Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PPACA Thread Part III - Let's have a healthy debate!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions
    1. Were they uninsured?
    2. What is the cost for a C-Section in the UK before insurance is applied?
    3. Since when does having insurance ensure your access to health care?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: The PPACA Thread Part III - Let's have a healthy debate!

From 2013:
      • The average cost of a hospital delivery in America is $9,775, the highest in the world
      • In France, delivery costs $3,541, and in the UK it is just $2,641
      • Many industrialized countries offer flat fees for prenatal care and delivery, but in America, there is a separate charge for everything from a blood test to removing the placenta

Even insured women in the U.S. pay out-of-pocket costs of $3,400 on average, compared to little or nothing 20 years ago. The difference in the cost of pregnancy and delivery between the U.S. and other industrialized countries is staggering. In America, the average cost of a C-section delivery is $15,041, compared to $6,441 in France and just $4,435 in the United Kingdom. And while pregnancy and childbirth is less expensive in other countries, that's not to say it is any less comprehensive. Indeed, in Ireland, where women receive the same amount of high-tech maternity care as Americans, delivery is free at public hospitals. Women here can also opt to pay a fee for private deliveries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        From 2013:
        • The average cost of a hospital delivery in America is $9,775, the highest in the world
        • In France, delivery costs $3,541, and in the UK it is just $2,641
        • Many industrialized countries offer flat fees for prenatal care and delivery, but in America, there is a separate charge for everything from a blood test to removing the placenta
        I like the French model (about the only thing I do like about the French government). I think liability insurance and compliance is driving up our costs?

I was surprised how much it cost my kids to deliver my grandkids. It was free (or just about) when they were born. Now - over a grand. YIKES!
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          I like the French model (about the only thing I do like about the French government). I think liability insurance and compliance is driving up our costs?

I was surprised how much it cost my kids to deliver my grandkids. It was free (or just about) when they were born. Now - over a grand. YIKES!
          As I always say, for a $100 drug:

$1 for the materials, $1 for the profit, $98 for the potential lawsuit.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            As I always say, for a $100 drug:

$1 for the materials, $1 for the profit, $98 for the potential lawsuit.
            You're leaving out advertising. Have to let people know about that little blue pill that makes you stiff as a board for 4 hours.

In Europe you aren't allowed to advertise drugs.

Comment

I would have zero issues banning advertising for drugs.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                You're leaving out advertising. Have to let people know about that little blue pill that makes you stiff as a board for 4 hours.

In Europe you aren't allowed to advertise drugs.
                True, plenty of money is spent on marketing, and it's not limited to drugs or commercial ads, either. Even PSAs will push medical stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  True, plenty of money is spent on marketing, and it's not limited to drugs or commercial ads, either. Even PSAs will push medical stuff.
                  One of the worst kept marketing secrets of big pharma is the practice of hiring young, attractive women as "sales reps" to drop off med samples and "free" lunch at doctor's offices.

Celebrity endorsements as well - Paula Dean was getting paid to hawk her diabetes meds, Phil Mickelson gets paid to talk up his arthritis meds, etc. It's a circus.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Where do I sign up?
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

DWI PSA, immediately followed by a Coors Light ad.

Comment

Could not agree more. The direct to consumer campaign in the media, advertising medications that only their doctor can write for them, is a major problem. They always show active attractive people having fun in life, doing all sorts of aerobic exercise. But listen carefully at the end as they roll through the side effects in that sweet voice monotone. And of course they should add, "ask your doctor if you suffer any of these side effects including death."
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          One of the worst kept marketing secrets of big pharma is the practice of hiring young, attractive women as "sales reps" to drop off med samples and "free" lunch at doctor's offices.
                          Never was offered a free meal in 40 years of practice. Wouldn't have gone anyway, not because of any moral grounds, simply because why would I want to sit there with some drug rep for a sales pitch? Young, attractive women as sales reps? Bring them on!!! My wife Jenny always screened them out in the front office and i only got to see older guys in bad fitting suits. As far as dropping off samples-i know all the negatives brought up but most of my patient population were seniors who could often not afford their medications and the samples helped them on so many occasions. Also helped to allow them to try something before they filled a prescription that might not be helpful but would cost a fortune and was never returnable.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            Never was offered a free meal in 40 years of practice. Wouldn't have gone anyway, not because of any moral grounds, simply because why would I want to sit there with some drug rep for a sales pitch? Young, attractive women as sales reps? Bring them on!!! My wife Jenny always screened them out in the front office and i only got to see older guys in bad fitting suits. As far as dropping off samples-i know all the negatives brought up but most of my patient population were seniors who could often not afford their medications and the samples helped them on so many occasions. Also helped to allow them to try something before they filled a prescription that might not be helpful but would cost a fortune and was never returnable.
                            I'm not saying that the samples are necessarily a bad thing - I've been given samples a couple of times when the doctor knows the med is name-brand with no generic equivalent, and will be a $40 co-pay.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              Young, attractive women as sales reps? Bring them on!!! My wife Jenny always screened them out in the front office and i only got to see older guys in bad fitting suits. .
                              No wonder you're crabby all the time.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

The ever-moving hot woman hood ornament profession:

40s - 50s: secretaries
                                60s - 70s: stewardesses
                                80s - 90s: paralegals
                                00s - 10s: pharmaceutical sales reps
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X