week, wind up with their premiums doubled and their coverage cut in half. It’s the craziest thing in the world.
      "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
      Groucho Marx
      "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
      Ron White
      "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
      Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
        He's 100% correct.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
          It is, as many people have stated -- some out of fear, some simply resigned to the fact, and others almost giddy about it -- the build up to single-payer health insurance, AKA government run health care.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

PPACA is the greatest gift Republicans will ever receive. Before it everybody complained about the cost of medical care. After it everybody complains about the cost of medical care but now they can blame it all on that rotten gubmint!
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Before [PPACA] everybody complained about the cost of medical care. After it everybody complains about the cost of medical care...
              One thing I find extremely annoying as an empiricist is how people in general (nothing to do with you in this case...) complain about "the" cost of medical care, when "medical care" covers so many different things:
              -- as income increases, one would expect elective medical care to be utilized more. If I'm poor, my kids grow up with crooked teeth, and can eat just fine; if I'm rich, my kids get Invisalign. That's an "increase" in the cost of care that has nothing to do with basic care costing more at all. Similar with many situations of elective cosmetic surgery. If someone is mauled by a dog, then cosmetic surgery is not elective but pretty much necessary; if someone is just fine except for a few wrinkles, well, again that "increase" in the cost of care is not "really" a "cost increase" at all, if you know what I mean.
              -- suppose improved medical care saves lives. Are we really going to complain that the cost of medical care is increasing because lots of people who'd have died already are now still alive??*
              -- in line with the above, suppose innovations in medical care improve people's daily lives: if I lose my legs below my knees, now I can use prosthetics to walk, instead of being in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

What we really need is not merely an examination of the cost side, but also the benefit side as well. If medical care costs increase by $10 billion but quality of life measures increase by $20 billion, that sounds like a great ROI to me! but nowhere do I see any hard data on what kind of return we get for our improvements in medical care.

* I am reminded of the classic brain teaser about the British army in WWI: they introduce a new innovation for their soldiers, and brain injuries increase by 2,000%. They are delighted! answer in white: the innovation is steel helmets. these soldiers are now alive
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                PPACA is the greatest gift Republicans will ever receive. Before it everybody complained about the cost of medical care. After it everybody complains about the cost of medical care but now they can blame it all on that rotten gubmint!
                ... and Obama. It don't count unless you add that.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

PS to # 771. Another indication that many of the people behind PPACA didn't quite know what they were doing..... the text of the law itself (ugh) reads like some eager college student interns did a few internet searches and then copied and pasted some of what they found. any professional actuarial expertise obviously was sorely lacking....
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    PS to # 771. Another indication that many of the people behind PPACA didn't quite know what they were doing..... the text of the law itself (ugh) reads like some eager college student interns did a few internet searches and then copied and pasted some of what they found. any professional actuarial expertise obviously was sorely lacking....
                    We had to pass it to find out what was in there.
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      That's how you make sausage. Or you let lobbyists write it.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Hear my favorite Minnesota Republican today on news radio. He is endorsing Hillary. He is asking Weld to drop out of the race cause Johnson is an idiot and we don't need a 3rd party getting Trump elected. And, he agrees with me and Bill Clinton on Obamacare. He blames a complete lack of MANAGEMENT and OVERSIGHT (Hello you Republican ****tards in Congress) for it's problems and possible failure.

Today was a good day. It's good to be validated once in a while.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          It's good to be validated once in a while.
                          Even when it's usually by the voices in your head?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            Hear my favorite Minnesota Republican today on news radio. He is endorsing Hillary. He is asking Weld to drop out of the race cause Johnson is an idiot and we don't need a 3rd party getting Trump elected.
                            Weld agrees.

Libertarian vice presidential nominee Bill Weld says he will spend the next 34 days working to deny Republican nominee Donald Trump the presidency, and may someday rejoin the Republican Party to help it rebuild in the wake of Trump's candidacy.

Weld, a former Republican governor of Massachusetts, isn't abandoning the Libertarian ticket or his running mate, Gary Johnson. But in an interview with the Boston Globe, Weld made it clear he has no intention of playing third party spoiler to Democrat Hillary Clinton and handing the White House to Trump on Nov. 8.

His plan, according to the Globe, is aimed at undermining Trump's support in some traditionally red states where where Republicans are more inclined to vote against Clinton than for Trump, or where the Libertarian ticket is running ahead of its standing of about 7 percent in national polls. He also will focus on New Hampshire, a key swing state with an independent streak that allows Libertarian candidates to gain a foothold there.

"I have had in mind all along trying to get the Donald into third place, and with some tugging and hauling, we might get there," Weld told the Globe.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Gov. Mark Dayton (D, MN) says Affordable Care Act has become unaffordable, needs reforms
                              He stressed it helps many, but has "serious blemishes."

http://www.startribune.com/dayton-sa...rms/396864871/

What do you do when your signature legislation, the Affordable Care Act, ... isn't.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                Gov. Mark Dayton (D, MN) says Affordable Care Act has become unaffordable, needs reforms
                                He stressed it helps many, but has "serious blemishes."

http://www.startribune.com/dayton-sa...rms/396864871/

What do you do when your signature legislation, the Affordable Care Act, ... isn't.
                                You adjust like with every other program in history. But when the other side is obsessed with a repeal drag act that will instantly remove 14 million people from insurance, you have to wait until you control Congress to do it.

Nice try, though.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X