Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part III - Let's have a healthy debate!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part III - Let's have a healthy debate!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    More ammunition for the it's a flawed law crowd.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...auI/story.html
    It's all part of the plan. If they can't get single payer by law, they'll use free market manipulation to artificially create a monopoly and then use that as the single payer.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      It's all part of the plan. If they can't get single payer by law, they'll use free market manipulation to artificially create a monopoly and then use that as the single payer.
      Sounds like a plan.

The only alarmist language I heard during the WE MUST KILL OBAMACARE!!!11 circus that was true was that it was a wedge that would eventually result in single payer. That's true -- the problems with the ACA are solveable by expanding Medicare to include all Americans, whereas the advantages are already obvious to all but the most blindly partisan. Basically the ACA is a sane health care system with insurance company profits grafted onto it artificially because 'MURICA ECONOMIC FREEDUMB. The heavy lifting on the healthcare portion has been done. What's left is to burn off the vestigial vampire squid of Aetna and Cigna. We don't have the political will to do that in this White House and Congress, but it'll happen sometime down the line when taxpayers get sick of funneling windfalls to those guys.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Sounds like a plan.

The only alarmist language I heard during the WE MUST KILL OBAMACARE!!!11 circus that was true was that it was a wedge that would eventually result in single payer. That's true -- the problems with the ACA are solveable by expanding Medicare to include all Americans, whereas the advantages are already obvious to all but the most blindly partisan. Basically the ACA is a sane health care system with insurance company profits grafted onto it artificially because 'MURICA ECONOMIC FREEDUMB. The heavy lifting on the healthcare portion has been done. What's left is to burn off the vestigial vampire squid of Aetna and Cigna. We don't have the political will to do that in this White House and Congress, but it'll happen sometime down the line when taxpayers get sick of funneling windfalls to those guys.
        Biggest issue I see with Medicare is that it is still a forced monopoly, i.e. it is a FELONY to pay for medical coverage out of pocket if your plan covers it. That's the biggest reason that said "blindly partisans" talk about death panels and delays in care, and is why people from other countries flock here to get procedures done. On top of that, you're forcing people to pay for something they either don't use or don't have the income to make, which is against one of the founding principles of this nation. If you address those two points, you might be able to make some headway. Until then, you will encounter resistance.

Comment

Biggest issue I see with Medicare is that it is still a forced monopoly, i.e. it is a FELONY to pay for medical coverage out of pocket if your plan covers it.
          In principle I have no problem if the Kochs want to pay out of pocket for their ritual diamond bloodlettings or whatever. I'm all for the rich still getting to do their richie rich stuff, as long as they help foot the bill for the poor to get coverage.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

On top of that, you're forcing people to pay for something they either don't use or don't have the income to make, which is against one of the founding principles of this nation.
            That's an overstatement. We pay for schools even if we don't have kids. There are plenty of public goods we pay for that we don't directly use. The Founders were cool with that, by the way -- they weren't nearly the cray cray anarchists the Church of Latter Day Rockwell thinks they were.

As far as forcing people to pay for something they can't afford, I'm all for a completely public system paid for out of the general fund and supported by tax dollars which are collected via a highly progressive tax system, so I'm not tapping folks who can't afford it. Quite the opposite.
            Cornell University

Comment

In principle I have no problem if the Kochs want to pay out of pocket for their ritual diamond bloodlettings or whatever. I'm all for the rich still getting to do their richie rich stuff, as long as they help foot the bill for the poor to get coverage.
              Wait, I assume it isn't a felony to pay for medical coverage OOP, so what's he screeching about?
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Wait, I assume it isn't a felony to pay for medical coverage OOP, so what's he screeching about?
                You'll have to ask him. I think he's saying if Koch wants a new kidney and the actuarial algorithm says he's behind 290 million more deserving candidates, there's no provision for him to legally buy his way to the front of the line. I'm saying that I support a system where he can do so. That'll be $10 billion, please, and no I won't take a check. I'm willing to let John Hoyt on the rocket if he pays for it.
                Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Actually, if you're on Medicare, and you try to pay for something that is covered by your present Medicare coverage OOP, it is a felony. If it's not covered, OOP is fine. This was something covered by Herman Cain when he described his plan for health care reformation.

Comment

That's an overstatement. We pay for schools even if we don't have kids. There are plenty of public goods we pay for that we don't directly use. The Founders were cool with that, by the way -- they weren't nearly the cray cray anarchists the Church of Latter Day Rockwell thinks they were.

As far as forcing people to pay for something they can't afford, I'm all for a completely public system paid for out of the general fund and supported by tax dollars which are collected via a highly progressive tax system, so I'm not tapping folks who can't afford it. Quite the opposite.
                    Not an overstatement at all. The homeless don't pay for schools, because said taxes are based upon your ownership of property in a specific district. Renters don't pay it directly, although lanlords will typically pass said cost onto the renter in the form of total rent cost.

As for tapping folks who can't afford it, guess what the PPACA does, if you read it closely. And before you start claiming exemptions, you still have to report it to the federal government, and you have to pay a certain amount to be able to send said information tot he government.

Comment

And yet another merger to get to that point. http://www.cnbc.com/id/102811310

Comment

And yet another merger to get to that point. http://www.cnbc.com/id/102811310
                        In a world where banks are too-big-to-fail, and thus too big to merge, we have this. A 23% premium seems a bit much to me for a normal merger, for some reason.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          In a world where banks are too-big-to-fail, and thus too big to merge, we have this. A 23% premium seems a bit much to me for a normal merger, for some reason.
                          We'll have to see what the regulatory agencies have to say about this, as well as the "status" of said regulators if they say no.

Comment

That merger needs to be blocked just like Time Warner/Comcast was blocked.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              That merger needs to be blocked just like Time Warner/Comcast was blocked.
                              They'll have 180 days to decide. Time Warner's trying another merger, this time with Charter.

Comment

How dare you assist with health costs! http://www.independentsentinel.com/i...care-premiums/

Comment

Working...
                                X